marking "do not upgrade" does not mean you will not be moved...found this out on Gran

vmom

We were recently on the Grand in January.

I had picked out an obstructed view window cabin on deck 8, the Emerald deck. I had used the site listed on this forum created by a very thoughtful cruise critic member to pick out a room with a good view even tho obstructed. Its the site that shows the pictures of the obstructed view cabins. The room was considered an obstructed view but still had a good view outside.

Anyway, when I booked the cabin, I had the travel agent mark any and every option that would ensure we would not be moved from my selected cabin. I doubled checked this on my cruise personalizer. My cruise personalizer continued to show my selected cabin.

Anyway, when i got to the port, I was told I was moved to a different cabin on deck 8 which was also an obstructed view and in the same category but on the other side of the ship and further forward. My first reaction was Oh No, I had picked out the cabin specifically for its location and view. At check in I talked to the person at the check in area and was told that my selected cabin had already been given to someone else so there was no way I could switch back.

I decided to wait and see how the view from the window was on my new cabin and it was acceptable, so I let it drop.

The reason I am posting this, is not to complain since the new cabin location was acceptable, but to let people know that even if you mark everything to indicate you do not want to be moved to a different cabin, it does not mean that you will not be given a different room.

I don't know what I would have done if the view was unacceptable since I had spent a lot of time picking out that specific cabin location and obstructed view. Luckily it worked out for me. I would not have been happy if the new cabin had had more obstruction than it did or was further forward.

Just wanting to let everyone else know since I didn't think it was likely that I would be moved at the last minute like i was when i had made the reservation as I had. Just don't want anyone else to be as surprised as I was.

Did you ask "why" they moved you as you had indicated not be moved at all? I would be asking what happened... not sure if you booked through Princess or a TA but I would have been ticked off about it. Some people pick a room based on certain situations and know for certain that they would never want to be moved. *sigh*

Mistakes can be made. Sometimes, it's the TA, sometimes Princess.

You are correct in that even if you have your cabin marked "No upgrade" and linked with other cabins, Princess can move you. Several years ago, I'd booked an Emerald deck mini-suite with my sister and BIL next door. Our cabins were marked "No upgrade" and were linked. Plus, I was a single in the cabin. Princess (or more likely a human overwriting the system) "upgraded" me to an AC mini-suite far forward on Dolphin deck. They couldn't have put me further from them if they'd tried. To me, that was NOT an upgrade. Fortunately, my TA was able to get everything fixed and me back to my original cabin.

I did ask and was told "I don't know" by the person at the port. I then asked a supervisor of the room stewards and was also told she did not know but it seems that I had been just moved that morning of the cruise. If fact I had requested a mattress topper and found out from my room steward that the mattress had been placed as i had requested on my original room and it was not till later after he had made up my room that I had been moved to a different cabin.

My previous room had nothing special about it so i don't know what the issue was for the move.

As we book specific cabins, I would have been peeved. What if you had booked more than one cabin, and the other one was your children that you wanted to be within shouting distance? Or if you had booked midships a year ahead of time and were placed in a far forward cabin?

I can understand that the porters or cabin stewards wouldn't know. The check in clerk should be able to check with his or her supervisor, I would think, and contact someone in Santa Clarita (usually they're open during normal boarding times even on weekends).

Perhaps someone needed a cabin available for four and you needed a cabin for two?

Both were cabins for 2, neither was handicapped or had anything special or unusual about them. i had booked two cabins, linked with the other cabin for my adult children down the hall from my first cabin, so all of that were not issues. The cabins were booked several months in advance with a lot of thought and planning.

As I said, I know many people think long and hard about their cabin choice and getting moved to a different cabin at the last minute would be quite a surprise.

What if you had booked more than one cabin, and the other one was your children that you wanted to be within shouting distance? Or if you had booked midships a year ahead of time and were placed in a far forward cabin?.
Something like the former may have been the reason. Perhaps a family booked two cabins but failed to get the age limits right and needed to switch. Whatever it was, it likely only happened that morning upon boarding as that is when they moved the OP.

The key point is that the cruise contract reserves the right to move you into any cabin if they need yours, regardless of how your booking is marked. It happens occasionally, although the Cruiseline tries very hard to follow your wishes.

This happened to us, last month, also on the Grand. The change was made on our cruise personalizer two days before we left, I did not notice it until someone from Princess called and offered us a free upgrade. She said we had to decide quickly. I was told we were offered the upgrade because we were loyal Princess cruisers - I think it was because there were so many b2b cruisers and it was more convenient if somebody was allowed to remain in the cabin we had originally picked. We took the upgrade without an argument because I was rehabbing with an injured leg and the extra space was nice to have.

It all so happened to us. We found out that the people who had our cabin the week before us were staying on the ship for our cruise and did not want to change cabins. Hence, we were moved.

how many people have done b2b and had to move cabins

This happened to us, last month, also on the Grand. The change was made on our cruise personalizer two days before we left, I did not notice it until someone from Princess called and offered us a free upgrade. She said we had to decide quickly. I was told we were offered the upgrade because we were loyal Princess cruisers - I think it was because there were so many b2b cruisers and it was more convenient if somebody was allowed to remain in the cabin we had originally picked. We took the upgrade without an argument because I was rehabbing with an injured leg and the extra space was nice to have.

Doubt if it had to do with being a loyal Princess cruiser. Many newbies to Princess have reported getting upgrades (we were given a moveover offer the day before our first Princess cruise, but we didn't take it) while others have said that they have never been given an upgrade.

It all so happened to us. We found out that the people who had our cabin the week before us were stayingon the ship for our cruise and did not want to change cabins. Hence, we were moved.

So anyone that is on a cruise can decide to stay on and bump the next passenger out of their cabin that they may have had booked for months? :rolleyes:

Sweet.

Doubt if it had to do with being a loyal Princess cruiser. Many newbies to Princess have reported getting upgrades (we were given a moveover offer the day before our first Princess cruise' date=' but we didn't take it) while others have said that they have never been given an upgrade.[/quote']

I didn't believe it for a minute - I knew something else was going on.

It all so happened to us. We found out that the people who had our cabin the week before us were stayingon the ship for our cruise and did not want to change cabins. Hence, we were moved.

how many people have done b2b and had to move cabins

We have had b2b cruises in seperate cabins and always had to more. We would receive a form letter on the first segment telling us that the same cabin was not available for the second segment.

One time after moving to the new cabin, we saw our old cabin steward and he asked us why we moved since the old cabin was vacant for the second segment.

There was a post on another thread a couple of weeks ago about someone else who was reassigned because the occupant of their booked cabin did not want to move. If I remember it correctly, that post indicated they received an upgrade with the move.

Archived