Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

The worst I've experienced was a very obnoxious woman who said that the table she was sitting at in the Anytime Dining Room was "her" table! When the staff would attempt to seat people at the table, she would nod "yes" or "no" as to whether she would allow them to sit with her! (The staff complied with her wishes). She gave my friend and I a break and let us sit there, but all through dinner we had to listen to story after story about her so-called wealth and prestige. Oh, how boring!! She special ordered all her food and "graciously" shared some of it with the rest of us peasants. Secretly I wanted to call her 'Your Highness'. :rolleyes: Actually, it was pretty pitiful; she was older, all alone and obviously very insecure.

I've known for a long time that two topics NEVER to discuss with strangers (i.e, dinner mates) are religion and politics. I've since been aware that a third should be 'What do you do for a living?' Leads to all kinds of hurt sometimes. :)

Has anyone mentioned wine tasting snobs or is there a separate thread?

I know little about wine, but usually go to the wine tasting.

Seems there is always someone demonstrating their twirling talent.

Some of the best noses attend who can smell everything from oak to axle grease in their sample.

The list goes on.

Has anyone mentioned wine tasting snobs or is there a separate thread?

I know little about wine, but usually go to the wine tasting.

Seems there is always someone demonstrating their twirling talent.

Some of the best noses attend who can smell everything from oak to axle grease in their sample.

The list goes on.

Oh yes! You must swirl and twirl;

How else would you “volatilize the esters” :p

Don't let THEM catch you swirling the whites.

I've known for a long time that two topics NEVER to discuss with strangers (i.e, dinner mates) are religion and politics. I've since been aware that a third should be 'What do you do for a living?' Leads to all kinds of hurt sometimes. :)

And god forbid you are retired and look " too young to be retired"( their words not ours) ..they become like hungry hounds with a scrap of meat...peppering you with questions about how, what, couldnt possibly be so, etc.

I am from Kansas, and have learned that Texans don't like it when we call their state Baja Oklahoma :D

Laughing, laughing laughing! My husband's family were all from Oklahoma and they referred to Texas as Baja Oklahoma (which ticked my Texas family off to no end!)

The more I read this thread, the more I am thinking that there really are very few snobs out there. I have met maybe three in my almost 70 years on this planet.

Folks are just very different. Some folks are very outgoing and love to talk about almost anything, while other folks are very private and hesitant to discuss anything they deem personal. To those more quiet types, we extroverts probably seem way over the top, and to those who are really extroverted, the more quiet types might appear to be stand offish and snobbish, but those are our own perceptions and not at all related to the intentions of the persons being judged.

I am an off-the-chart extrovert and can't even imagine a situation where the question "What do you do for a living?" could be interpreted as anything other than an honest question expressing sincere interest in another human being, a question which, in my experience, has sparked many fascinating conversations. I truly love hearing about other people's lives and their experiences, their travels, what kind of great deals they got on their cruises, and even their political and religious views. Some of the very best and most informative conversations I have ever had were with other people openly sharing their religious and political beliefs--of course, this requires the listener to have a completely open mind.

I am as fascinated by the life stories of garbage collectors (who by the way make a ton of money) as I am by the stories of college professors. Everybody has a great story.

The world is an amazing place and it is the people in the world that fill it with color, depth and interest. I want to learn from all of them.

Happens a lot to my wife - she shows the card at disembarkation then forgets she has it on until a lot later. Not a snob thing. Its like jewelry - she forgets she has it on. ;)

I know the feeling I had to wear one for work and we had to use it to zap open doors etc, I used to come to my own front door and try and zap that open as well!

Happens a lot to my wife - she shows the card at disembarkation then forgets she has it on until a lot later. Not a snob thing. Its like jewelry - she forgets she has it on. ;)

:I did the same thing last cruise, left my lanyard on until the security line at FLL ... although my card was just gold ...

If I've learned anything from this thread : Its not what you say so much as how you say it and how many times you say it.

Everyone is different. That’s what makes traveling fun. You never know what a fellow cruiser may say.

Overheard a conversation about a ladies' dislike of a “white trash sort of person” that was at the buffet.

Her friend replied, What is a "white trash sort of person"? Is he better than the "philosophy ***** kind of person"?

Not really sure how to classify this one.....It seemed snobbish at the time.

My husband and I were on our Honeymoon doing a Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Galveston, Texas. There was a large contingent of Texans on board. One day we ate lunch in the MDR and were seated at a large table of ladies. They were all chatting away and the lady sitting next to me starts to ask everyone where they are from and, one by one, they state what part of Texas they were from.

When she got to us she said "So, what part of Texas are y'all from?" My husband says "We are actually from Alberta, Canada". Well a look of shock and horror came over her face - I swear I thought her eye balls were going to pop out and her chin would reach her chest bone! She said :eek::eek:"REALLY?":eek::eek:. We confirmed that yes, indeed, we were from Canada. Well, her facial expression turned to utter disgust and her nose turned up. She then turned her body in her seat so that her back was to me and started chatting with her friend next to her about something else. She never spoke to us again during lunch.

We didn't give her any mind though...we were on our honeymoon and just enjoyed our meal and each other. We didn't know if she thought Texans were better than everyone else or if she thought Canadians were low class or she hated Canadians and we didn't care to ask.

We did have a big chuckle over it later though.:D And to this day I can still see her facial expression - something I will never forget.:p

Not in a cruise setting but many years ago at a business meeting in Houston a colleague of mine (Canadian) made a comment beginning with the expression-"You Yankees always ....". One of the refered to people, with a horrified expression, immediately stood and proclaimed-

"Sir, I am a Southern Gentleman!!"

To many Canadians all Americans are "Yankees", and we looked at each other totally confused as to what he was so upset about.

