Oceania and Regent

forevertravel

I have been reading the posts from Hambagahte on their experience on the Riviera. We love cruising on Regent but have considered Oceania lately. I guess the thing that keep us with Regent is that we love the upgrade to Business Class for $999 each way to Europe. I won't fly economy on long flights and for what I have read Oceania does not offer those upgrades. We are cruising in Asia in March and I considered Oceania. I was told by rep the upgrade would be $6,000/pp while Regent was $3,000 a year ago. The upgrade to business, drinks included and tours won us over to Regent. Has anyone heard anything about Regent and Oceania combining somehow? I love my TA at Regent and would love to book Oceania cruises with her. I would also would like if Oceania were to offer reasonable upgrades as well as deviation. $300 for deviation on Oceania is a little steep. So, if I want to try Oceania we'll have to do it out of Florida. I was in business for many years and having two companies (owned by same conglomerate) compete for the same share of business does not make sense. Regent needs more ships and itineraries. I think combining the two would be awesome and hard to beat by others. They can leave tours out of Oceania's all inclusive and raise the rates a little. Am I dreaming or being unrealistic?

I have been reading the posts from Hambagahte on their experience on the Riviera. We love cruising on Regent but have considered Oceania lately. I guess the thing that keep us with Regent is that we love the upgrade to Business Class for $999 each way to Europe. I won't fly economy on long flights and for what I have read Oceania does not offer those upgrades. We are cruising in Asia in March and I considered Oceania. I was told by rep the upgrade would be $6,000/pp while Regent was $3,000 a year ago. The upgrade to business, drinks included and tours won us over to Regent. Has anyone heard anything about Regent and Oceania combining somehow? I love my TA at Regent and would love to book Oceania cruises with her. I would also would like if Oceania were to offer reasonable upgrades as well as deviation. $300 for deviation on Oceania is a little steep. So, if I want to try Oceania we'll have to do it out of Florida. Am I dreaming or being unrealistic?

You can check the promotions online

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/promotions.aspxsome offer Business Class upgrades

I do not find the deviation fee steep but that is me

when I compare airfare I sometimes find booking through Oceania & paying the fee is still better than DIY

Sometime the DIY works out better

I prefer not to have them all inclusive ..we do private tours for the most part & do not drink much ..so why would I want to pay more to have all inclusive

Some other Oceania cruisers feel the same but they can speak for themselves

I think there is room for both lines to operate independently but I am not in business so maybe not

FDR has stated many times in these forums they will not be joined

I am not sure why your TA cannot book Oceania... have you asked?

You can always book your own air

compare the bottom line of each cruise line then decide

enjoy what ever cruise you choose

Lyn

we like Oceania as is and hope it stays that way. Personally we hate to pay for other folks liquor and tours. There seems to be a market for both lines so no mergers please.:rolleyes:

I agree

My TA works for Regent and she can only book Regent cruises. They are competitors. We love the all inclusive system. I hate signing for drinks. Don't get me wrong is not that we drink a lot (we like wine with dinner and a cocktail or two) but we enjoy the Regent system. Since we cruise to places we may not have been before I like the tours Regent offer. I understand some people feel Regent cruises are more because of being all inclusive. However, that seems the way the cruise industry is going. I just wish there was more communication and flexibility between the two lines. We all have our likes and dislikes so for the time being Regent is our line of choice.

My TA works for Regent and she can only book Regent cruises.

I thought Oceania & Regent use the same Reservation office now ...I could be wrong

If you are happy with Regent keep it the way it is

Many of us are happy with Oceania the way it is ;)

vive la différence

I thought Oceania & Regent use the same Reservation office now ...I could be wrong

If you are happy with Regent keep it the way it is

Many of us are happy with Oceania the way it is ;)

vive la différence

You are incorrect Lyn, they are in the same building, same floor but completely seperate..

Jancruz1

You are incorrect Lyn, they are in the same building, same floor but completely seperate..

