Princess Wine Bottle Package Availability

IECalCruiser

I made the comment about the Silver Package. The entire wine list is available to purchasers of both the Silver and Gold packages. IMHO, the selection of wines priced around $29 is better for the cost than the wines priced around $45. A nice feature was that you could buy a more expensive bottle and you would only pay the difference. There are some nice wines in the $30-$32 range and it was nice to just have to pay the up charge. (You actually pay the full price for the more expensive wine and then receive a $29 or $45 credit to your account within a day.

Oh I see :) sorry I misunderstood before but you've explained it well- thank you!!!

Now have data from seven ships and it looks like you currently have a 50% chance of having the package offered :(

Current tally (10 day or longer cruises since 09/01/12):

Crown: 11/20/12 - 12 day Greek Isles - No (Reason: lack of sufficient wine inventory :confused:)

Crown: 12/02/12 - 20 day Med/TA - No (Reason: lack of sufficient wine inventory :confused:)

Emerald: 01/06/13 - 10 day Eastern Caribbean - No

Emerald: 01/16/13 - 10 day Southern Caribbean - No

Golden: 01/16/13 - 14 day Hawaii - Yes

Grand: 09/04/12 - 17 day Mediterranean - No

Grand: 01/26/13 - 19 day South America - No

Island: 11/12/12 - 14 day Panama Canal - Yes

Island: 01/09/13 - 14 day Panama Canal - Yes

Island: 02/06/13 - 10 day Panama Canal - Yes

Sapphire: 02/02/13 - 14 day Hawaii - Yes

Ruby: 09/03/12 - 12 day Mediterranean - Yes

Ruby: 10/09/12 - 19 day TA - No

Star Princess 10 day Mexican Sept 26 - no wine package

Star Princess 15 day Hawaii Oct 5 - no wine package told reason was because no wine sommelier was on board

Emerald Jan 16, 26 and Feb 5 all 10 days, no wine package at all. I've heard two reasons from vines steward (too many people complained because they couldn't drink the bottles they bought) Head Waiter in Michelangelo told us they kept running out of stock

don't know what the real answers are but if Princess is going to enforce their bringing wine on board policy they really need to get a wine package that is consistently available on all ships

NEEding my wine fix

Current tally (10 day or longer cruises):

Crown: 11/20/12 - 12 day Greek Isles - No (Reason: lack of sufficient wine inventory)

Crown: 12/02/12 - 20 day Med/TA - No (Reason: lack of sufficient wine inventory)

Emerald: 01/16/13 - 10 day Southern Caribbean – No (Reason: they kept running out of stock)

Emerald: 01/26/13 - 10 day Eastern Caribbean - No (Reason: they kept running out of stock)

Emerald: 02/05/13 - 10 day Eastern Caribbean - No (Reason: they kept running out of stock)

Golden: 01/16/13 - 14 day Hawaii – Yes

Ocean: 02/08/13 - 10 day South Pacific - Yes

Pacific: 01/17/13 - 10 day Eastern - Yes

Sapphire: 02/02/13 - 14 day Hawaii – Yes

Star: 09/26/12 - 10 day Mexico - No

Star: 10/06/12 - 15 day Hawaii - No (Reason: no wine sommelier was on board)

Ruby: 10/09/12 - 19 day TA – No

Looks like Golden, Island, Ocean, Pacific and Sapphire offer the packages, Crown, Emerald, Grand and Star don't and your guess is a good as mine for the Ruby.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Hi all,

I just did a "Lunch/Tour" on the Diamond Princess on February 8th, while having lunch in the Dining room, I asked wait staff if the wine package was available on the ship as we are sailing on the 3rd May. They replied "yes definately, we have the wine package" and told me to just ask the waiters or anyone in the dining room, we will be given a card like the coffee card etc.......

So, yes, as of 8th February, yes to the Diamond Princess.

Chez

xx

Current tally (10 day or longer cruises):

Crown: 11/20/12 - 12 day Greek Isles - No (Reason: lack of sufficient wine inventory)

Crown: 12/02/12 - 20 day Med/TA - No (Reason: lack of sufficient wine inventory)

Diamond: 02/08/13 - 14 day South Pacific - Yes

Emerald: 01/16/13 - 10 day Southern Caribbean – No (Reason: they kept running out of stock)

Emerald: 01/26/13 - 10 day Eastern Caribbean - No (Reason: they kept running out of stock)

Emerald: 02/05/13 - 10 day Eastern Caribbean - No (Reason: they kept running out of stock)

Golden: 01/16/13 - 14 day Hawaii – Yes

Ocean: 02/08/13 - 10 day South Pacific - Yes

Pacific: 01/17/13 - 10 day Eastern - Yes

Ruby: 10/09/12 - 19 day TA – No

Sapphire: 02/02/13 - 14 day Hawaii – Yes

Star: 09/26/12 - 10 day Mexico - No

Star: 10/06/12 - 15 day Hawaii - No (Reason: no wine sommelier was on board)

Looks like Diamond, Golden, Island, Ocean, Pacific and Sapphire offer the packages, Crown, Emerald, Grand and Star don't and your guess is a good as mine for the Ruby.

