Land Legs

bunnyfoofoo82

We just got back from our first cruise and besides it being cold, we had a great time. My problem is for the past two day I feel like I'm still on the ship. Unfortunately it isn't the nice gentle rolling but big waves. Is this normal? I took Bonine for the entire trip and stopped yesterday, could I be suffering from withdrawal from it?

We just got back from our first cruise and besides it being cold, we had a great time. My problem is for the past two day I feel like I'm still on the ship. Unfortunately it isn't the nice gentle rolling but big waves. Is this normal? I took Bonine for the entire trip and stopped yesterday, could I be suffering from withdrawal from it?

Entirely normal. It's called Mal de barkment. Many people get it, some for a few days, others for longer periods. Some have found relief by continuing the seasickness remedies for a few days post cruise. It has to do with retraining your inner ear.

My worst case, I had it for about a month. Usually I only get a mild case of it for 3 or 4 days.

:)

It's called Mal de barkment.

:)

Actually, "Mal de debarquement." It's French. It means, in translation, sickness (mal) from (de) getting off the ship (debarquement).

It comes from a disruption of the balance centres of your ears, which have become accustomed to the motion of the ship over many days. When you suddenly get on land, your balance centres can't immediately adjust to no motion - therefore confusion to your brain.

It`s why the old stories of the pirates and old tars getting off ships after several months describe them as weaving from one side of the pavement to the other as they walked on land.

21st century remedies suggested here are good. Otherwise, you could just, you know, channel your inner old pirate.

It usually lasts 7-10 days for me. I don't even get seasick, but I sure do feel like I am still on the ship when I get home. Nobody else in my family experiences that for more than a day or 2, but I do. It's kind of nice sometimes. I can lay down, close my eyes and pretend I am still on the cruise.

I experienced this most noticeably after my first cruise which was 2 weeks with some occasional rough seas. Lasted about 2-3 weeks sporadically. On subsequent cruises it hasn't been as noticeable, if at all. I don't think it has to do with anti-seasick meds because I don't take them and have never been seasick. The inner ear balance explanation makes sense. I remember now reading about astronauts having a similar experience after space flight.

I don't think it has to do with anti-seasick meds because I don't take them and have never been seasick.

I agree, I've never taken meds either. After my first cruise I had that swaying feeling for weeks, it was worse when I was in an enclosed area like the shower. I never felt sick to my stomach, it was all in my head, that movement. The good news is it has never happened again after that first cruise.

I had it after my first cruise... kinda liked it. Figured it was like being a bit high or tipsy yet without the risks! LOL :) It only lasted a week or so for me.

I never need or take any of the seasick meds cause I don't experience any problems on board so I can't comment as to whether they would be of any benefit.

Archived