Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

Wow. You know, you may have just caught them off guard, and they may know nothing about Canada. In other words, you were a "foreigner", and they can't relate to anything "foreign"

I'll bet you could have extended the conversation and just answered Alberta...then she would have asked where is that, and you could have mentioned a few suburb towns and she would have made a mental note to google it later LOL

Unfortunately we found, after moving to Texas, that Texans consider anywhere other than Texas to be foreign. :) ... including the rest of the USA.

But that's another kind of snobbery.

Unfortunately we found, after moving to Texas, that Texans consider anywhere other than Texas to be foreign. :) ... including the rest of the USA.

But that's another kind of snobbery.

There's an old joke -- there are three things a texan hates...

(the first two can't be posted here)

and, a yankee with a uhaul.

I know that my Dr. M dislikes using a title.

Drs. A and T, bon voyage from Dr. M and Pia. He's not your kind of doc, but he too prefers to go untitled unless in a professional setting.

Thanks, Pia. I think I am sailing this one alone. As much as I begged Dr. A into joining in the fun, it is not to be. Have a great time on your 7 week SA!

Would have loved it if we could have crossed paths, but June will be here soon enough!

Safe and happy travels!

TL

I can't stand place snobs. There is something good about every place I've been and the people therein.

But my favorite place snob story happened to a personal friend a few years ago. She was working as a reservation clerk at a hotel in our city (Greenville, South Carolina). A secretary from New York city called to make a reservation for her boss, who was scheduled to attend a convention here, and had never been here before.

After all was set up, she snippily asked my friend "Tell me, do you have inside restrooms at the hotel?" With a quicker wit than I brandish, she put on her best sweet Southern drawl and replied; "Why, yes, ma'am we do. But if that is a problem, I'm quite sure we can find him someone to show him how to use it."

Isn't that the kind of comment that deserves a "Well, bless your heart." Only a Southerner can make that anything from a compliment to an insult or anything in between. :) ( My maternal grandparents were from Tennessee.)

OK, that comment opens up something new. How 'bout listing the types of snobs?

Please note that just because one has appreciates or has the items listed below, snobbery arises only when flaunted in such a way as to diminish others ...

1) Place snobs (I've been to more or better places than you)

2) Captain's Circle status snobs

3) Old money snobs

4) New money snobs

5) Acting like they've got money snobs

6) Food snobs

7) Wine snobs

8) Beer snobs

9) Water snobs (Evian, Perrier, has to be bottled, etc)

10) Cruise line snobs (Princess, Cunard, Costa, RCI, NCL, etc)

11) Cabin type and location snobs

12) Jewelry snobs

13) Style snobs

14) Name dropping snobs

15) Geographical snobs (we "name your country/city" are the best)

16) Number of cruise days snobs

17) ????

Coffee Snobs

OK, that comment opens up something new. How 'bout listing the types of snobs?

Please note that just because one has appreciates or has the items listed below, snobbery arises only when flaunted in such a way as to diminish others ...

1) Place snobs (I've been to more or better places than you)

2) Captain's Circle status snobs

3) Old money snobs

4) New money snobs

5) Acting like they've got money snobs

6) Food snobs

7) Wine snobs

8) Beer snobs

9) Water snobs (Evian, Perrier, has to be bottled, etc)

10) Cruise line snobs (Princess, Cunard, Costa, RCI, NCL, etc)

11) Cabin type and location snobs

12) Jewelry snobs

13) Style snobs

14) Name dropping snobs

15) Geographical snobs (we "name your country/city" are the best)

16) Number of cruise days snobs

17) ????

What'a a jewelry snob? I am very blessed to own some wonderful jewelry, some of which I inherited and I wear it almost all the time--especially on cruise ships where I feel it is pretty safe to wear the bling. I totally love my jewelry and as I see it there are only two choices: I can wear it every day, and enjoy it until I die, and share it with my friends, or lock it up in a safe where no one can enjoy it. I do leave it in the safe when we go ashore, simply for safety reasons, but when I feel like I am in a safe environment I want to enjoy it every minute that I possibly can.

Sometimes people will comment on it and I am delighted to let them look at it and even try it on, sharing with them the joy that it brings me. If that makes me a jewelry snob, so be it. I am still going to continue to enjoy my jewelry. :)

Coffee Snobs

You took the words right out of my mouth..

