Cancellation fees Celebrity Sydney

Ozy71

We have needed to cancel a cruise with Celebrity and in addition to loss of deposit, we are to be charged $200 admin fee. We had paid more than the deposit, but what happens if there was only the deposit in the account at time of cancellation? Do they send send a bill for Admin fee?

Has anyone been sent a bill for an Admin fee, If so did you pay it?

Not an expert here but if the cancellation is within 151 days of sailing you lose your deposit. The $200 is most likely a charge applied by your Travel Agent, nothing to do with the cruise line.

No, we booked direct with Celebrity Sydney. The loss of deposit was expected, but the Admin fee was not.

No, we booked direct with Celebrity Sydney. The loss of deposit was expected, but the Admin fee was not.

Not an expert here but if the cancellation is within 151 days of sailing you lose your deposit. The $200 is most likely a charge applied by your Travel Agent, nothing to do with the cruise line.

I think the admin fee is new. Earlier this month I wanted to upgrade on my upcoming cruise and was told by my TA there would be fee from the TA and that Celebrity had also recently introduced a fee. I didn't bother upgrading.

If you paid by credit they may just take it out. If you paid by bank transfer maybe you could just ignore it. That is a lot of money for an admin fee.

Goodluck.

Linda

I think the admin fee is new. Earlier this month I wanted to upgrade on my upcoming cruise and was told by my TA there would be fee from the TA and that Celebrity had also recently introduced a fee. I didn't bother upgrading.

If you paid by credit they may just take it out. If you paid by bank transfer maybe you could just ignore it. That is a lot of money for an admin fee.

Goodluck.

Linda

and they act all aggrieved when people book overseas.

We have needed to cancel a cruise with Celebrity and in addition to loss of deposit, we are to be charged $200 admin fee. We had paid more than the deposit, but what happens if there was only the deposit in the account at time of cancellation? Do they send send a bill for Admin fee?

Why not write to Celebrity Head Office (USA) I think, and ask why are you being charged a cancellation admin fee. I believe it is very important that all bookings regardless of where they happen should have the same conditions.

Celebrity are not an Australian based company, the office in Sydney is run by Celebrity employees, I don't understand why the cancellation conditions are different????:confused:

Very greedy buggars. With so much competition for cruising out of Australia, you would think they would not be charging this fee. I wonder if they are charging it in the USA??

I thought charging a fee in excess of the cost of the service but as a 'punitive' fee was in fact illegal. Haven't the banks been done for the same thing by the ACCC.

I would also question as to if te fee was introduced after you booked a fee cannot be charged retrospectively IF Celebrity Australia had no advised all affected in writing or by some reasonable method all who were affected knew the few was in place. For example if a bank changes the terms and conditions of your credit cards or whatever they have to inform you either by mail out ( with your next statement) or a bit flashing sign on their online banking page or email. They cannot 'secretly' create a fee and charge it (despite what people think).

From what we have found they wont take the booking unless ther admin fee is covered by the deposit. Thats why some deposits are outrageous.

You do not have to pay it. We have been asked for a big deposit in the past and refused, saying that we had seen it on the cruise lines web site and their deposit was much less and we would therefore book direct...

Guess what....

They suddenly backed off and accepted the lower deposit.:rolleyes:

We have to educate these "stuck in the past, I'm doing you a favour by taking your booking travel agents" ... and let them know that there is another agent down the road or on the net that will be only too happy to better the deal.

They are earning massive commissions out us for cruising..its money for jam for them and its us who are paying...:eek:

From what we have found they wont take the booking unless ther admin fee is covered by the deposit. Thats why some deposits are outrageous.

You do not have to pay it. We have been asked for a big deposit in the past and refused, saying that we had seen it on the cruise lines web site and their deposit was much less and we would therefore book direct...

Guess what....

They suddenly backed off and accepted the lower deposit.:rolleyes:

We have to educate these "stuck in the past, I'm doing you a favour by taking your booking travel agents" ... and let them know that there is another agent down the road or on the net that will be only too happy to better the deal.

They are earning massive commissions out us for cruising..its money for jam for them and its us who are paying...:eek:

OP booked Direct and was charged the $200 by Celebrity AU:eek:

I dont think they can bill a person who had paid deposit only? and unless they gave them authorisation to automatically deduct fees from their credit card then they couldnt just charge your card!

With Carnival USA I had an Automatic CC deduction for final payment and I had to give Authorisation and a specific date for that automatic deduction.

I think you have been done! In fact robbed. But seems to be the way with using an Australian arm of an American company.

Den

As the OP said, they did NOT book with a T/A but directly with Celebrity.

I think $200 admin fee is greedy considering the amount of work (read that as lack of) that would be involved:mad:.

I think the $200 admin fee would be greedy considering they're already keeping the deposit!

That said, I had a look through their terms and can't see any reference to the cancellation fee so think something doesn't sound right. There is a fee for cancelling flights, but this is understandable as they don't keep a deposit for that.

There may also charge a fee for making changes, which is disclosed, but no mention of one for cancelling cruise only, apart from the deposits.

If that fee was in the Booking Conditions when you 1st booked then I can't see what the argument is about. Sure, it may be excessive but making a booking means you agree to the conditions.

Otherwise what is the point of setting up the rules.

If it was in the booking conditions that a $200 admin charge would also be lost during a cancellation before final then the deposit amount would have to include that $200 to cover it,surly! Who else in their right mind would just hand over $200?

More reason not to pay anything bar minimum deposit until final is due!

Just another way of deterring Aussie/NZ cruisers from cancelling and re booking after a massive price drop!

Personally I will never book another non Australian cruiseline unless I have the same conditions and prices as the USA company offers US citizens but thats my choice.

you have clearly no idea of what's involved.

I have been around in my tea half hour and am very well aware of what is going on...

Air lines encourage direct sales , and if it were not for the fact that cruise lines are making massive profits and can afford to pay outrageous commissions , travel agents would have been out of business years ago.

Cruise lines cannot satisfy the present demand in Australia and NZ, but face competition in North America and as such have to look after their clients interests, not their own.

Did you have cruiseline Air Transfers booked as suggested? because i cant see them charging another $200 above the full deposit loss because thats why you loose your deposit,to pay the costs.

No airfares booked, just the cruise, but we did make the mistake of paying some off the cruise, so they have the money to charge the Admin fee. I have written to Celebrity Sydney to get them to re-consider the Admin Fee. So we are waiting on a response from them.

No airfares booked, just the cruise, but we did make the mistake of paying some off the cruise, so they have the money to charge the Admin fee. I have written to Celebrity Sydney to get them to re-consider the Admin Fee. So we are waiting on a response from them.

Good luck, and please let us know what transpires.

Nicki

I have been around in my tea half hour and am very well aware of what is going on...

Air lines encourage direct sales , and if it were not for the fact that cruise lines are making massive profits and can afford to pay outrageous commissions , travel agents would have been out of business years ago.

Cruise lines cannot satisfy the present demand in Australia and NZ, but face competition in North America and as such have to look after their clients interests, not their own.

Some people stay in business despite themselves. Book direct in the USA via the net if you can't find a reasonable agent. They will get the message.

Archived