Mexican Rivera

Italy52

I think I'd like to try mid November. After hurricane season, it's not jellyfish season, the water should be nice & warm still, and no marine layer.

I've gone in Late Sept, early Oct, early December, February, late April, and late May now (which had the mildest weather of all my trips - and the warmest water to date - but had marine layer every morning except Cabo).

I wouldn't hesitate to sail late May again. In fact the only time I wouldn't want to go would be June-mid Sept because it's the rainy season.

I think I'd like to try mid November. After hurricane season, it's not jellyfish season, the water should be nice & warm still, and no marine layer.

I've gone in Late Sept, early Oct, early December, February, late April, and late May now (which had the mildest weather of all my trips - and the warmest water to date - but had marine layer every morning except Cabo).

I wouldn't hesitate to sail late May again. In fact the only time I wouldn't want to go would be June-mid Sept because it's the rainy season.

Noticed that you have sailed Mexico quite a few times. Any particular reason you are drawn to that cruise itinerary? We just finished inside passage for Alaska and are wondering if we should try a different route for Alaska or try something new and go to Mexico. Any thoughts?

We are doing the Mexican Revera in December.. Average temps should be in the high 80's

Noticed you chose December. Did you decide on that date based on past experience? If so, is temp. muggy like Caribbean or warm like California?

We are former Sitmar cruisers also. We were hooked on cruising after our first cruise on Fairwind.

We cruised in June (2nd week) last year and the only rain we got was in PV... where it rains each evening at that time of year. I wouldn't go much past June as it is extremely hot & humid. We would sail in June again - we had a great time. Even though it rained in PV, it was night time and it felt great after a long hot day.

Noticed you chose December. Did you decide on that date based on past experience? If so, is temp. muggy like Caribbean or warm like California?

We are former Sitmar cruisers also. We were hooked on cruising after our first cruise on Fairwind.

No.. Booked it after wife's friend said she and hubby were going (he does not know it yet). We are going to surprise her hubby and since we live within 45 minutes from San Francisco, it will be an easy cruise.. To go I had to promise wife that all Christmas decorations will be up and all gifts bought before we leave on the 10th.. :D As for SITMAR.. That was a great cruise experience. Our first cruise was in 78 on the Fairwind.

Largin - we went on Dec 16-Dec 26, 2002. Cabo was beautiful weather (low 80s) but Acalpuco was incredibly hot and muggy (near 100 degrees). Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta were probably high 80's.

I wish ships stayed in Cabo later!

we are going the end of october.... we've cruised in the spring before and the tradewinds were wickid as well as the water still being a bit chilly. The water is still warm in the fall, hurricane season has passed (though I don't think thats a worry on the mexican riviera side), and a lot of the kids are back in school providing us with a little more peace and quiet.

Happy sailing:D

We cruise in mid March and have another one in March planned. The weather was really nice in Mexico.

As always, on the way back to LA the temps get colder again. It even did when we did Mexico in May.

We went last year in early Nov. and had great weather. It was the 3rd year in a row we had been in the Mexican Riv. in Nov. and have had great weather all three years. The first two years were at a land based all-inclusive. Never a drop of rain but fairly hot.

I cruised the Mexican Riviera during the first week of May, and it was extremely HOT!!! But I love the hot weather...

The only time that it was too hot was during an excursion, in which we had to sit in the sun for a few hours (I thought I was going to melt).

Other than that, the cruise was WONDERFUL!! Probably my favorite Princes cruise!!

We will be doing the Mexico cruise at the beginning of March. Weather should be nice and the key factor for us, is to go when we are still apt to see the whales. We had the thrill of seeing the whales in Alaska and it just takes your breath away to see those beautiful animals.

Carol

Noticed that you have sailed Mexico quite a few times. Any particular reason you are drawn to that cruise itinerary? We just finished inside passage for Alaska and are wondering if we should try a different route for Alaska or try something new and go to Mexico. Any thoughts?

