U.S. to Australia. Passport AND Visa needed?

The VWP must still be obtained several days prior to departure and without it you cannot board the flight direct to the USA. It may or may not be granted depending on the info you provide. For all practical purposes it is the same thing as a visa.

The OP actually asked a very sensible question because Australians travelling to the USA do NOT require a visa if travelling for less than 90 days. It's called the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and only applies to certain countries.

They do need to fill out an online form to confirm that they qualify but no Visa is issued.

US citizens travelling to Australia do need a visa as we do not have a VWP.

US programme re Visa Waiver is ESTA, only applicable to certain countries, Australia for one. I have had a couple of them in the past, they were free, but now a fee of $15. Have to get one for next years visit to USA post cruise. True it only takes 15 minutes on line to get it.

I think some of the posters have been a little harsh on the OP, sure he was late doing his research, but what the... We are Allies !

The OP has logged onto CC several times since his original post, wish he would let us know how the Visa process went and that all will be well fit his upcoming cruise!

Are you there???? In fact the "little green lite" next to the OP's name indicates he is actually online and logged into CC as I am typing.....

Yes, as you can see from my original roll call post I JUST booked this cruise. We have mostly done lots of land travel to countries (South Africa,Zambia, Zimbabwe, Hong Kong, Costa Rica, Honduras, Canada) that DO NOT require visas, just passports, so I was not used to getting a Visa, but just using my passport. And I usually do have time to check everything out before travel. This was just a very last minute trip. No worries. I did the online EasyETA. It's done. Consider me sorry for asking.

Why should they waste all that money on passports:D:D:D

I wasnt being nasty either:)

When you get involved in some US cruise discussions even when they are travelling outside US many answers are usually "why should I waste money on a passport"

Some still dont get it! Even on a closed loop cruise if they had to fly back to The States for some reason (missing the ship lol) they would not be allowed on an International flight without a passport:)

I think most others in the world know this!

Yes, as you can see from my original roll call post I JUST booked this cruise. We have mostly done lots of land travel to countries (South Africa,Zambia, Zimbabwe, Hong Kong, Costa Rica, Honduras, Canada) that DO NOT require visas, just passports, so I was not used to getting a Visa, but just using my passport. And I usually do have time to check everything out before travel. This was just a very last minute trip. No worries. I did the online EasyETA. It's done. Consider me sorry for asking.

Possibly not sorry you asked really! And not as sorry as you would have been if you didnt ask thats for sure:)

The VWP must still be obtained several days prior to departure and without it you cannot board the flight direct to the USA. It may or may not be granted depending on the info you provide. For all practical purposes it is the same thing as a visa.

Indeed, and very similar to the Australian ETA. In fact, there's more likelihood of being denied with the VWP from what I've heard so I wouldn't agree with gek's implication that the US is easier to enter than Australia.

And both cost similar amounts.

Glad you got right on it and now you can enjoy your cruise..... Thank god you did ask! Saved yourself a huge disappointment.

What does being an ally have to do with a country's immigration process. We're allies with India and look at that process!

I meant allies are supposed to be friends, you know, us and the Americans, nothing to do with the Immigration process/Visas etc. No fighting between us Allies, even on here, LOL.

Just curious,do the Americans have to have iris scans and fingerprints taken when they enter Australia as we do when entering the USA? I'm not being malicious as I really am curious!

Pushka,I know what you mean about the Indian visa.Had to do one for a land based holiday last year and it nearly took me all day to fill out!

Regards Elaine.

Archived