Amex Cruise Privileges - anyone used for RCI?

I believe the "booking onboard" is combinable with this but the balcony discount is not. I don't know about shareholder credit. I am also wondering whether a "Savings Certificate" would be combinable.

On our upcoming Celebrity cruise, the onboard booking OBC was partially combinable. It was reduced from $100 to $50, since we will get the $300 Plat Amex OBC. Could be different for RC, although it's the same parent company so my guess would be the same.

I am in the process of doing this now and have been in touch with AmEx Platinum Travel. You can book on your own with cruiseline OR through a TA. If you book through a TA, they then have to get a tracking # from AmEx to "pull in" your benefits to your booking.

Seems now it is about $100 for a balcony, $300 for JS or above, dinner for two and a bottle of wine/champagne.

You just have to make sure that your TA will handle this for you. Most will, but "a very well known membership warehouse" said they no longer will pull in your Platinum travel privileges.

Hope this helps!

Debbie

9/2013 RCI Brilliance of the Seas

8/2011 RCI Oasis of the Seas

I made my reservation through RC and paid with AMEX platinum. This wont get you the benefits. I called AMEX, you must transfer the reservation to them or you get nothing. The transfer must be within 60 days of original booking or they wont take it. There is a form on the RCI website to do this. When I spoke with the AMEX rep he explained that it is within the cabin category; we have a Oceanview Balcony, so can only move up within the ocean view balcony category. I told him I liked my room and didnt want to change it and he said that they would credit me for the difference, $60 pp, thats it. No $300 obc. $120 for DH and me, also a bottle of wine and a dinner at one of the speciality restauraunts, I think the Italian place. My kids are in an inner cabin and he wouldnt tell me whether I would get any credit for that because it is a central park view window and there isn't really anything else in the category. They apparently will get a complimentary soda package and something about priority boarding. Frankly, without the $300 obc I think I am going to stay with RCI so I can be in charge of my own booking. Kind of a disappointment.

I just called to Amex (US) and was told that it is impossible to get the benefits if you had not booked through them.

This conflicts with information from some previous posters.

To those of you who were able to do this with a booking from a TA, can you provide any instrucitons which we can provide to our TAs on how to do this? As I understood, they should call Amex to get a code which they then provide to Royal Caribbean. Is that correct? Do you know which number they need to call?

Thanks.

I just called to Amex (US) and was told that it is impossible to get the benefits if you had not booked through them.

To those of you who were able to do this with a booking from a TA, can you provide any instrucitons which we can provide to our TAs on how to do this? As I understood, they should call Amex to get a code which they then provide to Royal Caribbean. Is that correct? Do you know which number they need to call?

Thanks.

Maybe things have changed and the Amex rep you spoke to was misinformed? We booked our cruise through a TA, not through Amex travel. Some months later the TA told us about the Amex benefits and said she had taken care of it. I believe the TA needs to call Amex to get the code, but I'm sorry- I don't know what the number is since our TA took care of the whole process for us and took the initiative herself to figure out how to contact Amex. My understanding is that once given the code, the TA contacts RC to have it applied to the booking. If your TA cannot or will not do this, I would consider not using that TA again, but that's just my .02.

You can definitely get the benefits when going through your regular travel agent. I have done it many times. What seems to vary, is exactly what you get and whether it can be combined with other discounts. As with many things in this industry, it depends on who happens to answer the phone when your travel agent calls to have the benefits applied. It seems to really vary from day to day and person to person.

Ok, this may be the reason for the confusion but the benefits packages are different for Canadian and US Platinum card holders. Canucks are not able to get this benefit.

As a long time platinum card holder I'm pretty unhappy about that....

And yes US fans, that big new fee is the same for us......

Thanks.

Have your TA call rccl and get the information for AMEX.

Thanks.

Have your TA call and ask for the AMEX desk at RCCL 800-398-9819.

Just switched my reservation to AMEX; we had booked with Royal and were told you get a 60 day window to move it. We had two cabins, different deal with both. My DH and I have an D5 balcony and wanted to keep it, we got a credit for the difference for what we paid and the price of a D3, totaly $120 back on our CC. My kids are in an central park view and there was no higher cabin with that view so they are getting $50 each, total $100 OBC. We also get: four dinners at the speciality restaurant of our choice, a bottle of champagne, early boarding, kids get a lunch or dinner each at Johnny Rockets and free soda package.

