U.S. to Australia. Passport AND Visa needed?

We are flying into Sydney in 2 weeks for a cruise to NZ and just read something about Visas being required for entry into Australia. I was assuming that all we needed were our current passports. Can someone tell me whether or not Visas are needed in addition to passports?

We are flying into Sydney in 2 weeks for a cruise to NZ and just read something about Visas being required for entry into Australia. I was assuming that all we needed were our current passports. Can someone tell me whether or not Visas are needed in addition to passports?

Are you staying in Australia at all? Or are you just flying in and getting on another flight to head to NZ? If you are staying you will need a visa.... if you are only in transit you won't need a visa, but you won't be allowed out of the airport.

Are you staying in Australia at all? Or are you just flying in and getting on another flight to head to NZ? If you are staying you will need a visa.... if you are only in transit you won't need a visa' date=' but you won't be allowed out of the airport.[/quote']

the OP would need a visa as they are going on a cruise to NZ

Yup.

And more so...may I kindly suggest before you book (or straight after) any holiday leaving the US in future you do some basic research about your destination to ensure what you need and can arrange for it ahead of time. Your leaving a country.....and going to another one. There should never be any assumption.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm

Check here on Visa types.

I guess they could have asked if a birth certificate was enough. :)

Seriously though, thoughts of visas come after you book your trip. Well, that's what I do anyway. But wouldn't leave it quite so late as the OP. six months is about the time to start this process.

Gees some of you people are nasty.

There was really no need to make fun of the OP. A simple 'yes you need a visa' would've sufficed.

Echo that. The good thing is they're asking now... sometimes you just don't think of things, especially if you're used to visa-free travel.

Echo that. The good thing is they're asking now... sometimes you just don't think of things, especially if you're used to visa-free travel.

Yes. And a lot of people are surprised when they find out that you need a visa for Australia.

You will def need visas..available on line I presume same as ours for the US

Yes. And a lot of people are surprised when they find out that you need a visa for Australia.

Sorry. It precisely the 'never at fault whatever you do' attitude of some i here that gets people into trouble in the first place. Leaving country....check. End of story. End of discussion. There are no ifs and buts. Immigration in any country or any airline won't accept a 'sorry I didn't know' when you try to board and then turn you away. Tis is serious stuff when you are spending so much money.

Would you go and buy a car then check to see if you need a license to drive it?

And if you look at the OPs heading its 'Passport AND Visa required' as if they were taken by surprise that BOTH would be needed.

Oh and why should it be a surprise a visa is required for Australia? Because we are an allied nation? Supposedly we do not need one for the US but the process we go thro to register for a ESTA requiring application online and a fee means it is a visa in all but name. You cant enter without it, you cant board a plane without it, you apply, you pay, its all dome electronically. just like a visa in many cases. But all The rest of the world seem to know we need one of those to travel...and all cruise bookings you go thro do say to check for passport and visa requirements and its not the cruise lines responsibility.

I don't think anyone is being nasty.....what people are saying is this is a wake up call for all those that are lax in their research and that no assumptions should ever be made. Assumptions are what get people into trouble. The world is no longer a place to get around on a wing and a pray....

Sorry for the long post but I do get tired of people just 'excusing' things that could have important ramifications wth a simple wave of the hand... :D and it was not my intention to upset anybody if I was to direct.

I don't think anyone has been nasty at all but two weeks before a cruise is no time to think about visas. That should be part of the planning. Six months out. And if booking a cruise late then don't book a cruise that requires visas obtained beforehand. If the op was on a cruise to India and China for instance then they would not be going.

The USA is really strict with us aliens and most USA people have little idea about how strict they are so I think it comes as a surprise to USA people that other countries have their requirements too.

I think I reacted to the passports AND visa thing. Like, I have to get a passport but a visa too?

Gees some of you people are nasty.

There was really no need to make fun of the OP. A simple 'yes you need a visa' would've sufficed.

and

Wow! Take it easy. Too much stress!

I have found these boards becoming very nasty at times and really only pop in and read now..........I'm past posting now with some members being seemingly aggressive. Maybe they do not realise how their words can read in written form? Anyway I'm over this site now!

Sorry to the OP for the things written here.

It was a harmless post asking a question and some people although they say their post wasn't nasty seem to think they are ALWAYs innocent and don't realise that their word can be taken anyway when read! On hidding behind a computer, I wonder if their attitude would be the same in a face to face........Hmm!

That's my opinion so now watch me be shot down in flames AGAIN by those posters.

Oh well I'll get over it and maybe YOU should too!

Have agood day all :-)

Actually, I would say pretty much the same thing face to face. Probably joke with them about their poor planning or some such thing. Stir them a little but only if it wasn't too late to get a visa. Then I'd be concerned for them. Forums are forums. People have different opinions about lots of things. And maybe look at some of the things you've posted and see whether perhaps you have posted something that was perhaps what I'd call catty? Simply because they had a different opinion to you? See, that's not shooting down someone in flames. It's called discussion.

The OP actually asked a very sensible question because Australians travelling to the USA do NOT require a visa if travelling for less than 90 days. It's called the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and only applies to certain countries.

They do need to fill out an online form to confirm that they qualify but no Visa is issued.

US citizens travelling to Australia do need a visa as we do not have a VWP.

Archived