Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Check out the cruise compasses towards the end of the week. On our sailing they had a 'Coach sale' for 2-3 hours one day that was very well-attended. Lots of past season items and discontinued colors at 30-50% off.

And how did I miss that??! I'm going to have to look through my Cruise Compasses to see when it was...just another reason to have to go back on another cruise. ;)

Hi Amy,

Did you buy any bling?? The islands have some pretty good prices!:)

I'm not Amy...but I know that she did, indeed, buy some bling...but I'll let her tell you what she got! ;)

I stayed away from the jewelry stores of St. Thomas...for a blingaholic like me, they were like bars to an alcoholic! (Although I did end up buying a Tanzanite necklace onboard the ship - my resistance was futile).

The Alaskan dates open up in March - there's a whole group from the Serenade sailing this summer that wants to do the reunion to Alaska in 2014 - so let me know when you think you all are going...and we'll book then, too. I haven't done ANY research yet at this point - I'm lucky to be planning for THIS summer!

Finishing up our tour of Deck 8:

Dazzles

DazzlesSign_zps9502c875.jpg

Towards the back of the ship on Deck 8, there is a music & dancing venue called “Dazzles.” It offered a wide variety of music during our cruise, including Country & Western, Big Band, Rock 'n Roll, Orchestra, as well as Motown. There were also some musical-related trivia contests held there, as well as the Majority Rules Game show. These will all be listed in your daily Cruise Compass.

Dazzles_zps58488988.jpg

A view from the stage/dance floor looking out to the seating....

-----

Moving down to Deck 7…the only public area on Deck 7 is one that is found waaaaaaaaay back at the back of the ship – the famous Rock Climbing Wall. However, in the case of the Allure, there are TWIN Rock Climbing Walls – one on either side of the ship.

RockWall3-1_zps1166eee0.jpg

So…climbing the wall is free…but you MUST be age 6 or over, and wearing socks and dry clothes. On sea days, the schedule would something like this:

Beginners Session 9:00 – 10:00 am

Open Climbing 10:00 am – Noon

Bouldering Session 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm

Open Climbing 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm

For days that the ship is in port, it would most often be closed during the day, but would open up for Open Climbing from 4:00 – 7:00 pm. Periodically, there would be Climbing Under the Stars, from 10-11:00 pm in the evenings….

RockWallfromDeck6_zps73d57598.jpg

A view of the wall from the Boardwalk, on Deck 6...

If you've never climbed before, you might want to attend the "Introduction to Rock Climbing" class on Day 1 from 1:00 - 2:00 pm. On Day 2, there was a Kids Learn to Climb class at 5:00 pm.

I did not do this on this particular cruise (can I blame my broken foot?!), but I did climb the wall a few years ago on the Brilliance of the Seas. It does take some work, but the payout is incredible – when you finally reach the top and ring the bell! From what I could observe, the lines to climb were never really long…and they moved quickly.

RockWall2_zpscf044d5b.jpg

The "secret" balconies on Decks 11, 12 and 14 will offer incredible views of the climbers coming up the wall....

That finishes up Deck 7...so, we're now moving on to Deck 6...the Spa, the Boardwalk and the Aqua Theater...some of my other favorite places onboard!

Edited by KansCocoa

What a great review. I was on the Allure in Jan/ (see my review Allure 1-6=13 with pics) and just booked the Valentines Allure 3 night cruise. I am getting so much more information by reading your review. We have a deck 11 aft cabin and I am looking forward to finding that "secret balcony". We ate in Chops (2x), Giovanni’s (dinner and lunch) and Samba Grill. I hope to read your reviews before 2/14. No pressure..

Sherri, here is my question regarding the rock walls:

Younger DS is a wall fiend. He loves it. We spend most of our time on Freedom at the rock wall (well, he climbs, I stand there and talk with the staff...it's a great way to make friends). He does it so often, that by the end of the trip, they have him up the wall, belt on, with the repair tool, tightening all of the loose hand/foot holds on the wall. Seriously. It's too funny.

Anyway, I had heard from some of the staff on Freedom that on Oasis/Allure, they don't stand at the bottom and belay you up, that there is an auto mechanism that does it to eliminate human error (which appears to be hanging above the person in your picture in the last post).

Where is the staff? If you remember from your previous time on the wall, they are usually at the bottom, belaying you up, yelling instructions or encouragement. Is anyone at the bottom of the wall or only someone that attaches you to the harness and that's it? I'd love to be able to give DS the 411 on these giant walls.

I'm sure when we go, he will make it up to the top like he has before. That kid does not give up (and he has done the bouldering competition...all 4'6" and 69 lbs of him).

