Boarding

Pam in KY

If ship departs at 4:00, what is the latest time one can board. We have family members who, because of work, have to fly in the day of the cruise. It is truly unavoidable...no evening before flights that they would be able to make after work since we don't live near a major airport. Their flight time was just changed to somewhat later. They will arrive at the airport at about 12:20. Our PC suggested that taking a cab to the port would be faster for them. This is their first cruise and they will be devastated if they miss it but fortunately they do all have insurance.

If ship departs at 4:00, what is the latest time one can board. We have family members who, because of work, have to fly in the day of the cruise. It is truly unavoidable...no evening before flights that they would be able to make after work since we don't live near a major airport. Their flight time was just changed to somewhat later. They will arrive at the airport at about 12:20. Our PC suggested that taking a cab to the port would be faster for them. This is their first cruise and they will be devastated if they miss it but fortunately they do all have insurance.

Oh my... I would call the cruiseline and find out their requirements for that particular cruise! I'm thinking your family member should have made special arrangements with their employer.

Yes take a taxi directly to the port don't try saving money on a shuttle and hope for the best! This is a recipe for disaster....

PS did you check the HAL website in the "booked" passenger area??

From where and to what are they flying?

Do they have to make a connection?

If the ship leaves at 4 PM -- they need to be on board by 2:30.

Lifeboat drill is at 3:15.

Tampa?? -- definitely take a taxi -- about 1/2 hour maybe longer if there is traffic.

Ft Lauderdale -- 15 - 20 mimutes.

Check the insurance policy -- some will not pay off if you miss the ship because of flights booked too close to departure.

nana - They would leave earlier if they were able!

KrazyKruisers - They are flying from Cincinnati to Fort Lauderdale on a non-stop Delta flight. We will check insurance and also confirm departure time.

The only other option is driving as soon as they get off work Friday...but it is a very, very long drive.

Make sure they have the essentials for their cruise in their carry-on. Just in case for some reason their bags don't make it. I always pack carry-ons as if I will never see my suitcase again! And it happens :(

Good luck and hope they have a wonderful cruise!

I'm thinking that they will get there sooner if they take a taxi but if they are on a HAL shuttle from the airport then I believe HAL would wait for this shuttle. If for some reason they don't make the shuttle, there is always the tai as a backup.

I'm thinking that they will get there sooner if they take a taxi but if they are on a HAL shuttle from the airport then I believe HAL would wait for this shuttle. If for some reason they don't make the shuttle, there is always the tai as a backup.

From the HAL website:

What Are The Boarding Procedures, Port Everglades?

Embarkation times are printed on the Signature Preferred Boarding Pass page on Express Docs. Generally, however, early embarkation will commence at 11:30 a.m. There may be certain exceptions due to local governmental procedures. Due to new port security requirements at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, we are unable to provide our guests with access to the cruise terminal prior to 11:00 a.m. Keep in mind that you must be on the ship at least one hour before departure, and the gangway will be pulled 30 minutes before sailing.

Just guessing here, but HAL probably has a cutoff time for the last shuttle leaving for Port. I can't imagine they would hold up a bus load of pax, waiting for stragglers, thus stressing out some pax already on the bus.

Good luck to them!! All they need to worry about is weather, issues with the plane, issues at the airport....what a stressful way to start vacation.

I hope on their next cruise they are able to make arrangements to fly in a day early. As mentioned above, they should look to see what their insurance plan covers.

It was a long time ago, but we were to be Norwegian Majesty out of Boston (repo to Caribbean via Bermuda). One bag got mishandled, so we had to spend a bit of extra time at the airport.

Fortunately, we had booked the NCL shuttle. With less than one hour before our scheduled departure, one other couple and us were the last to board. It was easy and fast. I was frantic!

We did miss muster drill, but we had a 'make-up' session the next day. All that worry for naught, for the dock workers were working slowly and we did not depart for 3 hours!

Ft. Lauderdale taxis are easy to find and it costs less than $20 to the pier. Missing a bag? That will slow you down! Plane late - oops! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Jim

Archived