Pettifogger puts his money where his mouth is about Grand Voyages

Pettifogger

I've been on two Grand Voyages, one on the Amsterdam and one on the Prinsendam and my experience was that the ships were better, the hotel officers were better, the stewards were better and my fellow passengers were better than on other HAL cruises; premium plus as compared to premium. I'm surprised that HAL doesn't emphasize the Grand Voyages more in their brochures and pamphlets; for example, by splitting them out more into separate pamphlets. (I almost remember that they did that once.)

I realize that it's hard to promote something just by saying it's subjectively better, instead of being able to say it has this or that specific amenity, but maybe they could dig up some kind of statistic like 25% more passengers rebook or passengers historically have been willing to pay 15% more for Grand Voyages..

It may be that HAL thinks emphasizing the joys of the Grand Voyage experience would de-emphasize their regular cruises, but I'd guess that passengers who want short cruises with lots of activities on big ships and those who want longer cruises on smaller ships even with less activities are different enough to not take much notice of each other's cruises.

It seems to me a promising way to extract the maximum value from the older ships by more or less dedicating them to older passengers who might be able to pay somewhat more for the small ship experience. I know I recently booked a segment of a Grand Voyage at considerably greater expense than another very attractive cruise.

I have found the same thing on the longer cruises as well - I don't know if they are part of Grand Voyages or not (I don't look most often). they probably are. I honestly find we get good value on the longer ones - everything is stepped up a bit -yes they are pricier but the experience is not the same IMO (and for the better):D enjoy your cruise:)

We just got off a Grand Voyage in December ... we've also had a long "Collector's" voyage, and many other cruises ... and I've got to say that just about everything on the Grand Voyage was a cut above the others ... the service, the crew, the flowers, the food, all of the little extra "touches" You can build real relationships with crew members; I'm not talking about personal stuff, although that's part of it for some folks, but about all the little touches they offer to make the voyage special.

I've told Mr Chew that we will have several more Grand Voyages in our future! We have two short cruises coming up this month, and while I'm sure they'll both be fabulous, they just won't match the overall experience.

We have been on two Grand Voyages on the Amsterdam and Prinsendam and a segment of a World Cruise on the Amsterdam. I would like very much to do the Asia/Australia/Polynesia again as that was excellent. I noticed that this year it is called "Grand Pacific & Far East Voyage" and does not include Australia. As to "separate brochures" for the Grand Voyages, we get one every year sent to us.

We have enjoyed one full grand voyage and two half grand voyage segments. I second what the previous posters have said -- from the small jars of jams and condiments used in the dining room, the munus and the staff, service, lectures, parties and pillow gifts -- all a cut above the norm.

The 2014 Grand World voyage has been posted, as has the Grand Med for 2014 -- both posted for many months. The Grand Med in 2014 will end in Europe rather than returning to the US as is the norm -- and as yet HAL has posted no fall 2014 Asia/Australia/Pacific itinerary.

Is HAL trying to distance itself from one of the last things at they do that make them unique, the Grand Voyage? What a loss to all of us that would be.

We have enjoyed one full grand voyage and two half grand voyage segments. I second what the previous posters have said -- from the small jars of jams and condiments used in the dining room, the munus and the staff, service, lectures, parties and pillow gifts -- all a cut above the norm.

The 2014 Grand World voyage has been posted, as has the Grand Med for 2014 -- both posted for many months. The Grand Med in 2014 will end in Europe rather than returning to the US as is the norm -- and as yet HAL has posted no fall 2014 Asia/Australia/Pacific itinerary.

Is HAL trying to distance itself from one of the last things at they do that make them unique, the Grand Voyage? What a loss to all of us that would be.

One has to think, if the Grand Voyages make money, they will continue. If they do not,,,,,,, who knows?

We have been on all the Grand Voyages. We are booked on the WC for

2014, and have 38 days to go to get on the Prin for the Med. Grand. We

took this one because it seems to be the last to come back to the U.S.

These trips are outstanding, and if they were to go away.......Yikes.:eek:

Archived