What a great review. I was on the Allure in Jan/ (see my review Allure 1-6=13 with pics) and just booked the Valentines Allure 3 night cruise. I am getting so much more information by reading your review. We have a deck 11 aft cabin and I am looking forward to finding that "secret balcony". We ate in Chops (2x), Giovanni’s (dinner and lunch) and Samba Grill. I hope to read your reviews before 2/14. No pressure..

Hey - I'm glad to help! You will LOVE the "secret" balcony on Deck 11! And I am really hoping to get as much posted as soon as possible - but I also want to make sure its worth your while to read... EPIC WRITERS writing EPIC reviews need time. Hee hee.

Sherri, here is my question regarding the rock walls:

I had heard from some of the staff on Freedom that on Oasis/Allure, they don't stand at the bottom and belay you up, that there is an auto mechanism that does it to eliminate human error.

Where is the staff? Is anyone at the bottom of the wall or only someone that attaches you to the harness and that's it?

Good question!

You are correct in that there is no "human" at the bottom, belaying you up...it is completely done now by the auto mechanism. That threw me - as the staff on the Brilliance had...ahem..."helped" me a bit on my own climb up by hoisting me when I got stuck, so to speak. That doesn't happen on the Allure. You don't get any assistance or a free "hoist" by a staff person at the bottom. However, there are staff at the bottom that get you into the equipment & harness, obviously. I don't know if they shout encouragement, like they did to me on the Brilliance, since I didn't climb on the Allure. I hope, perhaps, another reader can chime in with how much assistance/encouragement/etc you will get...but it sounds as if your son doesn't need any assistance! :)

Edited by KansCocoa

Sherri,

I noticed that you were in the same cabin my wife and I stayed in on our Allure cruise in December. I hope you enjoyed the peace and quiet of that part of the ship, when you wanted to sleep at night, as much as we did. Plus having a great room steward didn't hurt either.

Deck 6 has tons of public areas…beginning with the Spa & Gym at the front of the ship, moving to the Diamond Club, Schooner Bar, Loyalty Desk, Photo area in the center, then on towards the Boardwalk at the back, and the Aqua Theater at the VERY back of the ship. Whew. As I enjoyed all of these venues, I traversed the length of Deck 6 quite a bit during my week-long cruise, much to my broken foot’s chagrin.

We’ll begin our tour at the very front of the ship, where we find the Spa, as well as the gym. We’ll begin with The Fitness Center.

Gym1_zps54b7411b.jpg

The gym has all the latest equipment needed for anyone’s workout – ellipticals, Stairmasters, treadmills, free weights and bicycles.

Gym2_zps0ff34bef.jpg

The Spinning Class...very popular...and very LOUD....

My biggest complaint with the gym is the lack of light. Oh - it has port holes - but after being spoiled on the Radiance-class ship gyms, with the giant SWEEPING views of the ocean while plodding along on a treadmill, the Allure's little portholes are puny and tiny in comparison. I wished I'd taken a photo, but alas, I didn't.

Gym4_zps0dee3785.jpg

Some of the free weights onboard....

Besides the equipment, there are a wide variety of classes that you can take – some free, some with a charge:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-35_zps6abac535.jpg

To sign up for these classes (the ones that charge, anyway), there will be a sing-up table located in the gym. Just find the clipboard for your particular class, and sign the sheet:

ClassSignUpSheets_zps72e218b7.jpg

If you read my review of the Freedom of the Seas, where I attempted the Boot Camp class - and it basically kicked my A$$, you'll understand why I chuckled when I saw this sign on the Allure:

BootCamp_zpse3c34f99.jpg

Um...no, thanks. Even without a broken foot, I was a Boot Camp DropOut.

The gym is actually where I had my one - and only, thank goodness - encounter with a somewhat rude and dismissive staff member....but that story will be told when I do the day-to-day stuff. Let's just say that I was not very happy with the attitude and rudeness that I encountered, and it was somewhat surprising, as I had never encountered this before on any RCI cruises before. All I'll say right now, is, pay particular attention to that schedule I posted above...for Tuesday...where it says Stretch Class is 7:30 a.m. THAT is behind the encounter that I had....

The gym would usually be open from 6:00 am until 1:00 am.

Edited by KansCocoa

Sherri,

I noticed that you were in the same cabin my wife and I stayed in on our Allure cruise in December. I hope you enjoyed the peace and quiet of that part of the ship, when you wanted to sleep at night, as much as we did. Plus having a great room steward didn't hurt either.

You were in 10131??!!

I did INDEED enjoy the peace and quiet...It was extremely peaceful - no hallway noise, no music, no disco thumping...I called it my "womb and a tomb" room because of the darkness and serenity!

