CB Princess - Lunch on first day - recent experiences?

TaylorMace

We are planning on having lunch when we board the CB in February. The 4 of us do not like conflict. I have read some post that sometimes they discourage you from using the dining room for lunch on day one. Has anyone had a recent experience on the Carribean Princess?

Any suggestions on what to politely say if they tell us it is for B2B cruisers only? Is that true?

We are planning on having lunch when we board the CB in February. The 4 of us do not like conflict. I have read some post that sometimes they discourage you from using the dining room for lunch on day one. Has anyone had a recent experience on the Carribean Princess?

Any suggestions on what to politely say if they tell us it is for B2B cruisers only? Is that true?

Are you specifically wanting to eat in the dining room or just looking for somewhere to eat? If wanting to specifically eat there, I can't be of help. However, if you are just looking for someplace to eat there is the buffet and the International Cafe.

Apparantly the Princess Patter, which will be in your cabin, announces which dining room is open for lunch. You may be more comfortable taking it with you so you can show it. Definitely lunch is open to all, but it closes at 1:00 or 1:30. Again hours will be given in the Patter. Sometimes you do not get stopped. If you are striding confidently you are less likely to be stopped.

I don't care for confrontation either, but I find it very irritating when they try and direct you to the buffet so we generally presevere.

Once you are seated, the staff could not be warmer or more welcoming! All is forgiven! It is a lovely relaxing way to begin your cruise.

I avoid the buffet at all costs on embarkation day (a zoo), so my first choice is always the dining room. On the Coral in October, we were told by staff that the dining room was not open. DH dragged me, kicking and screaming, to HC because he was starving and it was past his lunch time. Later I met some folks who said they had had lunch in the dining room first day. From now on, I'll just go check it myself.

During my December cruise on the CB, I asked one of the helpful crew members upon embarking, which dining room was open for lunch. He was not sure, but was able to get the answer for me quickly. I had the best lunch that day, and it gave me a great start to my first experience with Princess. :)

We have never had a problem with the MDR on the first day. However, the buffet could be crowded. We normally go down to the International Café in the Piazza for our first meal after boarding. The food is good and free. They have great sandwiches and pastries.

The new foldable ship map they give you at checkin says on the back "Shortly after we welcome you aboard, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship's dining rooms. Check your Princess Patter for dining locations and times."

Most likely the open dining room will be the one on deck 6 near the atrium.

We sailed in early December 2012. We boarded around 12 noon, dropped our carry-ons in the cabin, and went straight to the DR that was serving lunch (can't remember if it was the one on deck 5 or 6 - I think deck 5). In any case, we were graciously greeted by the staff and offered the last two seats at a table for 8. When we told the waiter that we were waiting for friends, but didn't even really know if they were on board yet, he seated us at a table for 6 and said he wouldn't seat anyone else with us and to take as long as we needed. As we had been up and traveling since 4 a.m., we appreciated the opportunity to sit and relax in quiet, elegant surroundings. Our friends arrived about 12:30 p.m. and we had an extremely pleasant lunch with excellent service. It seemed to me that only a handful of tables were used.

This was our first Princess cruise and the service at lunch set the tone for a wonderful cruise.

Have a great time.

We also have enjoyed the DR on the first day. We have done IC also and enjoyed that. The first day not as many people even know about it. We have only done the buffet on our first cruise. Learned better after that. In fact, we have only been to the buffet a few times in 10 cruises. Just to grab a snack in the after noon and dinner one time when we slept through dinner. I am not a buffet fan even when on land. Although the late night buffet is usually pretty nice. Not even sure they have those any more.

No problems having embarkation lunch in the MDR on the Caribbean last month. Staff was very welcoming and didn't try to dissuade anyone. We found the dining room was slightly busier than it usually is for that meal.

The lunch, like all other MDR breakfasts and lunches, is held in the Coral DR on deck 6. Enjoy.

I always just walk into the dining room confidently, knowing that I can and will eat lunch there. Sometimes they have tried to dissuade me, but I just say that I prefer to eat there. At that point, they know I'm not going to give up and go to the buffet, and they gladly seat me. Usually there are not more than about half a dozen tables used, and they aren't even full. It's a fantastic meal and well worth the effort. Such a lovely way to start a cruise!

599738_4273748879424_1475900100_n.jpg

That does look good. We have eaten in the main dining room for lunch whenever possible. Looking for lunch and breakfast menus for the Ruby. There is a seafood salad I don't want to miss. Also I think we can talk the kids into a real breakfast the day of eggs Benedict. This may not be the forum to ask though. Just talk of the MD has me thinking. Any thoughts on the Pub Lunch on embarkation day?

During my December cruise on the CB, I asked one of the helpful crew members upon embarking, which dining room was open for lunch. He was not sure, but was able to get the answer for me quickly. I had the best lunch that day, and it gave me a great start to my first experience with Princess. :)

Which dining room did you end up eating in?

That does look good. We have eaten in the main dining room for lunch whenever possible. Looking for lunch and breakfast menus for the Ruby. There is a seafood salad I don't want to miss. Also I think we can talk the kids into a real breakfast the day of eggs Benedict. This may not be the forum to ask though. Just talk of the MD has me thinking. Any thoughts on the Pub Lunch on embarkation day?

Sorry, but pub lunch is only on sea days! But it's fun!

Your right in questioning attitude, it does vary from who is the maître`d. In Dec. on the CB no problem at all, suggest the beef tenderloin. Just be their before 130, athough in Nov. on the Ruby we arrived late due to problems & we were admitted as the maître`d said their is no no on Orincess, he even refused to take a gratuity at that time.

Archived