The more I read this thread, the more I am thinking that there really are very few snobs out there. I have met maybe three in my almost 70 years on this planet.

Folks are just very different. Some folks are very outgoing and love to talk about almost anything, while other folks are very private and hesitant to discuss anything they deem personal. To those more quiet types, we extroverts probably seem way over the top, and to those who are really extroverted, the more quiet types might appear to be stand offish and snobbish, but those are our own perceptions and not at all related to the intentions of the persons being judged.

I am an off-the-chart extrovert and can't even imagine a situation where the question "What do you do for a living?" could be interpreted as anything other than an honest question expressing sincere interest in another human being, a question which, in my experience, has sparked many fascinating conversations. I truly love hearing about other people's lives and their experiences, their travels, what kind of great deals they got on their cruises, and even their political and religious views. Some of the very best and most informative conversations I have ever had were with other people openly sharing their religious and political beliefs--of course, this requires the listener to have a completely open mind.

I am as fascinated by the life stories of garbage collectors (who by the way make a ton of money) as I am by the stories of college professors. Everybody has a great story.

The world is an amazing place and it is the people in the world that fill it with color, depth and interest. I want to learn from all of them.

Me too - but there is no way I could have said it this well. Thank You!

Not in a cruise setting but many years ago at a business meeting in Houston a colleague of mine (Canadian) made a comment beginning with the expression-"You Yankees always ....". One of the refered to people, with a horrified expression, immediately stood and proclaimed-

"Sir, I am a Southern Gentleman!!"

To many Canadians all Americans are "Yankees", and we looked at each other totally confused as to what he was so upset about.

So funny and So true!

Many years ago when I moved from Canada to Texas, I was shocked to discover that *I* was the Yankee in the eyes of many Texans!

I am an off-the-chart extrovert and can't even imagine a situation where the question "What do you do for a living?" could be interpreted as anything other than an honest question expressing sincere interest in another human being,

Well, it depends. When we moved into our "upscale community", our kids were 1 and 5. After being asked "What do you do for a living?" again and again, I finally realized that we were probably too young to live in this community.

[color="Red"Folks when on board pretend what they are not.

The employees can see through them though.

Its amazing watching some of those folks and quite comical at times

][/color]

We met some of these on a non-cruise vacation, pretending to be Presidents & vice-presidents of important Canadian companies.

The cabin staff informed us that they were all traveling salesmen.

Steve

How would they know? I've never had to tell anyone what I do for a living when booking a holiday

Well, it depends. When we moved into our "upscale community", our kids were 1 and 5. After being asked "What do you do for a living?" again and again, I finally realized that we were probably too young to live in this community.

This is your chance to be creative. Tell them you are a hit man, or a sanitation engineer. Practice so that you can say it (either one - the two will get completely different reactions) with a straight face.

I know the feeling I had to wear one for work and we had to use it to zap open doors etc, I used to come to my own front door and try and zap that open as well!

I did the same thing for so many years. When I retired the lanyard went into deep storage and wearing one on a cruise would remind me of my working days (:eek:).

That's really the only reason I won't wear one on the ship. I certainly don't mind it when others do as I know it is very convenient.

BTW - I don't like the "You look too young to be retired" comments either. I know either they need glasses or they are lying. :D

So funny and So true!

Many years ago when I moved from Canada to Texas, I was shocked to discover that *I* was the Yankee in the eyes of many Texans!

I had the opposite. I moved to Miami in Nov 97 and was asked by coworkers if we celebrated Christmas in Canada. In total seriousness I told them yes of course we do. Early Christmas morning my mother takes the shotgun and goes into the forest to shoot the Christmas moose and drag it back to the cabin. Dad and I dig the pit in the snow to roast it in. Then we put on Celine Dion's Christmas album and drink Molsons. ;-)

I miss the fun I used to have with people down there ;-)

There wasn't a day that people didn't tease me aboot my accent!

I had the opposite. I moved to Miami in Nov 97 and was asked by coworkers if we celebrated Christmas in Canada. In total seriousness I told them yes of course we do. Early Christmas morning my mother takes the shotgun and goes into the forest to shoot the Christmas moose and drag it back to the cabin. Dad and I dig the pit in the snow to roast it in. Then we put on Celine Dion's Christmas album and drink Molsons. ;-)

I miss the fun I used to have with people down there ;-)

There wasn't a day that people didn't tease me aboot my accent!

That's good stuff right there. Shoulda just called 'em hosers, eh?

Oh yes! You must swirl and twirl;

How else would you “volatilize the esters” :p

Don't let THEM catch you swirling the whites.

Yeah you're right. And after many years of drinking the gift of God that gladdens the hearts of men, we simply drink what we like when we like to. Lifes to short to sweat the small stuff.

Cheers, Kenn

So funny and So true!

Moved to Texas about 25 years ago after a nice Air Force career. I am from Chicago and the wife from Wisconsin so we are Yankee's too. But after 25 years we note Texans think anyone who lives North of Austin might be a Yankee. But as we tell people when they mention the heat, "At least we don't have to shovel sunshine".

Cheers, Kenn

I don't get the connection and suspect your neighbors were just trying to be friendly and get to know you.

We live in a pretty desirable neighborhood and have two families close by who retired from Microsoft and then decided to start having children. ;) We have doctors, lawyers, engineers, stock brokers (they are the ones with all of the money), civil servants, architects, and business owners in our neighborhood, but the most beloved neighbor of all is a lady who used to work as a clerk in a drug store and now takes in foreign exchange students to supplement her income and, of course, entertain her. ;) I don't think people judge you by what you do, I think they are just genuinely interested in making friends.

"At least we don't have to shovel sunshine".

Cheers, Kenn

No you don't. However, Texas has lots of horses and cattle, and thus there is something else that needs to be shoveled a lot - especially during election years.

Archived