Double Book Suite

gunn1t

Quick question-

Traveling with wife and kid in a family villa and my mom wants to come. We are in a suite currently. Can we book my mom into our suite (there is space) so that she gets suite perks (haven, cagneys ) and also book her as a solo in an inside cabin so that she is not sleeping in our actual room?

Anyone ever try this?

TIA for any insight.

Quick question-

Traveling with wife and kid in a family villa and my mom wants to come. We are in a suite currently. Can we book my mom into our suite (there is space) so that she gets suite perks (haven, cagneys ) and also book her as a solo in an inside cabin so that she is not sleeping in our actual room?

I don't think they will, because they need passport/passenger information for every passenger aboard the ship. Double booking would seriously mess with the passenger count and security features, I would think. For one thing, it would confuse the baggage system badly.

You can certainly call and check with NCL, but I'd expect to have them turn you down on that one.

DML

Quick question-

Anyone ever try this?

TIA for any insight.

No, you can't. Sorry.

I asked our cruise lady if we booked a family suite with the adjoining mini-suite (one has benefits and one doesn't) if the mini-suite would get the perks. She said not officially, but that once on board we could talk to them and my mom and daughter would be extended the opportunity to eat at Cagneys for breakfast/lunch and could be included in our ressies... but just wouldn't get the butler/concierge... I'm considering it... because that is really the only perk that I would worry they are excluded from. I'm not looking at the Haven area, so I don't know about that.

I asked our cruise lady if we booked a family suite with the adjoining mini-suite (one has benefits and one doesn't) if the mini-suite would get the perks. She said not officially, but that once on board we could talk to them and my mom and daughter would be extended the opportunity to eat at Cagneys for breakfast/lunch and could be included in our ressies... but just wouldn't get the butler/concierge... I'm considering it... because that is really the only perk that I would worry they are excluded from. I'm not looking at the Haven area, so I don't know about that.

I would NOT count on what your "cruise lady" told you. It might happen but it might not. Mostly, it depends on how many people on your sailing are booked in the suites, which leads to how many people are expected to take advantage of the Cagney's perk. If that number exceeds a certain number, they are far less likely to extend the Cagney's perk to anybody who doesn't actually qualify.

The only way to guarantee the perk for your entire party is to book everybody in a suite (or suites).

Edited by johnql

For one thing, it would confuse the baggage system badly.

There is no baggage system to confuse, the checked luggage is not recorded in anyway at any point. That's why the occasional misplaced luggage is searched with flyers, announcements, etc. onboard.

There is no baggage system to confuse, the checked luggage is not recorded in anyway at any point. That's why the occasional misplaced luggage is searched with flyers, announcements, etc. onboard.

The NCL luggage tags I've seen look as if they are scannable. Are they not?

DML

The NCL luggage tags I've seen look as if they are scannable. Are they not?

No. All the customer printed tags for one cabin are the same and don't include any machine readable codes besides text (as you have the one page to print as many times you want) so there would be no way to distinct a piece of luggage from another by the tag.

Also for all the bags that don't have the tag already in place when arriving to the port, the porters will attach one with just hand written cabin number.

Sounds like a great idea. Let's overload Cagney's with people who did not pay for the perk. I bet it will make those that did pay real happy....

Sounds like a great idea. Let's overload Cagney's with people who did not pay for the perk. I bet it will make those that did pay real happy....

I agree. :rolleyes: However I have never seen the problem with family members that cruise in a mini suite connected to a 2 bedroom suite IF the 2 bedroom suite has otherwise max 4 people in it. As I see it:

1. booking all 6 into the 2 bedroom suite --> would mean 6 people at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch

2. booking 4 people into the 2 bedroom suite and 2 people into the connecting mini suite --> would mean 6 people at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch if NCL would extend the Cagney's privilege for the connecting mini suite pax also

Option 1 is cheaper for the family (as you pay only the extra person fare for pax 5-6 in the suite which is usually max $499/pp and usually lower) but provides not much space. Option 2 is more expensive but provides more space.

For me personally it wouldn't matter one bit if a family (even extended one including grandparents) would choose option 2 and gain access to Cagney's. I know many think the opposite but this is my view. :D

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

I asked our cruise lady if we booked a family suite with the adjoining mini-suite (one has benefits and one doesn't) if the mini-suite would get the perks. She said not officially, but that once on board we could talk to them and my mom and daughter would be extended the opportunity to eat at Cagneys for breakfast/lunch and could be included in our ressies... but just wouldn't get the butler/concierge... I'm considering it... because that is really the only perk that I would worry they are excluded from. I'm not looking at the Haven area, so I don't know about that.[/quote}

Your cruise lady is making quite an assumption.

Your mother and sister are only paying for a mini-suite. There are no perks with a mini. Are there no penthouses available to upgrade them to?

Just got back from Europe and tried the same. Mom and sister were in the attached mini suite to our penthouse. I thought since my mother was 85 years old NCL would allow her to join us in Cagneys. One time only is what we were told.

