Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

A thought just occurred to me. Isn't listing your loyalty program status and listing ALL of your previous cruises as an extension to your postings here a bit of snobbery also?:confused:

The reasons I list mine and why I like that people list theirs is so that we can see where we've all been, what we have in common, and ask questions that may apply to one another. I also have links to my reviews in my signature so that if people read one that they like and are curious to read more, they can find them easily.

I don't think listing the sailings you've been on is snobbery, but I personally find the rotating diamonds in some people's signatures (visit the Royal Caribbean board) and other oversized indications of one's cruiseline statuses gaudy. But to each their own.

For me, at least, what I sometimes view as a fault in another is just a reflection of my own attitude. When I decide to like everybody, they suddenly become so much more likable. ;)

Thank you for posting this thought, it is worth remembering. It is also worth sharing so put it on my facebook page.

Julie

Agreed. The lanyard is simply a way to avoid pockets. I couldn't care less what color my card is.

And the thing is, I wouldn't even know what the different coloured cards mean, so any attempt to impress me would be an epic fail.

I like seeing where everyone has cruised as it gives me ideas about my next trip. And if links are provided I can read their reviews. I do tend to avoid the big sparkly diamond ones though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably gonna be called a snob for saying this but.. my ultimate snob experience wasn't on a ship but a review right here in CC... I won't say the guys name or the name of the ship he was reviewing but he was appalled at the fact he was served red wine in a white wine glass & couldn't believe they used the same salt & pepper shakers in all dining areas.

LOL - I just finished reading that one.

Every time I see a lady who is carrying a handbag around the ship I wonder what in the world she feels she has to have on her person, other than her cruise card, maybe a coffee card and sometimes a book or kindle.

Nothing wrong with the exercise one can get walking back and forth to the cabin.

I guess you never met my mother!:) She took her handbag with her everywhere, even into the bathroom if we were visiting friends. (Also, some people may not be physically fit enough to walk back and forth to the cabin.) I want to see Pam's custom-made bag. Sounds to me like great idea! In any case, I don't see lanyard wearing as snobbish/not snobbish. Whatever works.

A thought just occurred to me. Isn't listing your loyalty program status and listing ALL of your previous cruises as an extension to your postings here a bit of snobbery also?:confused:

I removed mine when the same thought occurred to me several years ago (not that I can think of any CC members who've posted theirs who strike me as snobs). In defense of the practice, it does provide a means of judging members' comments based on their experience levels. Just sayin'.

Last year on Ruby Princess we got talking to a couple (him mainly) and this bloke clearly had a kangaroo loose in the top paddock. He said he worked in 'plastics' and through his contacts and and research he had stumbled across this grand conspiracy that involved the U.S. Social Security numbering system and credit card numbers to take over the USA, and later the world. Eventually we will all be micro-chipped so that our movements can be monitored. He put forth a very complicated theory as to how this was happening and what the results would be. My only comment was that I thought no government was, is or ever will be efficent or capable of achieving this purpose fell on deaf ears. Needless to say we bade our farewells that evening and avoided him like the plague for the rest of the cruise. But beware, you have been warned of what is coming!

Last year on Ruby Princess we got talking to a couple (him mainly) and this bloke clearly had a kangaroo loose in the top paddock. He said he worked in 'plastics' and through his contacts and and research he had stumbled across this grand conspiracy that involved the U.S. Social Security numbering system and credit card numbers to take over the USA, and later the world. Eventually we will all be micro-chipped so that our movements can be monitored. He put forth a very complicated theory as to how this was happening and what the results would be. My only comment was that I thought no government was, is or ever will be efficent or capable of achieving this purpose fell on deaf ears. Needless to say we bade our farewells that evening and avoided him like the plague for the rest of the cruise. But beware, you have been warned of what is coming!

Just sprayed the puter with my coffee!!! Bonzer!!! :eek: :D

No offense, but if you have traveled with Princess or any other cruise line, you can look at your captain circle (or whatever the other lines call theirs) and look at your travel history. They list where you have been, the dates and how many sea days you have.

When we're seated with strangers in the dining rooms, one of the common get-acquainted topics is what people do, or did before retiring. We have met many people with fascinating careers of a wide variety. I guess I find it interesting, and don't mind sharing, but if someone is not comfortable with that, it's ok.

We do get some strange reactions when we say we are from Nebraska. First of all, many people have no idea where it is (hey, I have trouble with all those teeny eastern states too), some think we are from Alaska, "Boy, don't you really get cold up there" is a very, very common question when we mention Nebraska, and (unbelievable but true) some apparently believe we are living on the wild frontier. We have been asked at least 3 times (in all seriousness) if we aren't afraid of the "Indians". Sorry Native Americans, it's not my quote!

