Floridians doing Alaska... What to Pack?

flcraigs5

We have booked the Holland America cruise leaving on May 22, 2013. What kind of clothes will we need to be comfortable while in port? Do we need snow boats, ski coats, etc. or would a down vest and heavy sweater work? Thanks for any help.

We have booked the Holland America cruise leaving on May 22, 2013. What kind of clothes will we need to be comfortable while in port? Do we need snow boats, ski coats, etc. or would a down vest and heavy sweater work? Thanks for any help.

The best is to wear layers . The weather is May can be anything bright sunshine to cold & wet. Wear layers that can be easily removed or added as required . Snow boots or coats are't required, Prepare to wear a sweater with a rain proof cover over top.

We are currently researching for a cruise in May as well, but ours is a week earlier than yours.

From what I can gather, the temps in May can range from 38 to 55 and in June, 45 to 60, so hopefully your weather will be more like June's!

It rains a lot in Alaska ( about 54 inches ) in the areas we'll be visiting, but it is just luck of the draw what you will experience. I have read that May is one of the drier months, so I'm hoping for some sunshine.

In everything I've read, the most often stressed advice is LAYERS, and make sure you can STAY DRY. Dress is very casual on land; jeans, sweatshirts, sweaters, fleece, T shirts. You can shed or add as you go through the day. A light backpack to hold unused clothing, jackets. A lightweight waterproof jacket is highly recommended. You can wear warmer layers under if needed. Comfortable walking shoes. You don't need to spend hundreds and you can find the waterproof ones as well if you are planning some adventurous tours.

A lot of these items are on clearance now if you don't already have them.

If you are planning any excursions on the water, you might also want to pack a thin base layer like Cuddle Duds --- they don't take up a lot of room in the suitcase and can keep you warm on the cooler days. I also recommend a pair of warm gloves and wool socks.

We have traveled to Alaska in May, June & July. As it has been mentioned layering is the way to go. But remember the same outer layers can be worn the whole week. A long sleeve t-shirt is definately enough when you are walking around the ship. Also you can spray your existing shoes with water proof spray. Do bring a hat and gloves for your glacier days as you will find it the coldest day for being on deck. Also as mentioned Alaska is very casual, new clothes are definately not essential for the day. Plus the t-shirts and outer wear in Alaska are quite economical and you will you will be looking for packing room, so leave some things at home (Alaska t-shirts are worn around my family weekly ;)). Don't over think it as you will get home and say I didn't need to take that!:)

Archived