I love the snobs who turn up their noses at my large 99 cent cup of cappucchino from the corner gas station while they sip their $4 little cup from Star Bucks.... Don't get me wrong... I love Star Bucks as much as the next guy (gal) but the $3 I save gets me that much closer to my next cruise...:p

What'a a jewelry snob? I am very blessed to own some wonderful jewelry, some of which I inherited and I wear it almost all the time--especially on cruise ships where I feel it is pretty safe to wear the bling. I totally love my jewelry and as I see it there are only two choices: I can wear it every day, and enjoy it until I die, and share it with my friends, or lock it up in a safe where no one can enjoy it. I do leave it in the safe when we go ashore, simply for safety reasons, but when I feel like I am in a safe environment I want to enjoy it every minute that I possibly can.

Sometimes people will comment on it and I am delighted to let them look at it and even try it on, sharing with them the joy that it brings me. If that makes me a jewelry snob, so be it. I am still going to continue to enjoy my jewelry. :)

Having and enjoying nice things doesn't make you a snob. Thinking you're better than others because you have nicer stuff than they do makes you a snob.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

I just thought of another, Significant Other Snobs, or Family Snobs. This is part of a conversation I had with a co-worker (same job, different office in another part of the country) when I ran into her on a 4 night Bahamas cruise a few years ago.

Her: Who are you here with? I'm sailing with my husband and 12 family members.

Me: I'm sailing by myself.

Her: Oh, I'm sorry.

Me: :confused:

My past few cruises have been with friends or with my Mom, but before that I sailed on several cruises as a solo traveler. I enjoyed those cruises tremendously and sometimes I actually miss the freedom of being able to do what I want, when I want, if I have someone else with me. I have one solo cruise coming up and am really looking forward to it.

Name droppers are some of my favorites. :)

I used to work with a woman who was a "political gadfly" in our city. Her and her husband were active in the major party in town and held a few patronage posts through the years , so they "know" a few people.

"We were in the restaurant last night and Joe and Alice came in and sat next to us , and of course they bought us a bottle of wine "

Or

"Well every fourth of July we go out to Ed and Berthas beach house to see the fireworks from their deck and they have a sit down clam bake right on the beach and blah blah blah"

and you say "WHO?????

Oh the mayor and his wife, and the Judge and his wife , and the former Governor who is now a big shot lawyer ...

Who cares ? :)

You took the words right out of my mouth..

I love the snobs who turn up their noses at my large 99 cent cup of cappucchino from the corner gas station while they sip their $4 little cup from Star Bucks.... Don't get me wrong... I love Star Bucks as much as the next guy (gal) but the $3 I save gets me that much closer to my next cruise...:p

My sister is a Starbucks snob, thinks it's better than anything else. I don't like it. It has a "burnt" taste. I get my coffee from Dunkin Donuts or 7-11 or (horrors) McDonald's. I like it and don't care what anyone else thinks.

I have been reading everyone’s posts, and have had a few chuckles.

Part of our cruise enjoyment is people watching. Another is having a leisurely dinner, enjoying the dining room, and interacting with the staff. Unfortunately both have shown us the worst in some people. There are three types of snobs that bother us – those that think they are special; those that are just plain rude, especially to the staff; and those that complain about everything. When we are on the cruise, it is to enjoy it. Those other three types must be very insecure and unhappy with their lives.

First the stories – one about a passenger and the other about a staff member. Since we eat later, and like to interact with the Dining Room staff over a period of two hours each evening, we get to know a lot of them. Last spring we were lucky enough to be served by a Headwaiter we knew from before, and a waiter who was the wife of another waiter we had on another ship. On about day three, a lady at the table beside ours leaned over and asked what senior position we held with Princess. We kind of looked at her with a puzzled expression, so she continued to tell us that it since the wait staff were going out of their way looking after us, that we must be someone important with the company. Her next comment was that she knew, because she was also getting special treatment because her nephew was quite high up in Princess. After we assured her that getting treated well was only tied to treating the wait staff well, we ignored her. Later when the her group left, one gentleman lingered for a second and then apologized for her intrusion and remarks, and asked us not paint him and his wife with the same brush as his dining companions.

The second was a ship sommelier when they were first on board the ships. He stopped by our table to compliment us on the wine we had chosen. We thought it was a nice gesture until he started to tell us how very special he was, how much training he had, how unless you ate at certain New York restaurants where HE had worked as a sommelier, you really didn’t know much about food or wine. This continued on for five very long minutes before we could get rid of him. Two days later the Chef’s Table was hosted beside where we were having dinner. Along comes Mr Sommelier. In two minutes he ruined the Chef’s Table for those poor people. Once again he told everyone how very important he was and then followed it up with a few wine questions for the participants. Then he proceeded to tell the wait staff who were standing by our table, who should get what wine – pointing out a couple of the people and telling the waiter not to give them any of the higher end wines since they would never be able to appreciate the better wine.