Amex is taking care of everything, just needed our names and reservation number. Rooms stay the same. Woo Hoo! :)

You can definitely get the benefits when going through your regular travel agent. I have done it many times. What seems to vary, is exactly what you get and whether it can be combined with other discounts. As with many things in this industry, it depends on who happens to answer the phone when your travel agent calls to have the benefits applied. It seems to really vary from day to day and person to person.

The travel agent should always ask for the AMEX extension, not the initial agent that answers the phone.

Thanks.

I just returned from the Freedom, used the Amex Plat card and it was booked through my travel agent. Bottom line is you do not have to go through Amex. One note of caution, you must use your $300 OBC or lose it. We has a few $ left at the end of cruise and lost it.:)

I applied for RCI credit card on there web site. They gave me 10,000 point which was equal to $100.00 on board credit so I used that card when we book our cruise in Nov . The cruise gave me $100.00 on board credit for booking that cruise . So Bermuda here we come .

Here is the result of my research on this question. (It is a pity there is no wiki on CC, it would be the perfect way to put this info in a accessible way and avoid so many FAQs).

1. You do not need to book through Amex. Cruise Privlidges is available for any platinum card hold, independent of how they book. The TA needs to call to Amex, get a tracking number, and call RCI and provide it. On RCI this needs to be done prior to final payment date. On other cruise lines it may be difference.

You can see the exact terms, conditions and benefits according to cruise line here: http://www.americanexpress.com/asdbookinginstructions.

The TA can call 800-297-5627, not enter any card number and when they come to the menu press 7 and at the next menu press 2. They also may be able to do this online.

Then they need to call the RCI amex dept and give them the tracking number to apply to your booking. I believe the number is 877-202-1520.

2. You do not need to pay with an Amex Plat. But you need to be an Amex Plat cardholder and have paid with any Amex card in your name.

You can see the full terms and conditions at this site: https://www258.americanexpress.com/ctn/authreg/axtraweb/BookingInstructions.do?app=mapsasd. Click on SPP2012-2013 Terms and Conditions at the top of the list.

The Terms and Conditions state “Payment must be made with an American Express Card in U.S. Platinum Card member or Centurion member’s name. Card member must travel on itinerary booked.” So the payment does not need to be made with the platinum card, but any amex owned by a platinum cardmember.

You can also see the same text here on the consumer website: https://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/cpp. Click on the * at the end of “Card members can receive Cruise Privileges benefits on virtually all sailings of five nights or more, with many world-class cruise lines.* “.

3. For Oceanview RCI give a 2 category upgrade within a category. If that is not available they give fixed $100 OBC. If you do not want the upgrade (you dont want to change cabins) then you lose the OBC. Only if you have connecting cabins with small children in the connecting cabin do they let you take the OBC instead of the upgrade.

In addition you get the dinner and wine/champagne.

For people who book through an Amex TA, there is another promotion with benefits called the "Desination Family Promotion" (free lunch at johnny rockets, free soda for 2 kids) which somebody else mentioned. Here is the info: http://www.prweb.com/releases/RoyalCaribbean/cruisesale/prweb10291059.htm

Hope that helps.

Ron

Wow, I see too many typos in my post. Why is there no option to edit posts as is typically available in vbulletin forums?

(Edit: strange, now I see the option to edit this post but not my previous one...)

The option to edit posts has a limited time, something like 10 or 15 minutes.

Here is the result of my research on this question. (It is a pity there is no wiki on CC, it would be the perfect way to put this info in a accessible way and avoid so many FAQs).

1. You do not need to book through Amex. Cruise Privlidges is available for any platinum card hold, independent of how they book. The TA needs to call to Amex, get a tracking number, and call RCI and provide it. On RCI this needs to be done prior to final payment date. On other cruise lines it may be difference.

You can see the exact terms, conditions and benefits according to cruise line here: www.americanexpress.com/asdbookinginstructions.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Thanks! Your post and those links clear up some things that I've never understood about the program.

by the way, I found better text about the "Destination Family" promotion for RCI for those who book through an Amex affiliated agent: http://b-ville.com/files/business_documents/nid_293/12027266_Cruise_Planners_Destination_Family.pdf It appears to have ended already, but perhaps it has been extended (I thought I saw somebody saying recently that they were able to use it.) A call to an amex-affiliated agent should clarify it.

