Which Paris Arrondissement is best?

Iamthesea

There is not a "best" Arondissement, it depends on you -- what you like, what you plan to do while in Paris.

I like the 1st Arondissement because it is close to the older historic areas of Paris -- Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, the Louvre, the Marais.

It's probably even more critical if you're planning on sightseeing all over Paris to make sure you're locating yourself near a central Metro hub, preferably one with multiple lines.

It's just a personel preference. We love the 5th and 6th (left bank) because of its mix of residential, commercial, gardens, etc. Many love the Marais area which became quite trendy over the past twenty years.

Hank

Depends on whether you want to be in the middle of it all, or get away from it all. I personally love the 5th, but many others consider it the "tourist ghetto" of Paris. The 6th is a bit trendy, but fun. The 1st is too rich for my blood, but would be a great place to stay if you have the money.

Area around the Eiffel Tower (7th) is beautiful and very Parisian IMO, but some feel it's not as centrally located.

Still others I know prefer to be in a more residential, quiet area. It's really your call.

What I think matters most is how close you will be to public transportation - especially a metro stop.

We stayed in 1, close to the Louvre and 7 with the Les Halles District. Also since it is close to the Seine, we could take the Bateau Boat to many attractions.

I like 7 with the Eiffel Tower and 8 with Champs Elysee too.

Rick Steves knows more than I do and recommends 7. Someone posted a really cool map of arrondissements and attractions, and I can't find it. Maybe s/he will post it again.

I agree; if you're reasonably close to the Metro, it should be fine.

There is not a "best" Arondissement, it depends on you -- what you like, what you plan to do while in Paris. I like the 1st Arondissement because it is close to the older historic areas of Paris -- Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, the Louvre, the Marais. It's probably even more critical if you're planning on sightseeing all over Paris to make sure you're locating yourself near a central Metro hub, preferably one with multiple lines.

Cynthia above makes excellent points on how much it all depends on your personal interests and desires. We like the "character and charm" in the Marais, Left Bank and other nearby areas. Those older, twisting streets are better for us than the somewhat boring, more commercial areas with wide streets, etc. Below are some of my notes for two of these older, more historic (and interesting) areas of Paris. Plus a few photo examples as "proof" for the beauty here and nearby in Paris.

LE MARAIS Area, NE of Hotel de Ville/City Hall, has Musee Picasso (structure built in 1659, opened in 1985 to settle his estate, open Wednesday-Monday 9:15 5:15) and Musee Carnavalet (built in 1540, two adjoining mansions with decorative arts from the various periods in Paris history), older area starting around metro St Paul station, has Jewish section in area with special foods and historic areas. It has the super great park and architecture of the Place des Vogue area. The Place des Vosges was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the house fronts were all built to the same design, of red brick with strips of stone over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII placed in the center of this charming park. Nearby is Brasserie Bofinger, one of the oldest and classiest places to dine (http://www.bofingerparis.com). It has a gorgeous domed stained-glass ceiling over the main dining room.

ILE SAINT LOUIS is one of the most charming little areas in all of Paris. So nice to stroll up its main street as you walk towards Notre Dame and other key highlights. Famed Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the rum raisin, dark chocolate (chocolat noir) and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. This is divine dessert territory. Lots of Boutique shopping and dining places line this street in the heart of Paris. Try Brasserie Ile St-Louis, 55 quai de Bourbon, 1er (tel. 01/43/54-02-59), that Frommers calls the last independent brasserie in Paris. They note: “Far from the polished restaurants that masquerade as true brasseries, this one has as its heart old Paris.”

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,700 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there. Lots of markets, dining places, etc., along this street.:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

Also on the interesting ille St. Louis island, here is the exterior (with a line) for great ice cream at Berthillon and its interior to be served such frozen treats.:

ParisIleStLouisBerthillonExterior.jpg

ParisIleStLouisBerthillonInterior.jpg

At the Sunday market near the Bastille and Marais, fresh seafood and much more!:

MarketSeafood.jpg

Dinner at Bofiner in the Marais area with its unique ceiling and charming interior:

BofinerDinner.jpg

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612.:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

Wa recently stayed in the Latin Quarter (hotel) just around the corner from St. Michele metro and it was fabulous - SO easy to get all around the city!

Cruisemom42, as usual, had the perfect answer - it all depend on YOU! Learn all you can about the different areas and then make your choice on what you like to do, where you want to go, and transportation vs. walking for YOU! (10 years ago many of our choices would have been different but now DH has a foot problem so we try and find "short-cuts" for walking!)

One more comment - TLCOPhio's photos are always fabulous (I often think I could just "steal" the photos, stay home and save money! - only kidding - I also want the memories!!) The one of Bofingers bring back great memories of a wonderful dinner! But if you're interested in going there make your resevations early - we did and walked right past the line hoping for no-shows! It was an enjoyable evening!!

