Looking for Sunscreen recommendation

Baxter

I am looking for some brand recommendations. My mother was just diagnosed as having a cancerous cell on her face and she's nervous about her upcoming cruise. She isnt one to spend a lot on creams, so I'd like to pick up some good stuff for her.

Can you recommend a great sunscreen for the face?

I use Coppertone Oil free-Fragrance free - it's in a white bottle. I have allergies and very sensitive eyes, it doesn't bother them at all. She can also get a nice, new wide brimmed cruise hat! You don't have to spend a lot of time in the sun unless you want to. I love sitting in the shade on the Promenade deck sipping a margarita and looking for whales and dolphins! Don't let fear of the sun stop her from cruising!

I am looking for some brand recommendations. My mother was just diagnosed as having a cancerous cell on her face and she's nervous about her upcoming cruise. She isnt one to spend a lot on creams, so I'd like to pick up some good stuff for her.

Can you recommend a great sunscreen for the face?

My dermatologist recommends Neutrogena, preferably 100 or more. My family has a history of melanomas and I've had a few non-cancerous spots removed. I use Neutrogena Spectrum Face 100+ and some of their other varieties for legs, arms and back, etc. Tell her to invest in a good, broad-brimmed hat, too. Coolibar makes sun-protective clothing and hats and I have a couple of those but recently saw some treated hats in Ross and TJ Maxx for much cheaper though unknown brands.

I really like Devita for my body, as it doesn't have a bunch of toxic stuff in it & uses zinc for sun protection. I get it on http://www.vitacost.com as the price is really good.

For my face, I used both of these:

MD Solar Sciences Mineral Tinted Gel SPF 30

$24.00

Hydropeptide SPF 30 Anti-wrinkle Skin Enhancing UV Protection

$35.00

The wouldnt recommend brands...just said 50+.

If you ask the doctor what he/she uses or what they put on their children, they can answer that question directly.

I asked what he he uses when he goes out into the sun. Then followed it up with a "Is that what you'd tell me to use?"

If you flat out say, "What do you recommend?" you sometimes get the stock answer of "Can't recommend a product."

Or maybe it depends on relationship with the doc.

My dermatologist recommends Neutrogena, preferably 100 or more. My family has a history of melanomas and I've had a few non-cancerous spots removed. I use Neutrogena Spectrum Face 100+ and some of their other varieties for legs, arms and back, etc. Tell her to invest in a good, broad-brimmed hat, too. Coolibar makes sun-protective clothing and hats and I have a couple of those but recently saw some treated hats in Ross and TJ Maxx for much cheaper though unknown brands.

I have a family member who had melanoma and her dermatologist also recommended the high SPF (70+ or 100+? although I think I read that they were changing the rules on numbering for high SPFs so it may be harder to find the super high ones in the future) Neutrogena.

Research has shown it's not the BRAND name, but the SPF level, and how it's applied. Most folks don't use enough or apply often enough.

A hat with SPF protection is a must, and she should use a 30 SPF...higher SPF doesn't give you hardly any more protection, but costs TONS more!!!!

I would recommend Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration. My sister and I are both very picky about sunscreen product as we do not like the greasy feeling that many sunscreens seem to have. I am also not a fan of the sometimes heavy fragrance. The above mentioned product is not at all greasy and the fragrance is very mild. This is a broad spectrum sunscreen, and I love the moisturizing quality of this product.

In my opinion, it is certainly worth trying. Skin cancer runs in our family and we use sunscreen diligently.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maddycat

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70. It's lightweight and

non-greasy. My skin is very fair and sensitive. I have rosacea and burn easily. I used this on our last 2 Caribbean cruises and didn't burn at all.

My dermatologist recommends Neutrogena Sensitive Skin which contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. He said any sunblock that contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are good. I tried it but hated how it looks and feels: heavy, greasy and leaves your face looking very white. It also caused my eyes to tear. I couldn't wait to wash it off. Whatever you get for your mother, make sure that she tries it before her cruise.

Definitely wear a broad-brimmed hat. A baseball cap won't do. I hate wearing hats because I think they are hot, but folks forget they can get skin cancer on their scalp and on their ears.

Columbia makes hats with SPF ratings. They are not the loosely woven wicker hats that let sun through the little holes. They are firmly woven.

Have a great time.

Another vote for Neutrogena. When I asked my derm for a regimen she handed me a bottle. And I top with Physician's formula SPF powder to cut the sunscreen oil slick.

I have a family history and do not take chances.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

My suggestion is La Roche Posay Anthelios Ultra light SPF 60. I just got back from a cruise and wore this sunscreen on my face. It is not greasy and easy to wear. I am very fair and this worked great!

Seconding the brand- I order from a Brazilian (I think) site to get the not yet FDA-approved European Xl stuff. I love the tinted cream (which is considerably greasier than the Ultra Light- they have at least three or four different formulations that vary in how moisturizing they are) as a foundation, and the lip stuff is absolutely outstanding, as well.

Archived