Book any Royal Caribbean International® cruise by December 31, 2012 for your family

through American Express Travel and receive these exclusive benefits:

PRIORITY CHECK-IN ON DAY OF BOARDING!

You and your family can skip the regular lines at the pier and take advantage of our VIP Check-in! This will allow you more time onboard to enjoy!

COMPLIMENTARY YOUNG CRUISER FOUNTAIN SODA PACKAGE!

This amenity entitles 2 young cruisers, 17 and under, to enjoy unlimited refills

of fountain soda in all our bars and lounges; the Windjammer, the dining room and on our private destinations! Plus, enjoy a complimentary Coca-Cola Souvenir cup!

COMPLIMENTARY JOHNNY ROCKETS® EXPERIENCE!

Enjoy a fantastic Johnny Rockets experience that includes one meal in Johnny Rockets for a family of four with full menu selection.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see the exact terms, conditions and benefits according to cruise line here: http://www.americanexpress.com/asdbookinginstructions.

The TA can call 800-297-5627, not enter any card number and when they come to the menu press 7 and at the next menu press 2. They also may be able to do this online.

Then they need to call the RCI amex dept and give them the tracking number to apply to your booking. I believe the number is 877-202-1520.

2. You do not need to pay with an Amex Plat. But you need to be an Amex Plat cardholder and have paid with any Amex card in your name.

You can see the full terms and conditions at this site: https://www258.americanexpress.com/ctn/authreg/axtraweb/BookingInstructions.do?app=mapsasd. Click on SPP2012-2013 Terms and Conditions at the top of the list.

The Terms and Conditions state “Payment must be made with an American Express Card in U.S. Platinum Card member or Centurion member’s name. Card member must travel on itinerary booked.” So the payment does not need to be made with the platinum card, but any amex owned by a platinum cardmember.

You can also see the same text here on the consumer website: https://travel.americanexpress.com/travel/cpp. Click on the * at the end of “Card members can receive Cruise Privileges benefits on virtually all sailings of five nights or more, with many world-class cruise lines.* “.

3. For Oceanview RCI give a 2 category upgrade within a category. If that is not available they give fixed $100 OBC. If you do not want the upgrade (you dont want to change cabins) then you lose the OBC. Only if you have connecting cabins with small children in the connecting cabin do they let you take the OBC instead of the upgrade.

In addition you get the dinner and wine/champagne.

For people who book through an Amex TA, there is another promotion with benefits called the "Desination Family Promotion" (free lunch at johnny rockets, free soda for 2 kids) which somebody else mentioned. Here is the info: http://www.prweb.com/releases/RoyalCaribbean/cruisesale/prweb10291059.htm

Hope that helps.

Ron

Interesting.. I booked 2 cruises (b2b) using Amex Platinum. I received the 2 category upgrade for both, but RCI is balking at providing the dinner and wine benefit. My TA's manager is saying that lately RCI has been pulling this stunt. My TA is still waiting for a call back from RCI (after a supervisor makes a decision- this has been since 1030 this morning) Has anyone else run into only "limited" benefits using Amex Platinum with RCI?

Host Dan

Interesting.. I booked 2 cruises (b2b) using Amex Platinum. I received the 2 category upgrade for both, but RCI is balking at providing the dinner and wine benefit. My TA's manager is saying that lately RCI has been pulling this stunt. My TA is still waiting for a call back from RCI (after a supervisor makes a decision- this has been since 1030 this morning) Has anyone else run into only "limited" benefits using Amex Platinum with RCI?

Host Dan

Actually it's not a stunt but the result of the fact that most cruise lines no longer allowing "double-dipping" with respect to promos. The AmX Platinum Cruise Privileges program is a 50/50 partnership between AmX and the participating lines, with both AmX and whichever participating cruise line you happen to be sailing each absorbing one half the dollar amount cost of the perks offered. Because RCI (in your case) is absorbing half the cost of the privileges, it considers it an RCI promo and will not allow it to be combined with any other RCI promo, except sometimes as in your case, they will allow the two category upgrade. In other words, if you are already getting an RCI sponsored promo like a C&A discount, OBC, upgrade or you booked at a special rate, you can't combine that with the AmX privileges. Also, it is the cruise line and not AmX that has the ultimate say whether or not the privileges are applicable for any given itinerary, ship, sailing, accommodation.

Archived