First cruise alone. Feedback welcomed.

jean95404

I am posting this on Princess because that is the line my husband and I always cruised with. We had been planning another cruise for our anniversary and selected Hawaii. However my husband passed away at Thanksgiving a week before our anniversary. I am thinking about taking that cruise anyway, but I am wondering if it might be too hard for me to do alone. In my mid 60's. Any widows or widowers out there willing to share their first solo experience? It was what we loved doing, but I just don't know if I can face doing a cruise without him.

I am posting this on Princess because that is the line my husband and I always cruised with. We had been planning another cruise for our anniversary and selected Hawaii. However my husband passed away at Thanksgiving a week before our anniversary. I am thinking about taking that cruise anyway, but I am wondering if it might be too hard for me to do alone. In my mid 60's. Any widows or widowers out there willing to share their first solo experience? It was what we loved doing, but I just don't know if I can face doing a cruise without him.

once onboard you wont be alone as you can talk to lots of people and they have a solo get together if you wish to meet other people.....go and enjoy yourself and have a good cruise

I lost my husband a long time ago.Since retiring in 2001 I have been on 21 solo cruises with Princess.

Our men usually leave this world sooner than we do. I know he would wont you to continue enjoying something that you both loved to do and thats cruising.:)

My deepest condolences on the loss of your husband. Yours is a heartbreaking story that really touched me.

I can only advise that you make sure to join your sailing's Roll Call, become social with your fellow passengers before you get to the ship, get to know them and see who may enjoy doing the same things you do; playing cards, board games, trivia, outdoor activities, even art classes.

If the Hawaii cruise is too hard to face, maybe begin planning another cruise that you can have new experiences. Have you been to Alaska, Mexico, or Canada/New England? If the Hawaii cruise was your dream cruise, maybe dedicate it in his memory. The matriarch of our family said she would never forgive me if I cancelled my cruise during her final days. And when she did pass away less than a month later (ten days before her birthday and three weeks before Christmas), I turned around and booked me and my dad on cruise aboard the original Royal Princess. Is there a possible option of maybe inviting another family member or dear friend along?

Like kruisey said, our loved ones would want us to continue doing the things that we loved and enjoyed together, to create brand new memories and adventures.

Best wishes,

David

Im so sorry for your loss. Whatever you decide it will be hard but as previously said your husband would want you to carry on, personally l would save Hawaii for the future when l was feeling a bit stronger and choose an alternative for a first solo.

Have a wonderful time whatever you choose and although he may not be there in person he will be with you every step of the way.

Take care of yourself.

I can only advise that you make sure to join your sailing's Roll Call, become social with your fellow passengers before you get to the ship, get to know them and see who may enjoy doing the same things you do; playing cards, board games, trivia, outdoor activities, even art classes.

I agree.

On a roll call I am on a number of solo cruisers have identified themselves and have arranged to eat dinner in the traditional dining room together. The list includes someone who, like you, has lost her husband in the past year and is taking her first cruise since his passing.

• Administrators

I am so sorry for your loss. You will receive excellent advice on solo sailing on Princess from our wonderful members, and I also wanted to link for you our "Solo Cruising" message board -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373.

While not Princess-specific, you can also find many people there who cruise solo and have useful information to share.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my husband 5 months before an anniversary cruise. I decided to postpone that cruise as I just did not feel strong enough at that time to carry on alone. I did book a trip for a time just after the one year mark. I felt like I just needed to get away. I worried about being alone but figured, "Hey, how bad can it be. I can sit on my balcony sipping champagne with a good book while someone cooks all my food and cleans my room twice a day." That trip was the best thing I ever did for myself. I met a lot of really nice people, one of whom is still a dear, close friend. I could be alone when I needed to, but there were plenty of people and activities when I wanted to be out and about. I felt like I left for the trip a sad, lonely person and came back as myself. I have continued to sail solo for the past seven years and have always enjoyed myself.

You may want to give yourself a little time before you travel and you may want to book a different trip than the one you and your husband were planing together. I am sure he would want you to be happy whatever you decide to do.

I'm sorry for your loss. If you do decide to go on a cruise, you might want to check out a California Coastal cruise where you are in a port everyday. If you start to feel lonely just book a few shore excursions to help you stay busy. Also, if you like to read you could bring a Kindle. My Kindle is great company when I am alone at lunch or dinner. Take care.

Jean, I am very sorry for your loss. This is a hard call. I hope you can go though. My neighbor used to travel alone all the time and so does my brother. My brother always gets traditional dining to meet people.

I hope you enjoy it and though it will be different, I hope you still find some joy in the beautiful weather and meeting people. Take good care of yourself. God Bless...

I also am sorry to hear of your recent loss. Glad to see you are considering another cruise. That means you are beginning the healing process, which is iimportant.

I did the Hawaii cruise alone in September...first time traveling alone and it was great. We live in So Cal..so no flight involved, which made it nice. I met many nice people, joined a trivia group, read lots, had a wonderful dinner table and many of us were traveling alone, so we all had things in common. I was a bit hesitant at first, but went and sat on the dck with my book and no one even realized I was alone. Pretty easy to meet people on a cruise and I also felt very safe..great way to travel.

There is also a "solo travelers " blog on CC which had excellent ideas/suggestions. You might want to read that also.

Good luck with your decision. It will be the right one for you, whatever you decide.:p

Archived