Explorer - Junior Ste question

shelpt

We are looking at booking the Explorer for the 9 day cruise over Thanksgiving. Since we won't have to fly, we can afford a junior suite for 3 of us. Is it worth the extra money? Any recommendations on which floor would be best? Thanks for any input.

We are looking at booking the Explorer for the 9 day cruise over Thanksgiving. Since we won't have to fly, we can afford a junior suite for 3 of us. Is it worth the extra money? Any recommendations on which floor would be best? Thanks for any input.

How much extra is it over a balcony?

For 3 people, the extra room may well be significant. We like deck 9 because there are staterooms above and below you, so less probability of noise.

One nice thing w the JS is the walk-in closet. You can actually use it as a changing room for privacy.

Also noted, deck 9 is great location.

The extra space is nice - especially for three. But there are only a limited number of JS's that hold three by way of the sofa bed (32 total I think) - many are only designated for two. Except for the aft locations on deck 6 & 7, they are all located on decks 9 & 10. Any of these locations are good, but we prefer to be near the elevator banks in or near the hump - just personal preference based on convenience (and we like the balcony view from the hump). However none of the hump locations on 9 or 10 are configured for three so that wouldn't work for you. But there a a couple near this location if desired. The other advantage is that you have a tub in the bathroom and a walk in closet. Addtionally, you will recieve doubel C & A points in a JS, but no other suite benefits, which apply to GS and higher. We have had a JS on Explorer and liked it, but in our case it was just the two of us.

Wife and I were just in an Explorer hump JS cabin, #9324 for the 1/6 sailing 7-day to the Bahamas/Florida.

Never was on a hump before, but liked it mainly because it was close to the elevators. We thought noise would maybe be an issue because of that, but it was fine.

I don't think stateroom that had a sofa bed.

Loved the walk-in closet, had so much room.

We had a aft JS on our last Explorer cruise. It was great, and could easily have accommodated a third person. One thing you might consider is it only has one bathroom, so that might be an issue during the morning or any other time everyone is getting ready. That being said, I think they're worth it...we have two booked for future cruises.

We had a aft JS on our last Explorer cruise. It was great, and could easily have accommodated a third person. One thing you might consider is it only has one bathroom, so that might be an issue during the morning or any other time everyone is getting ready. That being said, I think they're worth it...we have two booked for future cruises.

The choices we have are on decks 6 and 7 and are aft facing. They accomodate up to 4. How is the view from those rooms? They appear to have a large deck in front of them.

The choices we have are on decks 6 and 7 and are aft facing. They accomodate up to 4. How is the view from those rooms? They appear to have a large deck in front of them.

Take Deck 7, NOT Deck 6. Yes, the aft deck extends well beyond the balcony area. The higher up, the better. Deck 6 is the level of this extended deck, so you will have issues seeing out to the wake. This is much less so on Deck 7. Waitlist yourselves for 1694 & 1394. :)

How much extra is it over a balcony?

For 3 people, the extra room may well be significant. We like deck 9 because there are staterooms above and below you, so less probability of noise.

Its approx $400 more for the grand suite. We really enjoy sitting on the balcony when we cruise, so Im worried that the views arent as nice on deck 6 or 7. No deck 9 rooms are showing as available.

Its approx $400 more for the grand suite. We really enjoy sitting on the balcony when we cruise, so Im worried that the views arent as nice on deck 6 or 7. No deck 9 rooms are showing as available.

First, I thought we were talking about a Junior Suite. Is it a JS or GS? Big difference on perks. Second, the views will be fine on decks 6 or 7, though I'd prefer 7 so there are staterooms below you.

As stated by clarea, there is a big difference between a grand suite and junior suite in terms of stateroom space and furnishings, deck size, and bathroom size in that it has a double sink and a full tub. And the perks with the concierge lounge, etc., are completely different. Please clarify if a GS is what you mean and not a Js, because if the difference between the balcony and a GS is $400 I would jump on it. They are also only on deck 10 on this ship.

But if it is the JS at $400 upchage, that also doesn't sound like a huge premium (depending on what the balcony is costing) and I would probaby go for it as well, but it is very much an individual decision.

Sorry - skipped over this post. So it is JS's and the aft facing (as indicated) are somewhat larger both in square footage and balcony size. The "deck" you refer to is just part of the ship structure in the back. That can limit your downward vision to the water somewhat and the higher the better for this based on the sloping design with this structure. And the best location as also mentioned is those on deck 10. But these are nice locations overall.

First, I thought we were talking about a Junior Suite. Is it a JS or GS? Big difference on perks. Second, the views will be fine on decks 6 or 7, though I'd prefer 7 so there are staterooms below you.

So sorry, yes it is the junior suite I am looking into. I must be subconsciously thinking of the grand suite!

So sorry, yes it is the junior suite I am looking into. I must be subconsciously thinking of the grand suite!

If the cost difference is $400 total to go from a D/E to a JS for 9 day cruise, I'd do it. That's a very good price for the upgrade.

We had 7692. The view is partially obstructed by support beams on the rear of the ship. I didn't find it a big deal, but, if you are looking for a totally unobstructed view you will be disappointed.

We had 7692. The view is partially obstructed by support beams on the rear of the ship. I didn't find it a big deal, but, if you are looking for a totally unobstructed view you will be disappointed.

That's actually the only 1 left available on deck 7. It's Thanksgiving week so everything is booking up. I am going to book that room today. If the beams bother me, Ill know next time. I think the extra space will be worth it especially since it's a longer cruise.

That's actually the only 1 left available on deck 7. It's Thanksgiving week so everything is booking up. I am going to book that room today. If the beams bother me, Ill know next time. I think the extra space will be worth it especially since it's a longer cruise.

Grab it now then check around final payment time to see if anything else becomes available. You can always switch if it does.

We actually loved the room. In fact we booked it again for a later cruise and would like to trade our hump for it on another. It's quiet, the large balcony is awesome, and it's perfect for a party. We had perhaps 12 or 15 people over for one, and had a blast. Enjoy.

Archived