Transpacific crossings - a really dumb question

kazu

Yes, Volendam has a nice sailing - and yes, doing the collectors' cruise - leaves on March 31st and the transpacific (with some nice Japanese ports) leaves on April 14th - so we will have some nice warm climes.

Oh my, decisions, decisions:D

Thanks everyone - you have been fantastic to help me like this - it is very, very appreciated:)

That's a heck of a spring. There can't be much time between that and your Prinsendam adventure. If you do it we probably won't be all that far apart, I leave Kobe Japan on April 12 (oops April 13, we overnight in Kobe). I couldn't get into the HAL web site to see the itinerary from the San Juan Starbucks but it sounds like a very nice cruise.

Roy

That's a heck of a spring. There can't be much time between that and your Prinsendam adventure. If you do it we probably won't be all that far apart, I leave Kobe Japan on April 12 (oops April 13, we overnight in Kobe). I couldn't get into the HAL web site to see the itinerary from the San Juan Starbucks but it sounds like a very nice cruise.

Roy

Oh no Roy - do you think I'm NUTS:D this is a 2014 cruise (sorry I wasn't specific). My Prinsendam cruise in May is enough right now on my plate! I can only do one collectors cruise a year:D;) sorry, no chance to see you in Kobe - wish I could - this is next yearl. Prinsendam is #1 this year;) Actually a roll call member on our currenlyt very slow roll call:rolleyes: tuned me into this. Kind of worried about China visas though:eek:

smooth seas - hope you are joining us this year (no dam fingers crossed icon and I'm not talented enough to create one)

Kazu, we're taking that Kobe-Vancouver 31-day Collectors Cruise this year. It's a fab itinerary with great ports in China, South Korea and Japan. And bonus - we'll be in Japan during cherry blossom season. How good is that?

We're certainly not discouraged by the temperatures. Average daily highs for the 1st segment is 14-19C, which are very acceptable for touring. It gets a tad chiller on the 2nd segment with daily highs of only 6-11C, so we'll bundle up a bit more. As the old saying goes ... there's no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing! :):)

Kazu, we're taking that Kobe-Vancouver 31-day Collectors Cruise this year. It's a fab itinerary with great ports in China, South Korea and Japan. And bonus - we'll be in Japan during cherry blossom season. How good is that?

We're certainly not discouraged by the temperatures. Average daily highs for the 1st segment is 14-19C, which are very acceptable for touring. It gets a tad chiller on the 2nd segment with daily highs of only 6-11C, so we'll bundle up a bit more. As the old saying goes ... there's no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing! :):)

thanks very much:D great minds think alike;)

I must take a look at your roll call - I'm struggling trying to figure out the best way to fly there and get to Kobe:eek:

Oh no Roy - do you think I'm NUTS:D this is a 2014 cruise (sorry I wasn't specific). My Prinsendam cruise in May is enough right now on my plate! I can only do one collectors cruise a year:D;) sorry, no chance to see you in Kobe - wish I could - this is next yearl. Prinsendam is #1 this year;) Actually a roll call member on our currenlyt very slow roll call:rolleyes: tuned me into this. Kind of worried about China visas though:eek:

smooth seas - hope you are joining us this year (no dam fingers crossed icon and I'm not talented enough to create one)

I'm trying to decide if this is a challenge. It is very unlikely. It's rare when Crystals ships meet in a port and it will happen next year in mid-March. I'm booked on the Symphony from Bali to Singapore and then jump to the Serenity there continuing (part of their WC) to Capetown. 3 days later I'm booked on the Amsterdam WC finale back to Ft. Lauderdale in April. I'm quite committed to this and plan to do it finances permitting. If not, Volendam sounds quite nice. If I did, I would probably combine it with the prior cruise from starting in Hong Kong. At various times I've almost circled the world by ship:

Between Hong Kong and Singapore on the Zaandam

Between Singapore and Dubai on Queen Victoria

Between Dubai and Athens on Silver Whisper

Between Athens and Rome on the Crystal Serenity

Between Rome and Barcelona on the Wind Surf

Between Barcelona and Southampton on the Crystal Symphony

Between Southampton and New York on the QE2

Between New York and Charleston on Blount's Grande Mariner

Between Charleston and San Francisco on the Crystal Symphony

Between San Francisco and Tokyo/Shanghai on the Crystal Harmony

Filling in that last gap between China or Japan and Hong Kong would be nice but it's not my highest priority.

45 days on the Volendam would only be about $500 more than 27 on the Amsterdam. Clearly it would be a lot less expensive than that plus a month on Crystal.

Roy

I'm trying to decide if this is a challenge. It is very unlikely. It's rare when Crystals ships meet in a port and it will happen next year in mid-March. I'm booked on the Symphony from Bali to Singapore and then jump to the Serenity there continuing (part of their WC) to Capetown. 3 days later I'm booked on the Amsterdam WC finale back to Ft. Lauderdale in April. I'm quite committed to this and plan to do it finances permitting. If not, Volendam sounds quite nice. If I did, I would probably combine it with the prior cruise from starting in Hong Kong. At various times I've almost circled the world by ship:

Between Hong Kong and Singapore on the Zaandam

Between Singapore and Dubai on Queen Victoria

Between Dubai and Athens on Silver Whisper

Between Athens and Rome on the Crystal Serenity

Between Rome and Barcelona on the Wind Surf

Between Barcelona and Southampton on the Crystal Symphony

Between Southampton and New York on the QE2

Between New York and Charleston on Blount's Grande Mariner

Between Charleston and San Francisco on the Crystal Symphony

Between San Francisco and Tokyo/Shanghai on the Crystal Harmony

Filling in that last gap between China or Japan and Hong Kong would be nice but it's not my highest priority.

45 days on the Volendam would only be about $500 more than 27 on the Amsterdam. Clearly it would be a lot less expensive than that plus a month on Crystal.

Roy

worry pas:D have a great time and we will too:D

I must take a look at your roll call - I'm struggling trying to figure out the best way to fly there and get to Kobe:eek:

I have been looking at this cruise too. I would just be me and my then 12 year old daughter. I hate to recommend Air Canada but their prices to Japan are crazy low, from Toronto anyway. DH has a pilot friend and he has no idea why (not with AC but Emerites) all he can come up with is the route is not popular.

So if we do book we will be booking flights on AC the same day and then looking into options to get from Tyoko to Kobe and this year's roll call (and last years...been looking for awhile) have been very helpful.

I have been looking at this cruise too. I would just be me and my then 12 year old daughter. I hate to recommend Air Canada but their prices to Japan are crazy low, from Toronto anyway. DH has a pilot friend and he has no idea why (not with AC but Emerites) all he can come up with is the route is not popular.

So if we do book we will be booking flights on AC the same day and then looking into options to get from Tyoko to Kobe and this year's roll call (and last years...been looking for awhile) have been very helpful.

Roll calls are a wonderful thing - as are the helpful people on them;) It's still too soon for me to book. I think I will end up going a few days early and fly to Osaka and then transfer to Kobe later. We'll see what is there when the time comes.

thanks for the info very much:) The flights I am looking at are out of T.O. as well - maybe we'll end up on the same plane! Time will tell.

thanks again:)

Archived