Cruise train from Liverpool street to Harwich

dcmcruiser

I saw the old posts about staying near the Liverpool station at the Travel Lodge near Liverpool Station..Can we stay prior to our cruise and see the British Musuem and some of the other sites? How do I pre-pay for the Harwich cruise train on Aug. 5? I tried on the anglia site and they only go until May. Also, sometimes these trains are unreliable..Has anyone had problems because I would hate to not make it to Harwich. Also, is it easy to get from Heathrow to the Travel lodge near Liverpool Station? Also, returning from Harwich, I have a 1:35pm flight from Heathrow...Can I take the train or should I use the cruise ship transfer? Trying to put this all together...Thanks!

Hi Vit4less

Firstly, welcome to Cruise Critic.

Secondly, sorry about my previous post!

You can only book advance tickets 76 days in advance so I calculate that the earliest that you will be able to book rail tickets will be 21 May. I'm sure you've already seen it, but in case not, here is the timetable for Harwich International to London Liverpool Street:

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/files/download/774

To be honest though, if I were you, I would book the cruise ship transfer as once on the coach you can then relax.

I will leave others, more familiar with hotels in London to answer your other questions.

Have a FAB cruise.

We are going on cruise in Aug. 2013 and would like to stay near Liverpool street station and take cruise train to Harwich, but need to know if train is not stop and if luggage is difficult to handle getting off and on train? Cruiseline has recommended hotel with transfer but it will take 2-3 hours to get to Harwich on day of cruise. Any suggestions on Liverpool street hotels will also be appreciated!:confused: PS: Never have taken train in Europe and thought it might be fun.

The train cruise train will not be running on 26 Aug 2013 due to track work. http://www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp.

Other than that I wish you well on your train journey

I am looking at taking the train from London Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International on the day of my cruise. The cruise train is very appealing as it is non-stop, but expensive and times are very limited.

However, the regular train from Liverpool Street to Harwich has about a 5 min layover time to change platforms at Manningtee Station (down stairs, tunnel under the tracks and then up the stairs on the other side). I am in fairly good shape but no olympian and doubt I could make this transition in the given time.

Does anyone have any input on the idea of purchasing one ticket from LIverpool Street to Manningtee and then a second ticket (departing 30-60 min later) to proceed from Manningtee to Harwich.

This would give me many more options as to what time I depart (the cruise train seems to only be 1-2 times daily but the regular train seems hourly) and I believe I could manage my bags up and down the stairs for a platform change if I had more than 5-10 min window.

Aging is not for sissys.

Thank you

I am looking at taking the train from London Liverpool Street Station to Harwich International on the day of my cruise. The cruise train is very appealing as it is non-stop, but expensive and times are very limited.

However, the regular train from Liverpool Street to Harwich has about a 5 min layover time to change platforms at Manningtee Station (down stairs, tunnel under the tracks and then up the stairs on the other side). I am in fairly good shape but no olympian and doubt I could make this transition in the given time.

Does anyone have any input on the idea of purchasing one ticket from LIverpool Street to Manningtee and then a second ticket (departing 30-60 min later) to proceed from Manningtee to Harwich.

This would give me many more options as to what time I depart (the cruise train seems to only be 1-2 times daily but the regular train seems hourly) and I believe I could manage my bags up and down the stairs for a platform change if I had more than 5-10 min window.

Aging is not for sissys.

Thank you

Hi Cynthia

You will be fine to purchase a ticket on one of the regular trains as the "boat trains" are actually there to connect with the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry service and actually nothing to do with the cruise ships although, of course, they are convenient.

If you plan to catch a train from London Liverpool Street after the morning "rush", say from 9.30am, you will be fine - most of the problems of travelling in the rush are caused by the volume of trains on the track, many of which are parked in sidings at Stratford throughout the day, and then brought out again at 4.00pm for the evening rush. The trains that leave "on the hour" are timed to connect with the Manningtree to Harwich connection so I would suggest getting one of those.

