Grounded by Bird

world~citizen

Here is the little bird we found abandoned in a park February 15 last which is effectively grounding us for cruises. We did manage to get away last year but we lived in Athens and it was easy to convince someone to come to Greece for a couple of weeks to birdsit - selling it as a kind of Greek vacation. Now we reside in a small Canadian city with fewer attractions to entice would be bird care givers.

There are house sitting services. Has anyone actually used them and what have been your experiences?

wonder.jpg.1c45987a0b5599440a91b3a9dcc700f3.jpg

If you live anywhere near Calgary, I can find the name of a bird lady who takes in birds while their owners travel. (A friend uses her and gives her a GLOWING recommendation. She has limited space and does not accept every bird who wants to stay.) If you live on Vcr Island I may be able to find someone I could recommend. Would you be comfortable disclosing your location (more or less, somewhat generally?)

I am a pet sitter. There's a LOT you want to consider when hiring someone. Check with your vet to see who they RECOMMEND, not just whose business cards they have.

And THANK YOU for adopting your bird. :)

If you live anywhere near Calgary, I can find the name of a bird lady who takes in birds while their owners travel. (A friend uses her and gives her a GLOWING recommendation. She has limited space and does not accept every bird who wants to stay.) If you live on Vcr Island I may be able to find someone I could recommend. Would you be comfortable disclosing your location (more or less, somewhat generally?)

I am a pet sitter. There's a LOT you want to consider when hiring someone. Check with your vet to see who they RECOMMEND, not just whose business cards they have.

And THANK YOU for adopting your bird. :)

We are in Ontario. I know well the problems and many sitters have police checks and references. Vets are helpful but most sitters want to deal with cats and dogs. We have neighbours who promise they will help with anything, but no one is ready to care for a parrot unless they have cared for a parrot.

I suspect you know what I mean.

It seems an obvious question but can the bird's vet care for it while you get away?

What a beautiful bird...... and how wonderful of you to adopt it.

We would rather have a sitter. I didn't look into a vet looking after it because it isn't a strong preference, given the kind of bird it is. It remains a possibility but we would have to really think about it.

I don't think we adopted him as much as he laid a trap for us.:eek:

Yes, I used to look after FIVE of them :D I know what you mean :D

Is there a parrot-fancier group in your area? I know some parrot-people trade off parrot care.

It took us a while to find someone our bird liked. You might want to do a few "test-drives" of sitters/friends. A one day trial or something, to see how your bird responds, and how the sitter/friend responds. That would also reinforce to your bird that when you go away, someone comes in, then YOU COME BACK -- it is important that they understand that. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Far too often, people disappear for 14 or 20 days from their pet's life, without any short "test" period, and the pet spends most of that time wondering where their people are.

Good luck, I know that a good pet sitter is worth her (or his) weight in gold ;)

Yes, I used to look after FIVE of them :D I know what you mean :D

Is there a parrot-fancier group in your area? I know some parrot-people trade off parrot care.

It took us a while to find someone our bird liked. You might want to do a few "test-drives" of sitters/friends. A one day trial or something, to see how your bird responds, and how the sitter/friend responds. That would also reinforce to your bird that when you go away, someone comes in, then YOU COME BACK -- it is important that they understand that. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Far too often, people disappear for 14 or 20 days from their pet's life, without any short "test" period, and the pet spends most of that time wondering where their people are.

Good luck, I know that a good pet sitter is worth her (or his) weight in gold ;)

You are right. On the one cruise we have been able to take since we became a flock we managed it that way. The sitter also stayed a week before to get to know the bird.

Frankly, if the situation isn't right, we really can't leave for an extended period of time.

We use the services all the time, if we didn't we would be house bound. I have dogs, birds, frogs, lizard, etc.. It is expensive but if I want to go any where I have to pay the price. I prefer my animals stay here at home and not at a boarding facility.

Also I have lots of plants that need to be water and that is another service I have them do.

Wish I lived close I would love taking care of your bird. I love your story of finding her and nursing her back to health. I also love your devotion to her.

In actuality birds are pretty easy to take care of and can be left several days at a time, not like dogs or cats.

My experience has been good using pet services. Make sure they are bonded, and check references. Good luck

You are right. On the one cruise we have been able to take since we became a flock we managed it that way. The sitter also stayed a week before to get to know the bird.

Frankly, if the situation isn't right, we really can't leave for an extended period of time.

I completely understand your unwillingness to leave if you don't have GOOD pet care arrangements in place. I hope you are successful in your search.

One thing to consider is recruit your willing neighbours to visit daily, in addition to a pet care/home care provider, so the neighbours can monitor that the provider is in fact doing what is required and promised. (And that gives birdie more social time, too.)

For me, the big concern is that (despite good references and police check) a sitter may do only a marginal job, not stay the promised amount of time, or show up only occasionally. Having your neighbours participate would mitigage those risks.

edited to add: Pathfinderess, bonding mostly provides protection to the pet care company owner, not the people hiring the pet care company. If this thread is still lively tomorrow, I can go into more detail. BUT tonight I've had 2.5 glasses of wine, so am incapable of explaining it with any clarity :D

Is there a reliable bird rescue in your general area who might either have someone who does bird-sitting, or might know someone who does? Any avian vets in your area? Is there a veterinary school reasonably nearby that might know of someone in your area?

Beautiful bird, thank you for saving him!

