Overnight tender ports and Atlas air

cutiepie43

Hi we are sailing on the Pacific mysteries cruise Papeete to Lima this april. I was wondering if anyone could answer 2 questions for me.

How late do the tenders run (and how early the next morning) when you are overnighted in a tender port? ie: Bora Bora and Easter Island.

Does anyone have any first hand info on Atlas air? I've read an old thread but there wasn't very much information. Specifically, where do we go once we get to LAX? Is there an Oceania rep there to guide people? I assume I will have to collect our bags (we are travelling in from Toronto) and then head to which terminal? Food or entertainment onboard the flight? When we did our air deviation the Oceania rep picked our seats and told us it was a 3-4-3 configuration but it would be nice to know which plane it is comparable to on seat guru to know if our seats are any good. Do we have to check in for this flight in advance like normal commercial flight?

Thanks for any help.

How late do the tenders run (and how early the next morning) when you are overnighted in a tender port? ie: Bora Bora and Easter Island.

The general rule is that the Tenders will run up until 1AM and will start again at 6AM, but this is one of those areas where the Captain has a great deal of discretion.

Always check your copy of Currents!

There is one group finishing (or finished) a South Pacific Cruise and another group sailing now. Hopefully they will answer the questions too as I have the same questions you do as we are on the April South Pacific sailing.

The general rule is that the Tenders will run up until 1AM and will start again at 6AM, but this is one of those areas where the Captain has a great deal of discretion.

]

Except when the local regulations trump the captain :)

Such was definitely the case on Easter Island where the tenders stopped at 9PM.

IIRC, that was also the case on Bora Bora.

I don't remember when they restarted in the AM.

There is one group finishing (or finished) a South Pacific Cruise and another group sailing now. Hopefully they will answer the questions too as I have the same questions you do as we are on the April South Pacific sailing.

I was kind of hoping the same thing.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Hi we are sailing on the Pacific mysteries cruise Papeete to Lima this april. I was wondering if anyone could answer 2 questions for me.

Does anyone have any first hand info on Atlas air? I've read an old thread but there wasn't very much information. Specifically, where do we go once we get to LAX? Is there an Oceania rep there to guide people? I assume I will have to collect our bags (we are travelling in from Toronto) and then head to which terminal? Food or entertainment onboard the flight? When we did our air deviation the Oceania rep picked our seats and told us it was a 3-4-3 configuration but it would be nice to know which plane it is comparable to on seat guru to know if our seats are any good. Do we have to check in for this flight in advance like normal commercial flight?

Thanks for any help.

Just back from the Rio - Papeete Grand Voyage on the Marina.

I was on Air Tahiti Nui so can't answer about Atlas.

At LAX there were several Oceania reps - at the terminal where we arrived and at the terminal we had to go to. Identified by their O clipboard!

Tenders - as Paulchili says, at Easter Island, we could not tender after dark. Local regulations. We actually had a local pilot on each tender, I am told.

Just checked Currents for Bora Bora (overnight port) and it says "last tender 9:00 pm. Tender Service will resume at 8:00 a.m."

You may also be interested in knowing that closer to departure date, the cruise line offered a variety of options - staying onboard in Papeete until later in the afternoon (but not in your stateroom), etc. We had already opted for a day room at the Meridien resort with transfers. Compared to the cost of just transfers from O, it seemed a good price. We were transferred around 9:30 a.m. and were picked up at 6:30 p.m. for our 9:30 p.m. flight. We had a room - used the shower a couple of times! Towel chit. Had a meal and later a beer in the hotel. Walked 10 minutes to the Museum of Tahiti (with route info from the hotel) to see the Cook exhibit. Note: they don't take credit cards at the museum or US dollars. We exchanged a small amount of USD with the hotel (rate not the best but okay).

We were flying LAX to Toronto too. We opted to pay for air deviation and had booked a direct flight. Our flight out of Papeete was moved slightly earlier (from 10pm to 9:30pm) and we got into LAX and through all the border shenanigans more quickly. We paid a small fee ($75 each) to go home on an earlier (also direct) flight. They kindly moved our bag and retagged it, since our luggage had been ticketed straight through to Toronto. You do have to take your luggage through customs and then drop it off before you leave the terminal.

Last - I believe that the Atlas flight was moved later than originally scheduled. It is a small airport and they had to spread them all out a bit more. We used the TripCase app but the way we found out about our schedule change was an Oceania rep sign in the hotel lobby.

Just back from the Rio - Papeete Grand Voyage on the Marina.

I was on Air Tahiti Nui so can't answer about Atlas.

At LAX there were several Oceania reps - at the terminal where we arrived and at the terminal we had to go to. Identified by their O clipboard!

Tenders - as Paulchili says, at Easter Island, we could not tender after dark. Local regulations. We actually had a local pilot on each tender, I am told.

Just checked Currents for Bora Bora (overnight port) and it says "last tender 9:00 pm. Tender Service will resume at 8:00 a.m."

You may also be interested in knowing that closer to departure date, the cruise line offered a variety of options - staying onboard in Papeete until later in the afternoon (but not in your stateroom), etc. We had already opted for a day room at the Meridien resort with transfers. Compared to the cost of just transfers from O, it seemed a good price. We were transferred around 9:30 a.m. and were picked up at 6:30 p.m. for our 9:30 p.m. flight. We had a room - used the shower a couple of times! Towel chit. Had a meal and later a beer in the hotel. Walked 10 minutes to the Museum of Tahiti (with route info from the hotel) to see the Cook exhibit. Note: they don't take credit cards at the museum or US dollars. We exchanged a small amount of USD with the hotel (rate not the best but okay).