Jancruz1

Thanks Jan

I had thought someone mentioned they were in the same dept

Now I know ;)

Lyn

I have been reading the posts from Hambagahte on their experience on the Riviera. We love cruising on Regent but have considered Oceania lately. I guess the thing that keep us with Regent is that we love the upgrade to Business Class for $999 each way to Europe. I won't fly economy on long flights and for what I have read Oceania does not offer those upgrades. We are cruising in Asia in March and I considered Oceania. I was told by rep the upgrade would be $6,000/pp while Regent was $3,000 a year ago. The upgrade to business, drinks included and tours won us over to Regent. Has anyone heard anything about Regent and Oceania combining somehow? I love my TA at Regent and would love to book Oceania cruises with her. I would also would like if Oceania were to offer reasonable upgrades as well as deviation. $300 for deviation on Oceania is a little steep. So, if I want to try Oceania we'll have to do it out of Florida. I was in business for many years and having two companies (owned by same conglomerate) compete for the same share of business does not make sense. Regent needs more ships and itineraries. I think combining the two would be awesome and hard to beat by others. They can leave tours out of Oceania's all inclusive and raise the rates a little. Am I dreaming or being unrealistic?

Interesting. Many of the Regent "Old Guard" are horrified at the prospect of the two becoming one, for fear that it will drag Regent down while raising Oceania. I haven't seen anybody wish for a combination, before.

But, it ain't gonna happen. The two lines serve two different markets. It would be something like Carnival Corporation combining Holland American and Seabourn.

The wonderful thing about Oceania and Regent is they both offer superlative service and excellent to superlative food. However, Oceania is geared towards Ala Carte pricing while Regent is probably the most All Inclusive cruise line out there (the other luxury lines are struggling to catch up ;)).

While they are close, they do not comepete for the same share of business. If you like the reduced (or included, if you book penthouse or above) business class air, and dislike signing for drinks, then Oceania is not for you. If you are willing to fly coach to save a little money, and don't care whether you have to show your card (beverage package at ala carte pricing) or sign a chit for a drink, then Oceania is ideal.

But, each would lose something as well as gain something if they were the same. The fact that both are sailing virtually full, and both are profitable, shows the genius of the management.

Interesting. Many of the Regent "Old Guard" are horrified at the prospect of the two becoming one, for fear that it will drag Regent down while raising Oceania. I haven't seen anybody wish for a combination, before.

But, it ain't gonna happen. The two lines serve two different markets. It would be something like Carnival Corporation combining Holland American and Seabourn.

The wonderful thing about Oceania and Regent is they both offer superlative service and excellent to superlative food. However, Oceania is geared towards Ala Carte pricing while Regent is probably the most All Inclusive cruise line out there (the other luxury lines are struggling to catch up ;)).

While they are close, they do not comepete for the same share of business. If you like the reduced (or included, if you book penthouse or above) business class air, and dislike signing for drinks, then Oceania is not for you. If you are willing to fly coach to save a little money, and don't care whether you have to show your card (beverage package at ala carte pricing) or sign a chit for a drink, then Oceania is ideal.

But, each would lose something as well as gain something if they were the same. The fact that both are sailing virtually full, and both are profitable, shows the genius of the management.

But Carnival HAS combined Holland America and Seabourn...

Don, how are drink purchases handled when a package has been purchased. Do you still have to sign for each drink and then it is removed from your account or do you have a card to show? I know you are an expert on Oceania and will know the correct procedure. Thanks. Elsie

Mura's correct. Once you purchase the drink package, you are issued a new World Card with a code printed on it ("BIB" in the case of the unlimited package; I have no idea what it means). When you are ready to settle your tab for the evening (or dinner or whatever) the server takes your card and performs some computer mumbo-jumbo then gives it back to you. No chits to sign. It's all done very discreetly and almost unnoticeable.

Archived