Samana a Joke on US????

Big Feet

The majority of cruising guests to any Caribbean port are likely to be English speaking.

If the hosting country wants to make the guests feel welcome, making an effort to understand basic English is a good idea. The more welcome you make your guests, the more likely they are to stay awhile and go to town, take a tour, ride a taxi and shop in a store.

The goal of any port visit is to maximize revenue from the cruising guests, and that language barrier will likely make the port visits less profitable.

Now, we haven't been to some of these ports, but when in St. Martin, Barbados, Aruba, St Lucia, and several others, we find most people, especially tour guides, shop owners and taxi drivers, understand English pretty well. This makes us comfortable on their island and gives us a more enjoyable experience. Lots of smiles too.

I'm not saying they should change their culture, or lose whatever it is that makes their island special, just saying understanding the language of your guests probably will make your port visits happier places.

OWD (Ocean Wave Dave)

I've never thought about it like this. But you do make an excellent point.

Gina

Well, one good thing that came out of this thread for me is that I have been procrastinating getting insurance coverage on my wedding band. I think I will do that over the next few weeks before we leave on EoS to visit Samana. I hate the idea of leaving it on the ship but will feel much better visiting the Caribbean with it if it's insured.

We have been to Samana many times. My advice is: this is probably not a port where you can just get off and put something together. You really need to do your homework - and book privately or through the ship, but book ahead.

My experience (personal and many family and friend reviews): Good reviews for activities put together ahead of time; and not good reviews for activities put together once you get to port.

To me, it sounds like you booked a whale watching tour and were unhappy with the number of whales sighted.

Getting ten feet from a mother whale with calf should be reason enough to put on the lifejackets.

ADA or not there are things that handicapped can't do in the US, nevermind less developed countries.

Not sure where you got that from? The poster relaying her experience said that they were dangerously close to the whales which creates stress, especially for a newborn and mother whale. Chasing it also creates stress. I certainly hope you aren't the type of person that advocates stressing animals out for our own enjoyment? The lifejacket comment was not made because they were near the whales. It was made by the tour operators because they were close to other boats and they may hit one of them. Big huge difference. Not to mention they aren't supposed to have more than one boat next to the whales at a given time.

In the end, the excursion says you would probably see hundreds of whales but I doubt anyone would think they all actually have appointments to show up in the water for us to view. But hundreds and the two to five I have seen in most reviews is quite different, no?

Well, one good thing that came out of this thread for me is that I have been procrastinating getting insurance coverage on my wedding band. I think I will do that over the next few weeks before we leave on EoS to visit Samana. I hate the idea of leaving it on the ship but will feel much better visiting the Caribbean with it if it's insured.

You should do that anyway. You could lose it or be mugged of it in your ordinary life today.

Mrs. Poncho isn't keen AT ALL of it, but I bought her a stunt ring to wear on vacations where the opportunity for loss is higher than others. She dislikes it and only wears it when I insist. The nice ring stays in the stunt ring's jewelry box in the safe.

ETA: The stunt ring is a $50 matching female version of my ring. While she likes mine, she doesn't much care for hers. However, that isn't a big concern due to the limited number of hours she wears it. She can't hurt it and even if she lost it or had it stolen... who cares?

You should do that anyway. You could lose it or be mugged of it in your ordinary life today.

I agree with this, especially the being mugged part.

A flashy/expensive piece of jewelry may very well draw the attention of the muggers. Even a 'copy' would cause you to be singled out.

I wouldn't wear either on shore in certain ports.

I know, I know, could be mugged anywhere but why put the temptation out there in such a poor place?

To the poster who talked about getting the ring insured ... that's a good idea, but what about the sentimental value?

Curious was the zip lining Terry's endevor? He told us he wanted to start that.... I hope so, and I hope he continues his success! Great guy.

It was another American who built/owns the zip line that Terry was introduced us too. I don't remember his name but he is an American and was helping to gear everyone up and get them on the zip-line. It was called walk-the-plank zipline.

The op says that the tour guide spoke "broken english". Should it really be a demand that a tour guide speaks fluent/perfect english when you are visiting a country where english is not the first language.

..but yeah, it is a hassle to learn a new language...

It seems a reasonable expectation to me when the reservation form lets you specify the language you want the tour to be in.

If you did research you'd know that it's not the greatest port in the world. There is a great excursion from the ship called Cayo Levantado. Great beach day and would go back.

RCL has been going here for years.

Where is Cato levant ado, Samana or Belize?

I have never been to Samana, but have been to Belize (twice) which was lumped in with Samana as a port NOT to be visited.

I've also been to Dominica, which has a dock unlike those of the more visited islands.

Again, have NOT been to Samana and can NOT speak to safety issues, but personally tend to PREFER the less-visited islands of the Caribbean, such as Dominica, St. Kitts, Belize, Roatan, etc. More well-visited ports eventually all seem the same (St. Thomas, St. Martin, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, etc.)

It takes more advance planning and research to enjoy the lesser-known islands, but often they are real treasures.

Just the opinion of someone reacting to COMPARISONS, not to SAMANA specifically...as I have not been there.

[

thanks for the update!

QUOTE=scrappylenore;36822786]It was another American who built/owns the zip line that Terry was introduced us too. I don't remember his name but he is an American and was helping to gear everyone up and get them on the zip-line. It was called walk-the-plank zipline.

We tried Belize this past summer via Carnival and were shocked that Carnival actually went there. We were even more shocked when we came back from our cruise and noticed that RCCL goes there also. Never again for our family!