Mexico is my favorite itenerary - in fact, I wish there were a ten-day out of LA again all the way down to Acapulco and back. That was awesome. Part of it is the convenience of not having to fly anywhere to get to the ship, but most of it is Mexico itself. Great ports (well, Mazatlan is ok), great people, great food, great weather. It's not expensive like Hawaii (although I'd move to Maui right this second), but it has the hospitality of Hawaii. In the fall, after the rainy season, it is so lush and tropical - yet Cabo is always desert - which is übercool since it's desert at the ocean. Sure there are vendors like in the Caribbean, but after a simple "no gracias" they leave you alone.

There are also a LOT of West Coasters, so to me it's an extension of SoCal in a way, especially Cabo. If you get an itinerary that goes all the way to Zihuatanejo - that is really a cool port - like Cabo used to be 20 years ago - a small fishing village, yet Ixtapa, which is like Cancun - with all big resorts, is just a ten minute cab ride away.

I love the Mexican Riviera!

:D

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Trying to convince DH to try Mexico. Have been to the Caribbean numerous times, Alaska Inside Passage once, Med. once, and would now like to try something new. He likes the idea of a 10-day cruise, but not too happy about 3-4 days at sea.

Great info everyone. I am doing Mexican Riveria on Sapphire first week of October. What will the weather be like then. Also I didn't understand what "marine layer" is. Can anyone help out?

I am a Royal Caribbean fan trying to expand my cruising experiences.... Hope not to be dissappointed.

Did the Mexican Riviera on the Inaugeral cruise on Diamond in March 03. The weather was cool till we got to P.V. then the weather was hot around 80. After we left Cabo and rounded the bend in the pacific the weather dropped about 30 degrees all the way back to LA. Still it was a great cruise.

I'm with Bardgal re: Mexican Riviera - LOVE IT! Have been on 3 10 day cruises to Acapulco R/T from LA - and 6 or 7 seven day R/T - all on Princess. (oops, once on Carnival) Have been in Sept., Dec., Jan., Feb., March & April. All of them the weather has been wonderful - still very hot in PV in Sept. - and always hot in Acapulco. Hope to go again Thanksgiving.

Great info everyone. I am doing Mexican Riveria on Sapphire first week of October. What will the weather be like then. Also I didn't understand what "marine layer" is. Can anyone help out?

I am a Royal Caribbean fan trying to expand my cruising experiences.... Hope not to be dissappointed.

Marine Layer: This weather thing that happens along the west coast - it's condensation from the Pacific that forms a low-lying cloud cover that is thicker than fog, and doesn't come all the way to the ground, so you can actually see and have visibility. Sometimes it combines with fog, depending on how low the low clouds are. It rolls in from the sea at dusk and dawn. Sometimes it clears up at night, but most times it doesn't. It burns off when the sun comes up, depending on how thick it is. It burns off inland before it burns off at the coast, because the ocean is what created it in the first place. Right now, it's in it's full-fledged glory known as "June Gloom", sometimes not burning off all day, depending on how far inland you are. It will be this way until July 4th. It happens in Spring and Fall mostly.

Down in Mexico, their rainy/hurricane season runs from June - end of Oct. And yes, they get hurricanes. There was a nasty one in the fall of '02 that ripped up PV pretty bad. Cabo usually gets hit with one every September, but most cruise lines don't head back to Mexico until the very end of Sept, beginning of Oct when most of the weather is back to normal.

I can't tell you how many Memorial Days and Labor Days I've tried to go to parties at the beach, only to freeze my a$$ off all day long! On the rare occasion, I've experienced two hours of sun... The farther north you go, the more marine layer there seems to be (SFO/SEA).

hope this helps.

:D

If you go with reasonable expectations, you'll enjoy yourself. You can't compare it to the Caribbean. It's a different animal all together.

The water is cold, and usually cold water doesn't bother me, but WOW! it was cold!! :eek: Try 62 degrees the first week of April for snorkeling. :eek:

It's always gets cool the last day sailing home and the first day out.

It can get windy. Going in October means chances of big winds and hurricanes, but you get the lower cruise prices, so it's a trade-off.

Most likely, there won't be a marine layer at that time of year because of the winds. It'll be cool in the mornings and evenings and warm during the mid-day.

Everyone should try the Mex. Riv. once, just to see a different part of the world.

Archived