1st Impression - Oceania - NOT SO GOOD (Resolved !)

goodvig

Excellent that FDR personally responded. Lemons can be turned into Limoncello.

Those mid-cruise comment cards are vetted, highlighted, sorted, distributed the night they are received. I assume a little triage to set priorities and then acted upon.

On one T/A we had no TV for the 1st 6 or so days. (so no in-cabin announcements or destination highlights or even music). We knew there were some difficulties so we were patient. I would check daily with Reception, pleasantly, to ensure we were on 'the list'. I waited another day after receiving the comment cards as I did not want to appear as a complainer. We submitted them one night and the next day after returning in the early afternoon each and every item on the comment card was resolved.

Those comment cards are powerful - use them with discretion. So many companies, if they even solicit comments from their customers, I feel are treated much like the 'close door' button on most elevators (again not on O.) It is there to make us feel like we are doing something when in fact it does nothing to change the elevator's operation. Ship board operations on O are always very responsive. Note that favourable remarks on the comments card are treated with the same regard I understand and appreciated.

On one T/A we had no TV for the 1st 6 or so days. (so no in-cabin announcements or destination highlights or even music). We knew there were some difficulties so we were patient. I would check daily with Reception, pleasantly, to ensure we were on 'the list'. I waited another day after receiving the comment cards as I did not want to appear as a complainer. We submitted them one night and the next day after returning in the early afternoon each and every item on the comment card was resolved.

You should not have to wait 6 days or until you comment on the cards to get something fixed

Not acceptable IMO

I will be happy to follow up with everyone on this thread regarding the outcome of FDR's efforts to look into this matter...While I can hope for a positive outcome I feel as though I've won simply in the fact that a high level executive AKA "The Boss" :) has taken the time to concern himself with what happened. Since I took up photography three years ago...I have a "bucket list" of 15 places I must photograph - Angkor Wat was number 13...I'll keep my fingers crossedl!

So on that note...2nd Impression - Oceania - VERY POSITIVE!!!

I will be happy to follow up with everyone on this thread regarding the outcome of FDR's efforts to look into this matter...While I can hope for a positive outcome I feel as though I've won simply in the fact that a high level executive AKA "The Boss" :) has taken the time to concern himself with what happened. Since I took up photography three years ago...I have a "bucket list" of 15 places I must photograph - Angkor Wat was number 13...I'll keep my fingers crossedl!

Maybe you start a new thread with that title! ;)

So what else is on your bucket list. Angor Wat is fantastic and you will be kept very busy taking pictures. Just watch out for the monkeys with your camera as they steal cameras and dropped them from very high heights. Your tour guide should warn you about that. One of the ladies on our tour did not listen, and yes the monkey stole her camera and broke it.

A few readers might remember that I too had an issue while on our cruise last August. I posted here about my problem and the General Manager of the ship contacted my that night directly and offered a solution immediately. It made the rest of our cruise perfect.

I didn't come on to these boards at that time to "complain" so much as to find out from others what I should be expecting. It turned out I should have been getting better service than I was. All credit to Oceania for the service we got at that time.

You should not have to wait 6 days or until you comment on the cards to get something fixed

Not acceptable IMO

It was Marina's MV and we knew going in there were issues. We too felt that it was long enough so were happy the Comment Card did the trick. So very many cabins had an annoying squeek (ours grew much louder than a squeak) from the verandah door frame fittings that the repair crew was swamped so we understood patience was needed. The squawk from the door was more important than the TV as I got very little sleep the first week roaming the (beautiful) ship at 3 or 4 am. They compensated us with alcohol :)

Problems on Marina's MV were not unexpected and O did all that rescheduling and longer shakeout cruise for Riviera so they did learn and pay attention from our experience.

It was Marina's MV and we knew going in there were issues. We too felt that it was long enough so were happy the Comment Card did the trick. So very many cabins had an annoying squeek (ours grew much louder than a squeak) from the verandah door frame fittings that the repair crew was swamped so we understood patience was needed. The squawk from the door was more important than the TV as I got very little sleep the first week roaming the (beautiful) ship at 3 or 4 am. They compensated us with alcohol :)

Problems on Marina's MV were not unexpected and O did all that rescheduling and longer shakeout cruise for Riviera so they did learn and pay attention from our experience.

You neglected to mention it was the MV in original post/complaint

You have to expect the unexpected on a MV but I believe all passengers were rewarded in the end;)

Lyn

Wow, I must echo the sentiments of others in this thread. That the CEO of the company would personally intervene on behalf of a customer suggests a level of customer service not commonly seen these days. Very refreshing. I salute and thank you, Mr. Del Rio.

I received a call today from the Mgr of Special Services for Nautica Cruise ship informing me that we are now able to go on the Angkor Wat experience that we were first offered!! (Yeah!!) She was unfortunately the one that originally had to call to tell me it was cancelled so you can bet this was a much more "pleasant" conversation than our first!!! (Thanks Miriam!!!)