One more comment - TLCOPhio's photos are always fabulous (I often think I could just "steal" the photos, stay home and save money! - only kidding - I also want the memories!!) The one of Bofingers bring back great memories of a wonderful dinner! But if you're interested in going there make your resevations early - we did and walked right past the line hoping for no-shows! It was an enjoyable evening!!

Appreciate so much the kind comments from our NYC/Queens friend on my photos. YES! Just borrow my pictures, stay home and split the savings with me. Then, I can travel more, have added pictures to post, etc. Great plan!!

Glad you went to Bofingers and that my photos brought back great memories. Below are a few additional visual examples that I have not posted previously on these boards. Lots of wonderful, fun potentials in Paris. Especially in the areas with more character, style and visual interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,788 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are examples of the many cute shops and dining places in these older areas of central Paris. First, a meat shop in the ille St. Louis area. Second, a tea shop in the Marais that has nice desserts and other treats.:

ParisMeatShopIlStLouis.jpg

ParisTeaShopDessertGoodies.jpg

Here is a sampling for the wonderful area around Luxembourg Palace and its interesting gardens. It is in the 6th arrondissement of Paris and the Palace is the seat of the French Senate. The palace was built as a royal residence for Marie de Médicis, mother of king Louis XIII, in the early 1600's. Its design was inspired by the work in her native Florence, Italy. The Jardin du Luxembourg is the second largest public park in Paris. The second picture shows the view of the Pantheon from the Luxembourg Palace/Garden area. The Pantheon in the Latin Quarter was originally built as a church in the mid 1700's and then made into a secular mausoleum containing the remains of distinguished French citizens, including Voltaire, Rousseau, Victor Hugo and Marie Curie.:

ParisLuxPalaceGardens.jpg

ParisLuxPalaceGard2Panthanon.jpg

Inside the Louvre, there is more than just paintings. First is an example for one of the many sculpture displays in these decorative old parts of the historic palace areas. Second, is an example of what was just one room as a part of the private apartments used by Napoleon III in the 1850’s and 1860’s. These are done in the Second Empire decorative style. Not a shy or subtle style of decorating that feature unique ceilings, walls, etc. One word coming to mind is opulent right?:

ParisLouvreInteriorSculptureHall.jpg

ParisNapIIILouvreApts.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last year, I spent almost two weeks in an apartment on Ile Saint Louis. The location was an oasis in the midst of the city!

An island in the middle of the Seine, Ile Saint Louis is not only an excellent location (situated between the Left and Right Banks, near Notre Dame), but it is a charming refuge at the end of a long day. In the mornings, I often walked along the Seine and observed the children heading to school; while in the evenings, coming "home," I would drop by Berthillon for ice cream. One evening I even stumbled across a pipe organ concert at the church across the street from my apartment.

As lodging can be somewhat expensive on the island, I happened to find my apartment (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5396) for a little over $100/night using AirBnb. However, I was alone. This year, when I considered returning with my family of 4, I found https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/159942 for around $150/night. In short, with some searching you *can* find a few reasonably priced, nice apartments in the neighborhood.

About the only downside would be the stairs. As the buildings here are rather old, albeit charming, they tend to be without lifts. If climbing stairs is out of the question, you may find this location unsuitable for you. But, if this is not an issue, I couldn't recommend the area highly enough. It's charming, safe (I traveled as a single female and often came home around 10pm or so) and a fabulous retreat from the hustle and bustle of Paris.

If you have any questions about the island, feel free to ask. As for me, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Paris.

• 5 months later...
There seem to be Paris experts on this thread. I am looking for a nice place for our last night in Paris. Great food, great atmosphere, possible view, for about $300 for the two of us. Thanks in advance.

For $300, you may want to look at nice boutique hotels and do a search on tripadvisor. Great advice by Cruisemom on finding a hotel near Metro. Even when finding a hotel near a Metro, check and see what lines that Metro station serves. We were lucky that our hotel was near two different Metro stations and each served several different lines.

As far as best Arondissement goes, we enjoyed staying in the 2nd (Right Bank), a short walk to the Louvre and Orsay, Opera, and the Marais. As you can see on this thread, that's a preference. I think it pays to be as close to the center as possible. I hope this helps.

3821851782_07cf4f3474.jpg

For $300, you may want to look at nice boutique hotels and do a search on tripadvisor. Great advice by Cruisemom on finding a hotel near Metro. Even when finding a hotel near a Metro, check and see what lines that Metro station serves. We were lucky that our hotel was near two different Metro stations and each served several different lines.

As far as best Arondissement goes, we enjoyed staying in the 2nd (Right Bank), a short walk to the Louvre and Orsay, Opera, and the Marais. As you can see on this thread, that's a preference. I think it pays to be as close to the center as possible. I hope this helps.

3821851782_07cf4f3474.jpg

I should have been more clear. I am looking for a restaurant. We have already rented an apartment that is close to two metro stops.

Archived