This is not sounding good for our 10 day on the Emerald which sets sail on the 15th. I called Princes last week to enquire if wine packages would be available on this cruise. After several minutes on hold they confirmed that wine packages would be available. After reading this thread I'm not very confident. I will update from the ship. :(

:):confused: Will be on the Golden in April. Does any one have the cost of the 12 day gold and silver packages? Thanks for your help.
Packages are for a number of bottles, not days.

Silver (wine up to $29)

7 Bottle - $161 ($23/bottle)

10 Bottle - $210 ($21/bottle)

12 Bottle - $241 ($20/bottle)

Gold (wine up to $45)

7 Bottle - $217 ($31/bottle)

10 Bottle - $290 ($29/bottle)

12 Bottle - $336 ($28/bottle)

A 15% gratuity is added to the price of the packages, the same as any other alcohol purchase. We had a Silver package and were able to order a more expensive bottle and were credited $29 towards the cost.

This is not sounding good for our 10 day on the Emerald which sets sail on the 15th. I called Princes last week to enquire if wine packages would be available on this cruise. After several minutes on hold they confirmed that wine packages would be available. After reading this thread I'm not very confident. I will update from the ship. :(
I forwarded the partial results of my survey to Princess a couple of days ago but have yet to receive a response. We will be on the Emerald in June and hope it will be offered then. Good luck to you on your cruise on the 15th.

If Princess is to be believed, the Dawn, Sea and Sun are not offering the packages and the Caribbean has only been doing 7 day cruises since September (The 10 day on 10/31 was shortened by hurricane Sandy and doesn't count). The only ship that I need info from is the Coral to have a complete list for now. Looks like Diamond, Golden, Island, Ocean, Pacific and Sapphire offer the packages, Crown, Emerald, Grand and Star don't and your guess is a good as mine for the Ruby.

Thanks to all and please continue to provide updated info, especially if there is a change.

Edited by IECalCruiser

What is the new wine policy? I have not cruised in 18 months! :eek:

A short summary (see other threads for hundreds of posts).

o One max 750 ml bottle per person at embarkation. Must be in carryon, not checked luggage.

o Additional bottles may be brought on at a $15 corkage fee even if consumed in your cabin

When this will really be enforced is unknown.

I have so many questions about the wine package! :confused: If you buy the wine package and want a bottle for your room, do you have to go to the dining room to get it? Can room service bring it? Is it on a card like a coffee card? If you buy a bottle that is more expensive than the package allows, ie: buy a $32 bottle, do you just pay the extra $3, plus 15% over and above the package allowance? (You've already paid gratuity of 15% on the package when you buy it right?)

If they end up enforcing the new wine policy, that will be a better way to go than buying off ship and then paying $15.... unless you buy $4.99 wine! :p

I contacted Princess regarding the wine package availability for my 27 day Cruise on the Emerald in April and was told it would be available. I will be so ill if I don't carry on additional wine and pay the corkage fee and it is not available. That is my concern. I would rather order the wine package than deal with carrying on so much but after reading this thread now I am dubious if it really will be available. Frustrating.

I contacted Princess regarding the wine package availability for my 27 day Cruise on the Emerald in April and was told it would be available. I will be so ill if I don't carry on additional wine and pay the corkage fee and it is not available. That is my concern. I would rather order the wine package than deal with carrying on so much but after reading this thread now I am dubious if it really will be available. Frustrating.
I have emailed Princess to find out if the wine package is available on my 28 day Star cruise in March. It will be a real problem lugging a lot of wine on board. I'll report back with their answer.

Cynthia

Unfortunately, Princess headquarters does not know what will actually happen on board. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in their answer :( The Emerald and Star have NOT been offering the packages :( Edited by IECalCruiser

:confused: If you buy the wine package and want a bottle for your room, do you have to go to the dining room to get it? Can room service bring it?
We had brought wine on board and didn't need any more in our cabin. We had not used two bottles :eek: in the Dining Room and took two to our cabin the last night to take home with us. I would assume we could have done that any other day. You apparently can only get bottles in the dining areas (DRs, HC, specialty restaurants), not bars. We did order bottles in the DR and the Bayou Cafe. The Island doesn't have a Vines but other posts appear to indicate that you can't buy or consume bottles from the Wine Bottle Package at Vines :confused:

Is it on a card like a coffee card?
You get a sheet of heavy paper a little larger than a coffee card and they punch it each time you get a bottle.

If you buy a bottle that is more expensive than the package allows, ie: buy a $32 bottle, do you just pay the extra $3, plus 15% over and above the package allowance? (You've already paid gratuity of 15% on the package when you buy it right?)
We had the Silver package. Were charged the full cost of the more expensive bottle of wine and our account was credited for a $29 bottle.

The above answers are based on our experience on our 01/09 - 01/23 Panama Canal cruise on the Island.

Hi, did you know about (or order) the package before boarding or did you ask on embarktation about it? Was there any problem with bringing your own wine on board? Thanks. Sharon

They really did not advertise the package. We just asked about it and we were told it would sold in the MDR. We ate in the Grill on the first night. They did not offer the package, but they went to the MDR and got the information for us. Thus we were able to buy it. They told me that they have offered the package for several months. I have yet to see it advertised.

No problem bringing on anything. It might be different depending on the port. We boarded in Papeete.