Dining Question - Change seating?

HappilyRetiredToo

If you don't want others to join you and can't find a table for two, just ask the waiters to remove the place settings at your table that aren't being used. This should be a clear sign that you don't want others to join you.

Well, yes, you can do that but it sounds rather selfish to me. When we are seated at a larger table with empty spaces, we are happy to have others join us (even those we don't know). At the same time, I am reluctant to ask people if we can join them ... but sometimes there isn't a choice because there just are no smaller tables available.

For two people to take up a table that seats 5-6 people (making it clear that no one else is welcome) when empty seats are hard to find doesn't seem justified to me.

Mura

I agree.

With casual dining for breakfast or lunch in the Terrace I think it is fine to ask to use empty seats at a large table.

It is not as if you are going spend 2-3 hours at the table. For a quick bite it is not that big a deal.

I have been enjoying reading all the responses. Yes, I have had my share of those i hope I never have to share a table with again. One of the earliest cruises I was on, there was one lady who had the worst table manners one could ever hope to witness. The maitre d' had to put her at a table for two in a corner as no one wanted to be near her as you simply had to leave the table if you were sharing with her. She would grab things off others plates saying she wanted to taste them without even asking. As I said, yes I have had my share, but this is the one I always remember about. I can laugh now, but at the time, it was not funny. We got caught once on a river cruise asking how we felt about the current President and we just responded with we do not discuss politics. This gentleman tried to get everyone discussing politics and no one would bite,.

Often the places are not set at the outside Terrace tables because of the breezes. So when they see you making your way to a table, they're right there with a setting. This happened to us earlier this month. It looked to me that the people had left (rumpled up napkins, dirty plates and cups), but you never know. We stood wondering and in seconds someone was there to remove everything and give us place settings. No one showed up so I guess it was okay!

It is perfectly okay to ask to join people at a table when you can't find a table for yourselves. It happens all the time to us, especially on the "R" ships.

I also would not just sit down at a table that was obviously already taken. Then again, sometimes it's hard to decide if people are getting more food or have already left.

Mura

Exactly ... you can't always tell, but I would agree that brand new orange juice and coffee, clean napkins, would definitely be a clue:). I would hesitate to sit down in that case.

When we go to the buffet one will stay with the table while the other get their food ...that is why I try not to go to the buffet very often

I feel like I am eating alone

YMMV

Lyn

This is what we do in the Terrace. We find a table, order our beverages and we go up separately ... even at a table for 2:) (especially when it's a perfect table by the window looking out at a perfect sea ... not taking any chances ;)!)

Most leave the napkin on the arm of the chair or the back of the chair to signify it is taken

When done you leave the napkin on the table

Does not always work but most of the time it does

One night we went to the buffet it was not busy so we had the perfect 2 top by the window

since it was not busy we went up to get our food at the same time ..the waiter had filled our water glasses & we left the napkin on the chair arm

When I returned there was a man eating at the table so I just took the next 2 top...the waiter came over & gave me the look like "what happened"

The man asked how I was & I said I WAS FINE UNTIL SOMEONE HAD TAKEN OUR TABLE..HE SAID OH HOW HORRIBLE THAT WAS

The waiter asked him if anyone was joining him ..he said his wife must have gone back to the room or something

DH & I then took turns going up ..while I was gone the man had gone up again & on his way back had spotted his wife further down the room

DH just laughed as he realized HE was at the wrong table all along

I prefer the GDR now ;)

Archived