Did I make a big mistake?

rockraiders

I booked our 3rd Carnival cruise on the Dream for the end of June. Myself, DH, DS 17 and DS 15. Originally booked 1 cove balcony room but last night I changed our booking and booked 2 1A with portholes side by side on main deck. Cruise 1 on Freedom and cruise 2 on Victory were both balconies. Will I be sorry? Should I switch back?

Pros

Saved $500

No crowding 4 in 1 room

2 bathrooms

I won't have to listen to DH snoring all night

Con

No balcony to enjoy

May be noisy so far forward

If it were me...I would book a balcony (not a suite)...just a reg. balcony for me and my man...then put the kiddos across the hall in an interior. Not sure what the price difference would be, but that is what I would prefer if I could afford to do so.

It's a personal choice. I would never not want to share a bed with my hubby ( I am pretty sure all 1A's are bunks?) so my first choice would be a bed with him. I would also no want 2 adults and 2 teenagers in a room together, so my second priority would be seperate rooms. I have never had a balcony (our first is booked for March) so I can't comment on how much you will miss it, but even with a balcony I would not do 2 adults and 2 teenagers in a room. So if it were me I would find 2 regualr or ocean view rooms, or do a balcony for you and a 1A for them across the hall or something. I bet you could find some combination for the $500 you saved. BUT if the $500 is worth it to you, go for it! Only you know what's most important to you :)

I wouldn't want to put 2 teens and 2 adults in one room and I am with some of the others and would want to share a bed with my DH. If I were in this situation, I too would play around with different combinations in order to have two rooms even if it meant 2 regular interiors or 1 1A and 1 interior.

I have done all categories (except suites). I would be okay with not having a balcony, especially if it meant 2 people per room vs. all 4 sharing one.

That's just me though.

Have a great cruise regardless!

I'm another one that would vote for 2 rooms even if they were inside instead of balcony. I agree with others who say look for some combination of cabins that are close by but maybe a 1A for the teens and a regular inside or OV for the parents. In my opinion 2 adults and 2 teens in a cabin is too crowded!

It's a personal choice. I would never not want to share a bed with my hubby ( I am pretty sure all 1A's are bunks?) so my first choice would be a bed with him. :)

Correct, from my understanding all 1As are bunk beds. PTs are the same cabin with regular beds versus bunk beds.

Not all 1A's are bunks. We had a 1A on the Dream that had a twin and a sofa bed.

Sharon

I booked our 3rd Carnival cruise on the Dream for the end of June. Myself, DH, DS 17 and DS 15. Originally booked 1 cove balcony room but last night I changed our booking and booked 2 1A with portholes side by side on main deck. Cruise 1 on Freedom and cruise 2 on Victory were both balconies. Will I be sorry? Should I switch back?

Pros

Saved $500

No crowding 4 in 1 room

2 bathrooms

I won't have to listen to DH snoring all night

Con

No balcony to enjoy

May be noisy so far forward

I'd sleep on the ground if it would get the teenagers out of the cabin! :)

These 1As have a twin and sofa bed. I am regretting my decision to change cabins but I'm afraid its too late now since we are now booked under early saver. I don't want to pay $50pp to change back. We will just have to make the best of it. As long as we have a clean and comfortable place to sleep we will have a great vacation. I will miss the balcony. Lesson learned.

These 1As have a twin and sofa bed. I am regretting my decision to change cabins but I'm afraid its too late now since we are now booked under early saver. I don't want to pay $50pp to change back. We will just have to make the best of it. As long as we have a clean and comfortable place to sleep we will have a great vacation. I will miss the balcony. Lesson learned.

On early saver, can't you still upgrade? Just not downgrade?

I would do exactly what you did! I've sailed with 4 to a cabin before, and it can get just a bit crowded! :eek: Those 1-A cabins on "Dream" are very good, IMO, and I think you'll be a happy camper in the long run. (Oh yea, enjoy that extra $500 in your wallet!) :cool:

"SKY"

I think it is great, those are nice 1A's i want to try.

Nobody can say they got better..you know it is all equitable which is cool. 2 bathrooms (yes!!)...my sister and her hubbie turned down a suite upgrade freebie on checking on to the Miracle when new with 2 boys..2 bathrooms were mandatory and very preferable in her view.

Take gentle earplugs just in case...I need those Macks on my ears...they mold on outside and don't hurt...

You guys can have privacy and both be on a lower bed..if the porthole 1 a's with couch that makes as a twin...it is going to be a fun try on a different place on ship..and you all can have a special something with that 500 this time..i'd mention that to the kids..learning tradeoffs..etc..have a blast..you still have outside views..right...the porthole 1 A's...terrific...Sarah

Thanks for all the responses. I'm feeling better about my choice. I forgot you can upgrade without the $50pp. I would love to upgrade but find cruising in the summer is expensive for a family of 4. I have the cruise bug and feeling withdrawal symptoms. I really need to go and this year summer is our only option.

I love my balcony, but I think if I had to choose between a balcony with 4 adults in the room, or two port holes, I'd pick the two port holes. I can't imagine sharing a cabin with 2 teenagers. Little kids, maybe, but not full sized people. I think you did the right thing.

Archived