I and the entire ship, said the same thing about Belize yet there are tons of people on here who think Belize is one of the greatest ports in the world :eek:

I agree with this, especially the being mugged part.

A flashy/expensive piece of jewelry may very well draw the attention of the muggers. Even a 'copy' would cause you to be singled out.

I wouldn't wear either on shore in certain ports.

I know, I know, could be mugged anywhere but why put the temptation out there in such a poor place?

To the poster who talked about getting the ring insured ... that's a good idea, but what about the sentimental value?

....Seriously?:rolleyes:

Cayo Levantado is a small island off the coast of Samana.

Both can be seen here.

Belize is here.

You can zoom the maps in and out to see where they are relative to places you know.

Theron

I have been sooo frustrated with what little information I've been getting about Samana....it seems like everyone wants you to buy a tour or excursion here. I've just been looking for an answer from one person as to if there is a boat that will take you to Cayo Levantado for $10 per person on the main dock. The Go Samana website says there is but I can't seem to find one person that has taken it - or at least one that will answer me :( Everyone says to arrange a tour there or take the ship excursion there but I don't really want to pay more than $20 a person to go...

We were in Samara a couple of years ago. I read various things on the boards so I decided that we would go on a tour from RC. My husband has a seizure disorder and other health issuse so I research every place we go. We don't like to stay on the ship so we pick the tour that someone posted ---church, whale museum, tour of the area, and a short time at a beach. It was to be 2 to 2 1/2 hours. It started as the OP mentioned, we tendered in to a small dock with a small building. It was at the side of a road but our bus was there. First we stopped at the church or rather looked out the window of the bus. Then we went to the whale museum which had some rib bones of a whale, some shells and a bathroom. Then we went on a 4 hour ride through the countryside seeing very poor areas. We did stop at a roadside gift shop. Several children were outside the bus begging for money. Since I did not buy anything and had about 20 dollars in singles, I gave each a dollar. Then it started to rain. We can't control the rain but it added to the negative part of this tour. We drove to a nicer area with an eating place but not know how the food was prepared, we had a couple of cans of soda. We had expected to be back at the ship way before this so I did not bring another thing to eat. Then we got back on the bus and it poured. After about a half an hour we stopped because other buses in front of us stopped. The rain had caused an electric pole to fall on the road. After another 1/2 hour, one bus pushed the pole on the side. It was almost time for the last tender when we got to the dock. It was still pouring but we had rain coats that did not help much since there was water in the tender. We were so wet we had to change. The ship waited because several hundred people were not back. Some people from CC had been on a private tour and had to take a boat across a washed out road. It was not a great experience we will probably not get off the ship the next time. It turned out to be 6 1/2 hours. I will say that we went to Falmouth next soon after they started to stop there and we had a great time on a plantation tour. So do your research for each stop.

Okay so I'm not completely irresponsible. They were both insured up until a month or so ago when we switched insurance providers. The new provider wanted an updated appraisal since mine is more than 5 years old (we were engaged for more than 6 years! :eek: ) and the ring has been in the shop since the last appraisal was done. I've just been kinda putting it off because my appraiser who did the last one has retired and I was looking for someone else who I trusted to do it. I really don't need any lectures on insurance. I know, I just got lazy for a few weeks.

You should do that anyway. You could lose it or

It fits well and I never take it off so the only way I would lose it is if it were taken from me. Given the places I frequent in a given day, chances are very very slim that would happen. I've lived in the city most of my life and I have a pretty good idea when it's a good time to hide your valuables or get the heck out of wherever you are. It doesn't concern me nearly as much to walk around my home with it.

What about it? I can't live my life in fear that some idiot is going to commit some crime against me. If I did I would never leave my house. Would I be disappointed? Sure. Would I replace it and get on with my life? You bet. You can't dwell on things you cannot change and if it were stolen, well, I can't change that so why worry about it? I know my husband loves me whether I'm wearing my original wedding rings or a replacement set.

....Seriously?:rolleyes:

Yes. Seriously.

You do not believe that flashing expensive things or wads of cash in poorer areas increases your chances of being targeted for robbery? You seem to be very naive.

Walk around Oak Park, Chicago with a few hundred dollar bills sticking out of your pocket. Walk around Harlem or Alphabet City, New York with your iPad & diamond rings. Walk around East LA singing "I just won $500 in the lotto!"

Get back to me when you get your results. Those results are not out of place in any poorer areas in the world.

Despite whatever guilt a person may feel because of their personal lot in life... it is not racist, nationalistic, or rude to admit that crime is prevelant in many poorer areas or cities.

This is neither here nor there but I read it when I was doing research on Samana so I'll put it out there. (I tend to over research when I'm going somewhere new)

People of Samana would never steal. They are dependent on tourism and if they were caught, the government would throw them in jail with no mercy. However, they do enjoy gaming (cheating - my words) people. Not resetting the gas gauge to zero when pumping gas, shortchanging, etc.

So basically, as always, when you're in a different place, pay attention and be aware of your surroundings.

Research your destination and plan accordingly.

I loved Samana and hope to go back someday.

People of Samana would never steal. They are dependent on tourism and if they were caught, the government would throw them in jail with no mercy.

This was my thought as well. Don't you think that someone who was "desperate and hungry" as another poster put it would be questioned as to where they got diamond jewelery that they were trying to sell for money? I would think they probably would and the consequences of admitting it was stolen could be quite undesirable if dealing with a reputable buyer...

Archived