Here is the little bird we found abandoned in a park February 15 last which is effectively grounding us for cruises. We did manage to get away last year but we lived in Athens and it was easy to convince someone to come to Greece for a couple of weeks to birdsit - selling it as a kind of Greek vacation. Now we reside in a small Canadian city with fewer attractions to entice would be bird care givers.

There are house sitting services. Has anyone actually used them and what have been your experiences?

[ATTACH]259357[/ATTACH]

Hello

Have you thought of posting this question on this thread http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1698080, it's the animal lovers forum, you may get some useful feedback.

By the way your little bird is an absolute stunner!

Good luck.:)

Is there a reliable bird rescue in your general area who might either have someone who does bird-sitting, or might know someone who does? Any avian vets in your area? Is there a veterinary school reasonably nearby that might know of someone in your area?

Beautiful bird, thank you for saving him!

Agree beautiful bird!!

I also was adopted this past June 30th by a 4 week old pure white bunny rabbit that I found in my front yard:eek: Not a wild rabbit mind you, but a store bought type.

Anyway when we were preparing for our November and December cruises this past year, I was told to contact one of our local Rabbit Resue Organizations. I did and the president sent out an email blast to all members to see if any would be willing to "Bunny SIt." There were 3 volunteers, whom I met with in their homes (had to to make sure they were safe for my Snow Ball. Chose one and was quite happy with her!! I took all of her toys, bedding, Condo and fresh veggies to the sitter when I dropped her off. We paid the sitter $100.00 USD for the 16 days we would be gone, plus $20.00 extra for any additional fresh veggies that might be needed:)

From what I have heard and experienced first hand, these non profit Rescues groups are amazing and take the best care of our babies:)

Hope you find one soon!!

Joanie

[ATTACH]259357[/ATTACH]

What a beautiful bird! Anyone know what kind it is?

Looks like an Eastern Rosella to me. Too bad you can't send him Down Under to his ancestral home...

Barb

He is an Eastern Rosella.

I don't think he could fend for himself and we wouldn't care to lose him now anyway. He has a damaged mandible which will need more work and wouldn't last long without intervention. Even though he is tier 2 on the endangered species list, Eastern Rosellas are shot on site by Australian farmers as pests. They get on the net where they beam over killing 30 in a day. Looks like he is stuck with us.

The animal lovers thread is a good idea, actually there have been good ideas on this thread which I will follow-up on.

Cruising with animal friends back home is a real challenge.

[ATTACH]259357[/ATTACH]

What part of Athens??

We've lived in Ano Glyfada and Ano Voula and daughter went to TASIS in Kiffissia.

Joanie

Kolonaki, behind the Parliament buildings and beside the Presidential Palace. It was a 15 minute walk in each direction to the Hilton and Grand Bretagne.

In the Plaka area?? Or the opposite direction?

It has been 27 years since we lived there the last time. I know a lot changed with the Olympic. If I remember correctly, the Presidential Palace was across from the Old Olympic Stadium.........

Joanie

Agree beautiful bird!!

I also was adopted this past June 30th by a 4 week old pure white bunny rabbit that I found in my front yard:eek: Not a wild rabbit mind you, but a store bought type.

Anyway when we were preparing for our November and December cruises this past year, I was told to contact one of our local Rabbit Resue Organizations. I did and the president sent out an email blast to all members to see if any would be willing to "Bunny SIt." There were 3 volunteers, whom I met with in their homes (had to to make sure they were safe for my Snow Ball. Chose one and was quite happy with her!! I took all of her toys, bedding, Condo and fresh veggies to the sitter when I dropped her off. We paid the sitter $100.00 USD for the 16 days we would be gone, plus $20.00 extra for any additional fresh veggies that might be needed:)

From what I have heard and experienced first hand, these non profit Rescues groups are amazing and take the best care of our babies:)

Hope you find one soon!!

Joanie

I had a little white bunny for years. She was litter box trained and would even sleep on my bed with me. When I went to work she was always by the front door waiting for me when I got home. I used to have someone stay in our house as it was less disruptive for her. We don't own pets, they own us. :D Now my housekeeper stays with our cat. She is traumatized by strangers, so I can't take her someone else.

In the Plaka area?? Or the opposite direction?

It has been 27 years since we lived there the last time. I know a lot changed with the Olympic. If I remember correctly, the Presidential Palace was across from the Old Olympic Stadium.........

Joanie

The Presidential Palace (also called the Presidential Mansion) is opposite the park behind the Parliament building. We lived on the street behind the Palace....

[ATTACH]259357[/ATTACH]

We do not have any birds, but cats and dogs. The dog has always gone to a local kennel and loves it there (we say he "goes to camp"). ;) The cats used to get a pet sitter service and they loved it. Twice a day for food, water, playtime, etc. We would get text messages and photos every day of their time together. At the end when we returned home, an entire "diary" would be waiting for us, where "the cats" told us what they had done each day. We were very pleased.

What about a breeder or a student from an Aviary school to care for the bird while you go. I had a lorikeet that I adopted from some people (mean little bugger) but soon got used to us. We had a student from the aviary vet school come and spend some time with him and she came and took care of him for us while we were gone. He didnt bite her once while we were gone. :D I prefered to have him taken care of by a breeder but there were no Lori breeders in my area and I wasnt going to let a person with only cockateil experience do it. I wish you luck, if its a young bird you may not be traveling for 15-20 years.:(

Archived