Sometimes I see some snobbish attitude, if they actually know anything about Nebraska, assuming that we are farmers--we're not, though we have a farm background and have farmers as relatives.

What's funny is that in our area most farmers are at least college educated and multi-millionaires, and that is talking income not land value. Our state has one of the highest rate of millionaires in the country. Land is selling as high as $20,000 an acre, and farmers around here sometimes own thousands of acres.

Semantics is everything. My husband is a building contractor and land developer who has built a least 1000 houses and other projects. It makes quite a difference if he says 'carpenter', 'builder', 'contractor' or 'developer' in how people react.

We can pick fairdinkum people rather quickly.... when they ask what my DH does for a living (Interstate Truck Driver).... if they turn their backs on you (which has happened) no loss..... if they continue with the conversation and we become friends over the course of the cruise.... great! You know they are worth getting to know and not snobs. :D

I wouldn't turn my back. Most of my family were involved in road haulage including my brother who went to Australia and did Interstate for a few years.

People have to like me for the person I am not what I am.

The reasons I list mine and why I like that people list theirs is so that we can see where we've all been, what we have in common, and ask questions that may apply to one another.

I don't think listing the sailings you've been on is snobbery, .... But to each their own.

Agree. (Obviously!) :D

You mean a "Road Train"' date=' with 3 or 4 or 5 trailers behind the prime mover? Yes, he has driven those over the years but those road trains are only allowed "out west" or away from the main cities. He does drive B Doubles (two trailers) in the cities though. Now he is nearing retirement he is winding down and only drives just the Prime Mover with 43' trailer and travels from Brisbane to Sydney twice a week.[/quote']

Most of the ones we saw in some of the port areas had "only" 2 or 3 trailers. I've seen some of the longer ones on a couple of TV shows. We had an incredible time in your wonderful country.

No offense, but if you have traveled with Princess or any other cruise line, you can look at your captain circle (or whatever the other lines call theirs) and look at your travel history. They list where you have been, the dates and how many sea days you have.
If you've cruised a number of different lines, it gets fuzzy over the years even after looking up your cruise history on each line. Particularly as you get older. :)

I was invited to the most traveled lunch on my last cruise. A woman at my table looked at me and said, "I've got 31 Princess cruises. I should be at a better table with the people who have cruised more." I told her I didn't keep track and hadn't a clue how many Princess cruises I've taken. But I'd check my cruise card. "Oh, gee. I've got 31 too." She shut up.

I was invited to the most traveled lunch on my last cruise. A woman at my table looked at me and said, "I've got 31 Princess cruises. I should be at a better table with the people who have cruised more." I told her I didn't keep track and hadn't a clue how many Princess cruises I've taken. But I'd check my cruise card. "Oh, gee. I've got 31 too." She shut up.

Pam, You never fail to amaze me with your quick wit.... definitely a great comeback.

Pam, You never fail to amaze me with your quick wit.... definitely a great comeback.
Thanks. We had the Chief Engineer as the officer at our table and she ignored him the entire lunch. I don't think she even said, "Hello." My friend, Midge, and I asked all kinds of technical questions and he turned out to be charming and enjoyed talking to us. If he wasn't, he was faking it pretty well. :)

told her I didn't keep track and hadn't a clue how many Princess cruises I've taken. But I'd check my cruise card. "Oh, gee. I've got 31 too." She shut up.

Many people do not realize that the number of past cruises is on the Princess cruise card.

Many people do not realize that the number of past cruises is on the Princess cruise card.
I never bothered to look because it isn't important to me. What I discovered when I got home is that the number on the card is the number of cruise credits, not # of cruises so the joke was really on me. I just double- checked and even though my "My Princess" says, "You have cruised 31 times," when I click on the link, it's total cruise credits. :)

Pam,

Thanks for the info. I had no idea the number of cruise credits was on my key card. I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday.

Don't know if this falls in the "snob" category or not. On a recent RCL cruise a couple was bragging to us about how they always buy a package deal from their travel agent. Price was not #1, as the time of the year was the most important. They then told me the price of their cabin. I was stunned...their inside was more money than the Owners Suite we had. It took everything I had to keep my big mouth shut. I found this deal early one Sunday morning right before final payment. I never said a word to them about being in a suite etc...I just suggested they watch the internet for deals...her reply we always go with a package deal.

Wow. I didn't know that number in the corner was "number of cruises - 1". Interesting. Didn't connect until you mentioned it, but I looked at my cards. (I keep them all in a business card binder - compact personal souvenir.)

I am super Elite!" He was a hot mess, toupee akimbo, and a total boor!

That is great. I haven't seen the word akimbo used in a very long time. We have never had any bad problems. But several years ago on a HAL ship two of our dining companions, made it very clear, in unspoken words thay did not like the fact we were a gay couple. But we stayed at that table just to annoy them

Archived