Snow!!!

kelkel2

So this isn't really a question just kinda a panic stricken thread. We are due to fly out of Chicago Midway Friday morning at 6:05 AM and there is supposed to be 1-2 inches of snow the night before.

Panicked! I know that shouldn't be enough snow to affect the airport too much but if there's 2 inches of snow overnight what types of delays should I be expecting?

1-2 inches isn't going to close a northern airport that is accustomed to that type of weather. I grew up on the Great Lakes and know the kind of weather the "Windy City" can get. It would likely however shut down FLL. Really the worst you can be expected to face is some minor delays for de icing. I live in what some consider to be northern Canada and our airport, YEG is really only impacted severly when we get a blizzard. Have a coffee and relax.

1-2 inches isn't going to close a northern airport that is accustomed to that type of weather. I grew up on the Great Lakes and know the kind of weather the "Windy City" can get. It would likely however shut down FLL. Really the worst you can be expected to face is some minor delays for de icing. I live in what some consider to be northern Canada and our airport, YEG is really only impacted severly when we get a blizzard. Have a coffee and relax.

Thank you! My sister lives very close to Midway and she tells me the same thing. I just can't help but worry! Thankfully we have a direct flight to FLL so minor delays won't cause us any trouble!

So this isn't really a question just kinda a panic stricken thread. We are due to fly out of Chicago Midway Friday morning at 6:05 AM and there is supposed to be 1-2 inches of snow the night before.

Panicked! I know that shouldn't be enough snow to affect the airport too much but if there's 2 inches of snow overnight what types of delays should I be expecting?

Keep checking your airline's webpage for updates about any delays or cancellations. Today's UA webpage has this to say about the weather in Chicago:

Operations Summary

As of 10:10 a.m. Central, Wed., Jan. 23, 2013

The following cities/regions may experience flight delays:

Chicago, IL - Snow, gusty wind

Keep checking your airline's webpage for updates about any delays or cancellations. Today's UA webpage has this to say about the weather in Chicago:

Operations Summary

As of 10:10 a.m. Central, Wed., Jan. 23, 2013

The following cities/regions may experience flight delays:

Chicago, IL - Snow, gusty wind

I sure will! I checked Southwest's website earlier and it didn't mention anything about weather. Thought that was strange..

Your plane should be parked overnight at ORD, so it should be fine

Has tarmac parking become so tight at MDW that they ferry over to ORD for the night?? :D:D

To the OP....airports in the "snow belt" handle that amount with ease. Drop that into ATL or SEA and you have panic-ville. All depends on that real estate mantra - Location, Location, Location!!

Has tarmac parking become so tight at MDW that they ferry over to ORD for the night?? :D:D

To the OP....airports in the "snow belt" handle that amount with ease. Drop that into ATL or SEA and you have panic-ville. All depends on that real estate mantra - Location, Location, Location!!

My favorite was in December when I flew out of HSV and got de-iced by a guy on a trailer being pulled by a Ford F-250.

One week later I was in YUL and it was a well oiled assembly line of de-icing equipment with planes going through it.

LOL--I saw Chicago, missed the Midway. Same advice goes for either.

That helps that we aren't waiting on the plane to land from somewhere! I didn't know it stayed the night at the airport!!

Southwest doesn't operate red eye flights so it'll probably park in Chicago around 9-10pm the night before, give or take. A little sleuthing, such as on Flightaware, can sometimes tell you where your plane is coming in from so you can keep an eye on its status

That helps that we aren't waiting on the plane to land from somewhere! I didn't know it stayed the night at the airport!!

It's very seldom that a flight before 6:30 am originates someplace else that day. Even if it's a red eye that arrives at 5:00 am, the plane has to be emptied, fully serviced (during the day they only do a cursory service between flights) and reloaded, something that takes a little time. On some carriers (like Southwest) I don't think any flight before about 8:00 am begins it's day in another city.

It's very seldom that a flight before 6:30 am originates someplace else that day. Even if it's a red eye that arrives at 5:00 am, the plane has to be emptied, fully serviced (during the day they only do a cursory service between flights) and reloaded, something that takes a little time. On some carriers (like Southwest) I don't think any flight before about 8:00 am begins it's day in another city.

It's rare but happens. I've been on a 7:30am out of Kansas City that came in at 7:05am following a 6:00am departure from STL.

Poster #2 mentioned that 1-2 inches of snow would most likely shut down FLL. Not only would it shut down FLL it would be a weather anomaly that would shut down many airports. FLL is in southern Florida. Many folks down that way have never seen snow!

Poster #2 mentioned that 1-2 inches of snow would most likely shut down FLL. Not only would it shut down FLL it would be a weather anomaly that would shut down many airports. FLL is in southern Florida. Many folks down that way have never seen snow!

As a transplanted northerner currently living in Florida, I'd be ROFL if that happened.

I have seen snow once since I moved to Orlando. They were these miniscule flakes that melted before they hit the ground. An anomaly for sure!

Archived