However, an hour later, much to his word - FDR called me personally to inform me that arrangements had been made for us to visit Angkor Wat...very impressive indeed. I have no doubt that his hand in this is what made this possible for a select few of us that somehow were left out of the original plans...

My understanding of the problem is limited but as I can figure out - a majority of the Angkor Wat group had travel arrangements made for them no problem - but as human error can occur - a small group of us were excluded from the travel arrangements and were therefore left without flight arrangements...thus the option was to cancel the excursion for the six or eight of us...

Thanks to FDR and his staff - they made additional flight arrangements for us that will get us into Siem Reap (probably a little bit later than the others) but in time to join up with the larger group to continue our tour with everyone else...

It has been an eye-opening experience for me in that I really believed that customer service was dead - I can't get into the horrible experiences I've had over the past two years with various companies that have let me down (don't get me started on my cable company!!:))- so I am truly grateful that a frustrated posting on an internet forum has resulted in one of my "bucket lists" to be fulfilled. Thanks to Miriam and FDR and all the other Oceania staff that turned my lemons into lemonade (I've always wanted to say that!!!)

Cheers, I will return after our cruise and post my best Angkor Wat photo so others can know what a special place this is!!

so I am truly grateful that a frustrated posting on an internet forum has resulted in one of my "bucket lists" to be fulfilled. Thanks to Miriam and FDR and all the other Oceania staff that turned my lemons into lemonade (I've always wanted to say that!!!)

This is wonderful to hear. I don't think I've ever heard of a company's head being as responsive as FDR is. No wonder cruising on Oceania is such an incredible experience. This is one case when "trickle down" does work.

Have a great cruise and enjoy your "bucket list" trip immensely.

I received a call today from the Mgr of Special Services for Nautica Cruise ship informing me that we are now able to go on the Angkor Wat experience that we were first offered!! (Yeah!!) She was unfortunately the one that originally had to call to tell me it was cancelled so you can bet this was a much more "pleasant" conversation than our first!!! (Thanks Miriam!!!)

However, an hour later, much to his word - FDR called me personally to inform me that arrangements had been made for us to visit Angkor Wat...very impressive indeed. I have no doubt that his hand in this is what made this possible for a select few of us that somehow were left out of the original plans...

My understanding of the problem is limited but as I can figure out - a majority of the Angkor Wat group had travel arrangements made for them no problem - but as human error can occur - a small group of us were excluded from the travel arrangements and were therefore left without flight arrangements...thus the option was to cancel the excursion for the six or eight of us...

Thanks to FDR and his staff - they made additional flight arrangements for us that will get us into Siem Reap (probably a little bit later than the others) but in time to join up with the larger group to continue our tour with everyone else...

It has been an eye-opening experience for me in that I really believed that customer service was dead - I can't get into the horrible experiences I've had over the past two years with various companies that have let me down (don't get me started on my cable company!!:))- so I am truly grateful that a frustrated posting on an internet forum has resulted in one of my "bucket lists" to be fulfilled. Thanks to Miriam and FDR and all the other Oceania staff that turned my lemons into lemonade (I've always wanted to say that!!!)

Cheers, I will return after our cruise and post my best Angkor Wat photo so others can know what a special place this is!!

We were fortunate enough to take a post cruise excursion with Regent two years ago. You won't be disappointed!

What else is on your photography bucket list?

Karen

Great suggestion. I cringe every time I see the title.

FDR deserves an updated kudo.

I agree.

I am happy for OP and the others that are now able to make their dream trip to AW. Of course, the credit goes to FDR for his "hands-on"management style and personal interest in customer satisfaction (as well as Oceania staff) to make this happen - what a great story!

Hi Everyone,

As member Goodvig has advised us the issue was resolved, I've noted the thread title accordingly.

To the OP : I wish you a wonderful Cruise.

Hi Everyone,

As member Goodvig has advised us the issue was resolved, I've noted the thread title accordingly.

To the OP : I wish you a wonderful Cruise.

The mods on this forum are so responsive. Another case of good PR at its finest. :)

I love good endings!

This is indeed a great example of how an problem can be resolved on CC.

FDR and O rose to the challenge and resolved the poster's problem (beyond expectation! and one reason why we recommend O to friends) but also the OP thoughtfully reported back the positive outcome. Often we read a concern on various boards but are left hanging if it was resolved or not. And then to cap it off and have the thread's subject updated is terrific (great suggestion!)

This is indeed a great example of how an problem can be resolved on CC.

FDR and O rose to the challenge and resolved the poster's problem (beyond expectation! and one reason why we recommend O to friends) but also the OP thoughtfully reported back the positive outcome. Often we read a concern on various boards but are left hanging if it was resolved or not. And then to cap it off and have the thread's subject updated is terrific (great suggestion!)

We really need a "like" button!!

Archived