We were flying LAX to Toronto too. We opted to pay for air deviation and had booked a direct flight. Our flight out of Papeete was moved slightly earlier (from 10pm to 9:30pm) and we got into LAX and through all the border shenanigans more quickly. We paid a small fee ($75 each) to go home on an earlier (also direct) flight. They kindly moved our bag and retagged it, since our luggage had been ticketed straight through to Toronto. You do have to take your luggage through customs and then drop it off before you leave the terminal.

Last - I believe that the Atlas flight was moved later than originally scheduled. It is a small airport and they had to spread them all out a bit more. We used the TripCase app but the way we found out about our schedule change was an Oceania rep sign in the hotel lobby.

We also did the deviation as we are staying an extra 3 days in Lima so we can see Machu Picchu. We paid $100 each for a non stop flight from Toronto to LAX and another $100 extra for a non stop flight from Lima to Toronto :). Money well spent I think.

I can't imagine that Easter Island would have much going on after dark either.

Except for their wonderful but expensive cultural shows in some of the hotels. I believe some people on our cruise stayed overnight on the island for this reason.

Thanks for any help.

There is a new review posted for Marina in the members review board.

Lots of info on the cruise out of Papeete as well as comments on Atlas Air.

There is a new review posted for Marina in the members review board.

Lots of info on the cruise out of Papeete as well as comments on Atlas Air.

I read the review and one niggle - the review talks about the day hotel at the Radisson. That was not a day hotel, just a free option, available if you took a transfer, I believe. There were four or so genuine "day room" hotels available on our cruise ending in Papeete on Jan 16, 2013. We used the Meredien. We had a room for the day, complete with private shower! It was a little pricey but the price included transfers from the ship (around 9:30 a.m.) to the hotel and to the airport (around 6:30 p.m. for our 9:30 p.m. Air Tahiti Nui flight. We found staff at the hotel friendly and helpful.

I found the review to be very informative. I just had one question, when some people are arriving between 11pm and midnight due to the late flight, when do you do the muster drill?

On the second half of our B2B, people were late arriving in Valparaiso. The ship was in port for three days - some disembarking on day 2 and some embarking on day 2. There were some arriving late due to weather and airline problems - they arrived on day 3, missing almost 2 days of their trip - and all of their Valparaiso time. The muster drill was going to be in the late afternoon of day 3, when everyone was supposed to be on board (those doing B2B and those embarking). However muster drill was delayed for about 3/4 of an hour due to these late arrivals. The ship departed late, after the muster drill, if I recall correctly.

Info on Atlas Air in the review pretty scary. Hopefully Oceania after all the complaints might have done something to make it a little better. Also hopefully we'll hear from the sailing that is happening right now to get updated information. Thanks for the info on the day room at the Meridian as that is where we will be going. Did you have to pick up your luggage in LA and then re-check to Papeete.

Thanks for all the input on the previous cruise. Sure helps us a lot.

Info on Atlas Air in the review pretty scary. Hopefully Oceania after all the complaints might have done something to make it a little better. Also hopefully we'll hear from the sailing that is happening right now to get updated information. Thanks for the info on the day room at the Meridian as that is where we will be going. Did you have to pick up your luggage in LA and then re-check to Papeete.

Thanks for all the input on the previous cruise. Sure helps us a lot.

Yes, we did have to pick up our luggage in LAX. Walk it through customs and then deposit it for the connecting flight. We were Air Tahiti Nui and Air Canada. They checked our luggage through to Toronto in Papeete. At LAX we saw several Oceania reps. They suggested if we were up for a short walk to our terminal, that was the easiest way. It was!

Tansy again thank you so much for your answers. We will await returnees from the present cruise to see if they have any additional information on Atlas.

One more question. As most of the Tahiti ports are tender ports and Oceania usually gives preference to their tours - were you able to get your tender tickets early enough to get off if you had independent tours. I've booked all independent tours.

Tansy again thank you so much for your answers. We will await returnees from the present cruise to see if they have any additional information on Atlas.

One more question. As most of the Tahiti ports are tender ports and Oceania usually gives preference to their tours - were you able to get your tender tickets early enough to get off if you had independent tours. I've booked all independent tours.

If you get to the lounge very early, sometimes you can disembark before the tours. Otherwise they often mix tour groups with some independents.

The key is to be there early (and have your entire group ready to disembark).

If you get to the lounge very early, sometimes you can disembark before the tours. Otherwise they often mix tour groups with some independents.

The key is to be there early (and have your entire group ready to disembark).

Paulchili is correct. Be sure to have a place to meet in Marina lounge and have everyone there in good time. There were two lineups - one to exchange tour tickets for ship's tours and one to get tender tickets for independent travelers. If you are all there, they will give one of you the right number of tender tickets to distribute to your group. I was pleased that they did mix up the ship's tour groups with the independent travelers. It may be helpful to look at the time of the ship's tours so you know when they are going.

Paul, say hi to Marsha for me.

Have another question......seems endless doesn't it :)

I will try and get Pacific french francs ahead of time and/or make use of ATM's if they are available; but does the ship carry the francs just in case.

Again, thanks for all the answers to my many questions. I appreciate it.

Archived