My thoughts on a couple of things brought up on this thread. I don’t care if someone wears their card on a lanyard, wears their jewellery, has their past cruises on their signature, or uses their status to use the Elite/Suite line at Passenger Services (their perks are tied to their loyalty). It is when they start bragging or being rude that makes those things seem to be the problem.

Could someone suggest what a safe topic of conversation would be at the dinner table if you choose to sit with others?

So far we know to never bring up politics or religion.

This is what I have learned from this thread so far:

Never discuss where you live as it may offend someone.

Don't discuss the cruises you have been on as it may seem like bragging.

Don't discuss your job or education even when asked.(you may make someone feel uncomfortable if they thought your education and income was above theirs.)

Don't talk about anyone you know in government, the arts, or the cruiseline. (name dropping)

Don't discuss the great sale price you got on your cruise.

Don't discuss the jewelry you brought aboard or purchased at a great savings even if someone compliments it.

Don't discuss your children or grandchildren even if asked whether you have any. It will be considered bragging even though you are expressing the joy of being a parent or grandparent.

Don't admit to enjoying your cruise if the rest of the table is griping.

Don't discuss your cabin level.

Don't ever ask for a dish to be returned if it is not to your liking.(you will be considered rude to the waiter.)

Don't order a cappucino at the table during dessert. You will be considered a coffee snob.

Lets face it, there aren't enough tables for two. We are sociable people and don't mind sharing a larger table. We get seated quickly and usually meet nice people and have had some great conversations. But after reading this thread, I feel all I could say safely is "Hi".

We would appreciate some good conversational openings from CC posters, as we would hate to offend on our next cruise.

My sister is a Starbucks snob, thinks it's better than anything else. I don't like it. It has a "burnt" taste. I get my coffee from Dunkin Donuts or 7-11 or (horrors) McDonald's. I like it and don't care what anyone else thinks.

I love my $1 coffee from McDonald's. I get in on the mornings I *don't* have to get up at 5:15 am to go to work.

Could someone suggest what a safe topic of conversation would be at the dinner table if you choose to sit with others?

So far we know to never bring up politics or religion.

This is what I have learned from this thread so far:

Never discuss where you live as it may offend someone.

Don't discuss the cruises you have been on as it may seem like bragging.

Don't discuss your job or education even when asked.(you may make someone feel uncomfortable if they thought your education and income was above theirs.)

Don't talk about anyone you know in government, the arts, or the cruiseline. (name dropping)

Don't discuss the great sale price you got on your cruise.

Don't discuss the jewelry you brought aboard or purchased at a great savings even if someone compliments it.

Don't discuss your children or grandchildren even if asked whether you have any. It will be considered bragging even though you are expressing the joy of being a parent or grandparent.

Don't admit to enjoying your cruise if the rest of the table is griping.

Don't discuss your cabin level.

Don't ever ask for a dish to be returned if it is not to your liking.(you will be considered rude to the waiter.)

Don't order a cappucino at the table during dessert. You will be considered a coffee snob.

Lets face it, there aren't enough tables for two. We are sociable people and don't mind sharing a larger table. We get seated quickly and usually meet nice people and have had some great conversations. But after reading this thread, I feel all I could say safely is "Hi".

We would appreciate some good conversational openings from CC posters, as we would hate to offend on our next cruise.

I was always told that the more someone brags, the less they truly have to brag about.:cool: I personally ignore people who annoy me. There have been evevings when my responses have been "Oh?" and "Is that right?" People generally catch on.

I love my $1 coffee from McDonald's. I get in on the mornings I *don't* have to get up at 5:15 am to go to work.

And you don't have to speak pseudo-Italian to order it.

What makes my sister a "snob" -- the attitude that she's worth the best and the rest of us can "settle" for Mickey D's. Love my sister dearly, but . . .

I agree with Pia on the lanyard issue--putting your cruise card on a lanyard is an easy way to keep track off it--nothing more. I usually carry a tiny purse that holds my phone, my lipstick, my social cards (in the event that i meet someone really cool with whom i would like to stay in contact) and my cruise card, but when I go to the gym, Zumba or a dance class and don't want to be encumbered with even a little purse, I use a lanyard, which shows only the back side about half the time. Just try controlling the side of the card that faces out d and see what happens. ;)

I never considered that someone would think it snobbish to wear my card on a lanyard! I bead the lanyards and give them away many times if someone compliments one... it really is just for convenience - and like PunkiC said, many times the back is facing out because there is no way to control it! :) I just don't like to carry anything with me and it also assures that I don't leave the cabin without my card!

Archived