Best Beach Option

sarahc78

Could someone please reccomend the best Bermuda beach option for us. We will be traveling w/ our 6 & 4 year old children. We would like to have a good spot w/ great snorkeling, but also safe for the little ones.

We usually hit Tobacco Bay & Horseshoe Bay but would like to try a new beach this year.

Shelley Bay. It has shallow water, a shallow reef for snorkeling, beach rentals, snack bar and playground.

According to a post by NJ in 8/12, the snack bar/rentals are closed.

Here is what he wrote:

I read that a lot of damage was done to Shelly Bay beach by storms this past winter and that at least some of the facilities were no longer open.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_00000e.htm

Visitors' Reviews/Comments

Stephen (July 2012)

Unfortunately the cafe at shelly bay beach is now closed and you can no longer use the restrooms. With a hungry little one, we were not able to stay very long. Too bad because would have a perfect spot to spend the whole day!

Here's the link to the thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1427457

SBtS

The kids wont be snorkeling Mom & Dad will be taking turns snorkeling or the grandparents will be watchng them while we go off.

From what I have read on here Church Bay would be too rough for them regardless correct.

Isnt there an area that is protected cove? (like Tobacco Bay but smaller)

If snorkeling were not a requirement I would recommend Jobson's Cove and Warwick Long Bay which are together. These are our favorite beaches, just as nice as HB and Elbow but fewer ppl and there are restrooms and a vendor wagon for the kids.

If snorkeling were not a requirement I would recommend Jobson's Cove and Warwick Long Bay which are together. These are our favorite beaches, just as nice as HB and Elbow but fewer ppl and there are restrooms and a vendor wagon for the kids.

There isnt snorkeling at these spots?

Something in the deep recesses of my memory is telling me someone reported last year that some or most of the facilities such as the snack bar at Shelley Bay were no longer open (perhaps due to storm damage). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks to research done by SBtS, it turns out I'm the one who reported it. :o

I know a couple of you are old enough to remember this line from the Pogo comic strip:

"We have met the enemy and he is us." :D

The kids wont be snorkeling Mom & Dad will be taking turns snorkeling or the grandparents will be watchng them while we go off.

From what I have read on here Church Bay would be too rough for them regardless correct.

Isnt there an area that is protected cove? (like Tobacco Bay but smaller)

I love Church Bay but it has always been rough anytime we were there.

Can't think of any place that is a protected cove AND the type of snorkeling Tobacco Bay has to offer. Jobson's Cove is protected but even though we haven't snorkeled there, I can't imagine it would be any good.

Who knows......maybe they are working to get things up and running again at Shelly Bay for the upcoming season. I can't imagine they would just "give up" on such a nice beach.

There isnt snorkeling at these spots?

As they are more sandy than rocky, you probably won't see much of anything snorkeling at Jobsons Cove and Warwick Long Bay.

Church Bay would definitely be too rough for the kids, (I know it's too rough for me!), however, there are great tide pools to explore there. You and hubby could snorkel while grandma and grandpa take them to explore the tide pools.

You could also try Clearwater Beach/Coopers Island. It's a bit of a trek as it's at the other end of the island and a bit out of the way (so your best bet would be to take a cab - get one from St Georges to save some $$$ and arrange to have them pick you up at a specific time), however, the beaches are shallow and there are lifeguards and facilities at Clearwater. Turtle Beach (on Coopers Island) is lovely as well - the sand is pink there. Maybe someone else can chime in on the quality of snorkeling at Clearwater/Turtle Beach as I've never tried it there.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to say but I dont think there are any plans for Shelly Bay, the government has to be tight with their money and most of the beach stuff is at Horseshoe Bay...and tobacco bay.

Last season there was a snorkel rental place at Daniels Head in Sandy's ( 9 beaches resort that is closed down)

Church bay has snorkel rentals too...

I love Church Bay but it has always been rough anytime we were there.

Can't think of any place that is a protected cove AND the type of snorkeling Tobacco Bay has to offer. Jobson's Cove is protected but even though we haven't snorkeled there, I can't imagine it would be any good.

So, would it be safe to say that Tobacco Bay is pretty much our only option for snorkeling?

So, would it be safe to say that Tobacco Bay is pretty much our only option for snorkeling?

It is the best option if you want an easy snorkel off a beach. not the only option. And besides being easy it is usually good snorkeling. Church Bay is an option but it can be rough. Watch out for rip tides. Also there is the option of taking a snorkeling excursion that goes out on a boat. There are several companies that have excursions.

If you want a calm protected area, yes. There could be someplace I don't know about.;):) There's a cove to the right at Horseshoe Bay but usually there are too many people there churning up the water to see anything.

Actually, Blue Hole might work for you, though I don't know what you would see underwater as I have never snorkelled there. Keep the trails and you'll find a small, secluded, sandy beach on the Castle Harbour side which you could snorkel from. Might not be much beach there if the tide is high though. Also, water shoes might be a good idea as well as it might be a bit rocky. You'll probably be the only ones there!

The park itself is nice to explore as well. Some parts of the trail can be a bit muddy so don't wear your best shoes or flip flops if you plan on exploring the park ;)

However, as you a bringing a first-timer with you, Tobacco Bay might be a better option so they can get a better feel for snorkelling without being in open water, however, it is up to you - the bus stop is close enough if you decide Blue Hole is not for you.

Actually, Blue Hole might work for you, though I don't know what you would see underwater as I have never snorkelled there. Keep the trails and you'll find a small, secluded, sandy beach on the Castle Harbour side which you could snorkel from. Might not be much beach there if the tide is high though. Also, water shoes might be a good idea as well as it might be a bit rocky. You'll probably be the only ones there!

The park itself is nice to explore as well. Some parts of the trail can be a bit muddy so don't wear your best shoes or flip flops if you plan on exploring the park ;)

However, as you a bringing a first-timer with you, Tobacco Bay might be a better option so they can get a better feel for snorkelling without being in open water, however, it is up to you - the bus stop is close enough if you decide Blue Hole is not for you.

That small beach at Blue Hole, I snorkeled there about 14 years ago and it was nice. Shallow too, great for beginners to snorkel but when I went there three years later the coral was bleached out and there were few fish. I always hesitate to say anything about it when it comes up since I never went back to see if it had recovered. I don't know if it can recover.

However, as you are bringing a first-timer with you, Tobacco Bay might be a better option so they can get a better feel for snorkelling without being in open water, however, it is up to you - the bus stop is close enough.

Tobacco Bay sounds like a plan! How would we get there by bus assuming that's the best way to get there? :confused:

Tobacco Bay sounds like a plan! How would we get there by bus assuming that's the best way to get there? :confused:

Is your ship berthed at Dockyard (Kings Wharf or Heritage Wharf)? if so, the best way is to take the ferry from Dockyard to St. George's. (Note: This ferry line only runs on weekdays, based on the schedule used the last couple of years. This year's summer schedule isn't posted yet.)

The ferry ride is about 45 minutes. You can then walk to Tobacco Bay (about 15- 20 minutes uphill...and it can be hot in the summer) or take a taxi or shuttle from St. George's.

Archived