I had Norman Smith as a room steward - did you have him? I loved him! :)

The Vitality Fitness Center/Spa (cont)

There are a TON of “free” seminars that are offered throughout the week on the Allure…and they have a dedicated classroom for such seminars:

Seminars_zps46924e32.jpg

Here are just a few of the seminars that were offered the week I sailed:

Cellulite and Spider Vein Solutions

Secrets to a Flatter Stomach

How to Look 10 Years Younger

Free Footprint Analysis

Walking in Comfort and Relieving Back Pain

No More Bad Hair Days

Look 10 Years Younger with Restylane & Dysport

How Acupuncture Can Relieve Back & Knee Pain

Detox for Health & Weight Loss

Get a Brighter Whiter Smile

Relieve Back Pain with Better Body Alignment & Posture

Non-surgical Facelift w/ Dermal Fillers, Restylane & Dysport

How to Increase Your Metabolism

Arthritis Solutions

How to get Thicker, Fuller Hair

And so on…and so on…and so on…ad nauseam....

Here’s a HUGE tip for anyone who’s never sailed before on RCI:

The seminars are most definitely free. However – I can pretty much guarantee you that EVERY one of these “free” seminars is a pitch to sell you something.

If you don’t mind the sales pitch – and are good at saying “no” when needed – or don’t want to say no and don’t mind shelling out major $$$ for whatever it is they’re selling you (shoe lifts, vitamins, creams, lotions, fillers, etc) - then go, enjoy….but just be forewarned.

Across from this little seating area was the Vitality Cafe...

VitalityCafe_zps667effb3.jpg

The Vitality Cafe was originally conceived as a bar...so that if one partner is working out by lifting weights in the gym, the other partner can be working out by lifting drinks in the bar, each waiting for the other to finish. However, the idea was changed into a healthy eating venue - featuring such items as smoothies and banana breads and wraps. Note that this is NOT a free venue... and it was NEVER crowded when I went through there.

The Vitality Cafe was originally conceived as a bar...so that if one partner is working out by lifting weights in the gym, the other partner can be working out by lifting drinks in the bar, each waiting for the other to finish. However, the idea was changed into a healthy eating venue - featuring such items as smoothies and banana breads and wraps. Note that this is NOT a free venue... and it was NEVER crowded when I went through there.

Just wondering about the fees in the Vitality Cafe. When we were on Allure back in 2011, some items were free and some were extra cost. I believe the wraps were free and smoothies were extra cost. Curious if this has changed. Did you notice anything that was free at the Vitality Cafe?

Great review, pardon me for interrupting

. . .

My biggest complaint with the gym is the lack of light. Oh - it has port holes - but after being spoiled on the Radiance-class ship gyms,

They Freedom class is similar. Looks like you are running [or slogging for my peers] in the same direction as the ship. Just when they get something right, they change it. I really liked that feature on Radiance class and Independence.

On other threads, some have asked if RCI ships have kettlebells. Well, here is your answer [for Allure at least]. Looks like folks at sea are as good at putting their weights back on the proper rack as they are in my gym.

Gym4_zps0dee3785.jpg

No...only because I never approached the counter...I would get my free healthy food at the Solarium, so I don't know the answer to this... sorry! :(

No problem, just curious, enjoying the review.:)

And now…the Vitality Spa.

The Spa…ahhhhh…..

Spa_zpsaa6c5b17.jpg

I loved the spa. I love any spas, for that matter. And I used this spa extensively…not just for treatments (of which I had two – reviews & information to follow), but I also used the Thermal Suite and the Relaxation Room.

The Vitality Spa is huge, with solo and couples massage rooms, a youth spa, a thermal room, acupuncture, a mud lounge, and a thermal suite with a rain forest shower and steam chambers.

Here is a menu of the offerings, as well as the prices (that are always subject to change):

AllureSpaInfoPage4-37_zps5b614f71.jpg

-------------------------------

As you can see, it can get pricey…on port days, they would often offer a special, that would look like this:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-33_zps117497a8.jpg

----------------

And GUYS, we don’t want YOU to feel left out, so here’s something for you:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-34_zps5ccf60c4.jpg

-------------------

On boarding day (Day 1), there’s a special going on, as well:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-38_zps6567ede7.jpg

-----------------

The Thermal Suite…which is actually located down a deck on Deck 5 – was relaxing…however, instead of large glass windows that overlook the ocean, they offer you a relaxing view of....doors…of the steam rooms. Bleh. I was disappointed in the Thermal Suite, having been spoiled on the Radiance class. However – I will say that it was a nice end to my day, relaxing on the heated chairs…it was normally empty (I would go every night from 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm).

AllureSpaInfoPage4-36_zpsd4b01a33.jpg

The Spa would open every day at 8:00 am and close at 10:00 pm.