That was generous they let her join you once.

I have always wondered why they have connecting rooms to the suites if they aren't going to let them be part of the suite. I always presumed that if one was booking, oh let's say Donna's favorite aft suite on Sun and she happened to want to take along her potential new friend, Clay but didn't want him sleeping in her living room ( wouldn't be fitting to kick her Mom out you know), that she could request the balcony next door to be made part of the suite...eh, voila, a two bedroom suite. Of course I presumed that if that was done that the cost of the now 2 bedroom suite would be greater than the cost of the 1 bedroom suite + the cost of the standard stern facing balcony- so as to cover the suite perks. Seems to me NCL is missing an opportunity to make some extra money while satisfying what appears to be a regular issue on this board.

Edited by Clay Clayton

I think some posters don't see the logic in the OPs post, which proposed to add a guest to a Suite AND pay for the guest to sleep somewhere else. Why shouldn't they recieve all benefits? Perhaps the computers/luggage can't handle it, but by the logic of money, NCL and other perked customers are in no way being ripped off by a non-paying person from a non suite part of the ship.

I agree Burpelson. And it wouldn't even cost that much to the op as the price for an extra pax in the suite isn't high. Still NCL would benefit as they would receive payment for both the extra pax in the suite as well as payment for the other cabin.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

I have always wondered why they have connecting rooms to the suites if they aren't going to let them be part of the suite.

Totally feel the same.

The only logic I can see is that NCL makes more money off the onboard spending than the cruise fare. So booking two people into the connecting room gives a higher cruise fare, but booking them into the suite and getting two other people into the connecting room has the potential for bringing in more profit due to more people onboard = more onboard spending.

I think some posters don't see the logic in the OPs post, which proposed to add a guest to a Suite AND pay for the guest to sleep somewhere else. Why shouldn't they recieve all benefits? Perhaps the computers/luggage can't handle it, but by the logic of money, NCL and other perked customers are in no way being ripped off by a non-paying person from a non suite part of the ship.

I agree! My mom usually cruises with us. I would gladly pay for her to be in our Haven suite and get her an inside cabin. She likes to nap during the day and it would be nice for her to have a cabin to go to besides the noisy Haven suite ( where we are coming in and out of). She is also an early riser and she has to be quiet not to wake up my kids. NCL would benefit by double paying and a Haven suite holds 6 so why would it bother anyone when they double booked.

I think NCL has to allow it on paper and then it can be done. Unfortunately they don't. I have tried also.

I have always wondered why they have connecting rooms to the suites if they aren't going to let them be part of the suite. I always presumed that if one was booking, oh let's say Donna's favorite aft suite on Sun and she happened to want to take along her potential new friend, Clay but didn't want him sleeping in her living room ( wouldn't be fitting to kick her Mom out you know), that she could request the balcony next door to be made part of the suite...eh, voila, a two bedroom suite. Of course I presumed that if that was done that the cost of the now 2 bedroom suite would be greater than the cost of the 1 bedroom suite + the cost of the standard stern facing balcony- so as to cover the suite perks. Seems to me NCL is missing an opportunity to make some extra money while satisfying what appears to be a regular issue on this board.

Clay Clayton you totally crack me up!!! One of these days we just must be on the same cruise!

Well you can always do what the same as a women on a US flight did these week. She had paid for an "extra legroom seat" and caused a huge scene because someone was moved to an extra legroom seat for free once on board because us TV monitor wa not working. The plane was diverted and she was arrested on landing lol!!!

Seriously why woud anyone want to pay twice, because that's what you Wed have to do when booking the same person in 2 cabins!!

I agree. :rolleyes: However I have never seen the problem with family members that cruise in a mini suite connected to a 2 bedroom suite IF the 2 bedroom suite has otherwise max 4 people in it. As I see it:

1. booking all 6 into the 2 bedroom suite --> would mean 6 people at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch

2. booking 4 people into the 2 bedroom suite and 2 people into the connecting mini suite --> would mean 6 people at Cagney's for breakfast and lunch if NCL would extend the Cagney's privilege for the connecting mini suite pax also

Option 1 is cheaper for the family (as you pay only the extra person fare for pax 5-6 in the suite which is usually max $499/pp and usually lower) but provides not much space. Option 2 is more expensive but provides more space.

For me personally it wouldn't matter one bit if a family (even extended one including grandparents) would choose option 2 and gain access to Cagney's. I know many think the opposite but this is my view. :D

We have used option 2 five times now and never a problem no matter how u cut it.It still is 6 people in cagneys and ncl has more $$$ and we have more room.

We have used option 2 five times now and never a problem no matter how u cut it.It still is 6 people in cagneys and ncl has more $$$ and we have more room.

You miss the math since NCL is only making on board money from one person they are giving up what they could have earned from the others that could have occupied in that room. NCL's goal is to sell out the ship.

Would your mom pay double DSC too?

This is perhaps one reason they don't do it. You have to look at the big pucture.