What is the pub lunch?

stipmom

While the ships' "Pub Lunch" is but a facsimile of a British Pub lunch, for nothing could take the place of the latter, it is a nice break from the repetative dining venues. Some ships are better at it than others (to us the smaller the ship the better the Pub Lunch) And mushy peas are not the today's frozen peas mushed up but rather dried peas which have been reconstituted, flavoured and mashed. Memories of my childhood.

I've had the pub lunch on other ships but I have to say that on the Island in October, it was awful. After ordering the fish and chips, he came back immediately (maybe 15 seconds later) after taking my order with a plate of two small (maybe 3"x1"), very overdone pieces of fish that I needed a knife to cut. I asked for tartar sauce and was given a tiny cup of a liquid. I asked another waiter for tartar sauce and he brought another tiny cup of the same stuff. The fish came with perhaps four pieces of potato. I left a few minutes after attempting to eat this stuff. It really was nasty and no one cared. It was so unlike my experience on the Star last year which was wonderful. :(

We have thoroughly enjoyed the pub lunch (and, right, it's not the same as in UK), EXCEPT on our last cruise (Coral to Alaska), when our experience was as you describe. Hope it is better on the Island next month!

It can be more than two times on cruises of more than one week.

We had it three times on our recent sailing on the Star (15-day Hawaii). Before that, we never even entertained the thought of going to the Pub lunch. I'm glad we did. The first time, we were walking by a long line on Deck 7 to the Crown Grill. At the end of the line were our friends who insisted we join them. What a pleasant surprise! The menu was short but the service was excellent and the fish and chips were perfectly cooked. However, it wasn't the food that made us plan on coming back...it was the wonderfully baked bread pudding for dessert.

The second time around we got in line on our own and joined a super nice couple who came back...also for the dessert! Another nice lunch made even better with good people.

The third time, we asked our trivia mates to join us. They asked if there was a fee. I said "no"...so they joined us. Our friend then made one of the funniest comments of our cruise, she said: "Oh I don't mind fish and chips as long as it doesn't smell fishy". We had another great lunch...best of all, the delicious bread pudding. :)

We had it three times on our recent sailing on the Star (15-day Hawaii). Before that, we never even entertained the thought of going to the Pub lunch. I'm glad we did. The first time, we were walking by a long line on Deck 7 to the Crown Grill. At the end of the line were our friends who insisted we join them. What a pleasant surprise! The menu was short but the service was excellent and the fish and chips were perfectly cooked. However, it wasn't the food that made us plan on coming back...it was the wonderfully baked bread pudding for dessert.

The second time around we got in line on our own and joined a super nice couple who came back...also for the dessert! Another nice lunch made even better with good people.

The third time, we asked our trivia mates to join us. They asked if there was a fee. I said "no"...so they joined us. Our friend then made one of the funniest comments of our cruise, she said: "Oh I don't mind fish and chips as long as it doesn't smell fishy". We had another great lunch...best of all, the delicious bread pudding. :)

I have never indulged in the pub lunch..... but I might have to to check out the "bread and butter pudding".... I grew up on that, and I make an awesome one myself..... so I will check it out next month on the Diamond. :)

We have twice gone to the Crown Grill for a pub lunch, but after looking over the menu, decided that we couldn't afford the carbs or calories and left without eating. We try very hard to avoid gaining weight on cruises.

The last time we had fish and chips was at a little pub across the street from Windsor Castle called the The Horse and Groom, which I believe has been their since the time of George III. They were delicious, but the grease and carbs made us feel weighted down and groggy all day long. Unhealthy as they are, I do love crispy chips with vinegar.

Just off a 14 day Diamond Princess cruise. We were offered 4 Pub Lunch sittings during the cruise, (2 different menus repeated). They were all on sea days and were held in the Savoy Dining Room. We really enjoyed them, especially the steak and kidney pie.

I have to say I think the best offerings were Fish and Chips and the Chicken Curry.

The Scotch Egg had been deep fried and was really fatty - yuck - and not at all as I recall the taste when I last had one.

And the Ploughman's lunch ... nup ... not the real deal either so stick to the Fish and Chips, Chicken Curry or Crumbed Prawns.

Archived