Hi Amy,

Did you buy any bling?? The islands have some pretty good prices!:)

I got some diamond earrings on the ship, and gold earrings in St. Thomas, and one of those silver hook bracelets in St. John.

The real piece of "gioielli" on this trip was helping my mom find a diamond/ruby anniversary band for her 40th anniversary. We finally found a design she liked at Effy. I got to help her pick it out (but didn't have to pay for it) The thrill of the hunt was payment enough!

Relieve Back Pain with Better Body Alignment & Posture

Sorry to hear they are still doing this money grab crap. I also call it a scam. Its nothing but a sales pitch from a company making do-it-yourself custom orthotics. Some may argue that this over priced junk is not without some benefit, but they teach the RC personnel putting this one the same "BS product demo that I do consider a scam.

Just wondering about the fees in the Vitality Cafe. When we were on Allure back in 2011, some items were free and some were extra cost. I believe the wraps were free and smoothies were extra cost. Curious if this has changed. Did you notice anything that was free at the Vitality Cafe?

I was there a little before you and my wife and I did find several healthy things to snack on here that were free. I will make a point to check again on our upcoming cruise.

And now…the Vitality Spa.

The Spa…ahhhhh…..

Spa_zpsaa6c5b17.jpg

I loved the spa. I love any spas, for that matter. And I used this spa extensively…not just for treatments (of which I had two – reviews & information to follow), but I also used the Thermal Suite and the Relaxation Room.

The Vitality Spa is huge, with solo and couples massage rooms, a youth spa, a thermal room, acupuncture, a mud lounge, and a thermal suite with a rain forest shower and steam chambers.

Here is a menu of the offerings, as well as the prices (that are always subject to change):

AllureSpaInfoPage4-37_zps5b614f71.jpg

-------------------------------

As you can see, it can get pricey…on port days, they would often offer a special, that would look like this:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-33_zps117497a8.jpg

----------------

And GUYS, we don’t want YOU to feel left out, so here’s something for you:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-34_zps5ccf60c4.jpg

-------------------

On boarding day (Day 1), there’s a special going on, as well:

AllureSpaInfoPage4-38_zps6567ede7.jpg

-----------------

The Thermal Suite…which is actually located down a deck on Deck 5 – was relaxing…however, instead of large glass windows that overlook the ocean, they offer you a relaxing view of....doors…of the steam rooms. Bleh. I was disappointed in the Thermal Suite, having been spoiled on the Radiance class. However – I will say that it was a nice end to my day, relaxing on the heated chairs…it was normally empty (I would go every night from 9:00 pm – 10:00 pm).

AllureSpaInfoPage4-36_zpsd4b01a33.jpg

The Spa would open every day at 8:00 am and close at 10:00 pm.

You may have stumbled on a scoop here! We did the thermal suite package on Jewel on a 5 day cruise and they told us it was limited to 20 couples. (Maybe it was 25) and that worked out perfectly. I've read many reviews about this area being over crowded/booked on Allure. This photo above is the first time I've seen evidence of any them limiting that on Allure.

One of the reasons I'm reading your review, other than the sheer entertainment value and passing the days till my return, is to get ideas for my next review. We will have another onboard credit to give this a try and I'll report back.

Yay - a fellow Top Chef fan! This is a wedding anniversary present to each other for Dear Hubby and myself...I'll be sure to post a review - with lots of photos - afterwards.

Don't be surprised if 99% of my photos are of Fabio. ;)

My DH and I are Top Chef fans also - will definitely need to read your review of that cruise! I just found this one and I'm enjoying it for our upcoming Oasis cruise in May.

Note that the minimum age for ZipLining is 6 years old; you MUST have socks and pants/shorts on...and your clothing must be dry. There is a minimum of 75 lbs and a maximum of 275 lbs to ride. Your pockets MUST be empty - and no cameras, no watches, and no glasses.

ON TO DECK 15!!!

How many 6 year olds are 75lbs? My dd is 9 and does not weigh 75 pounds... so I guess this means she is not going to be able to do the Zip Line? She will be bummed...

How many 6 year olds are 75lbs? My dd is 9 and does not weigh 75 pounds... so I guess this means she is not going to be able to do the Zip Line? She will be bummed...

Yes, I hear they are pretty strict with this. We go on the Allure on March 31, and my DS (who is also 9) just hit 74 lbs, so I am sure he will be OK after another month (DS 7 won't make the weight, but he doesn't want to do the zip line). It is an excuse to book another cruise, if she doesn't make it! If your itinerary includes a place you can book a zip line, the shore excursion zip line companies are often less restrictive.

Edited by rstout