When you get to London Liverpool Street you should find your train waiting for you on either platform 8, 9 or 10 but still check the information boards. Your train will be listed as a NORWICH train, stopping at Colchester, Manningtree, Ipswich and Diss. I think I'm right in saying that there are luggage trolleys situated on platforms 8, 9 and 10 as people travelling on the Intercity service often have luggage so you should be able to put your bags on one of those and simply push the trolley down the platform - a member of staff may even assist you.

You should be able to board your train 10-15 minutes before departure which is good as, ideally, you need to walk all the way to the front of the train (the second carriage from front is best) to be near to the stairs/underpass when you reach Manningtree - if it's a slam door train (which is most likely) there will be 12 carriages but if it's one of the newer electric door trains then it may be smaller with just 6 carriages.

Assuming that the train is a slam door type, when you board the train and turn either left or right to enter the carriage, once through the sliding door, you will find a stacked luggage rack on one side, before the seating starts, so if you have a large case, that is where to put it as, clearly, you won't want to be lifting it onto the overhead luggage rack. Also, depending on the configuration of the carriage, some have tables that four people sit at and others have "aircraft" style seating, if you're in a carriage with tables, there is also room to put a case between the backs of the seats, except for the middle of the carriage where there's a rubbish bin.

Your journey to Manningtree should take approximately an hour and during that time the guard/ticket inspector should walk through the train and, if you have any questions re your connection, they will answer them. Someone should also walk through the train with a refreshment trolley but you will find a refreshment car situated between the first and standard class carriages should you not want to wait for the trolley service. I should perhaps mention here that, going from London to Norwich, on the slam door trains, the first class carriages are at the back of the train so just buy a standard ticket. These trains are designed for long distance and are nice and comfortable, with air conditioning, so enjoy the ride. In the unlikely event that the air conditioning isn't working in a particular carriage (it does happen occasionally) just move carriages. If you are travelling outside of the "rush" the train won't be crowded. There are also toilets at each end of every carriage where you board the train.

On arrival at Manningtree, on a slam door train, to get out you will need to put the window down and having heard the "clonk" of the door locks being released, lean out to use the door handle to open the door - I tend to stand back and let someone else do it - otherwise call out to someone on the platform and they will open it for you. Then, go down the steps, through the underpass and up the steps the other side and, again, the train to Harwich should be waiting for you on the left. Whilst you are doing this, the station platform staff will be running the full length of the train checking that all the slam doors are shut, then he will blow his whistle to indicate to the driver that it is safe to leave and then, he too, will have to go down the stairs, through the underpass and up the steps the other side, to send the Harwich train off. Although 5 minutes to change doesn't sound like very long it is actually plenty of time and, during the day, they will generally "hold" the Harwich train to ensure that everyone gets their connection. I would, however, suggest that the latest train you book from London should be the 2.00pm (14.00) which means that you will catch the 3.00pm (15.00) connection at Manningtree.

The punctuality statistics for our line are, I think, 95% - and that figure includes the rush hour trains that I used to commute on - so, to be fair, we do actually have a good service and, in the unlikely event that there is a problem on the day that you travel, the Intercity trains are given priority. There are passing points along the track and slower trains (ones that stop at more stations) pull over to allow the Intercity train to pass but clearly, if you plan to leave London before mid day you will have plenty of time. Also, the delays that may occur during the rush are often cleared by 10.00am.

On disembarkation days the journey back into London may not be as smooth as you may actually travel during the rush, depending on what time you disembark and, if there have been engineering works the day before, they have been known to over-run which means that the early trains get delayed which then causes a knock-on effect through the rush - not good for the stress levels if you have a mid day flight and have to check-in 2 hours earlier! Clearly, if you have a flight booked for mid to late afternoon onwards there shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, about 5 mins out of London, at Stratford, on the left facing the way the train is travelling, you will see the Olympic Stadium and on the right you will see the tower blocks of Canary Wharf - the world headquarters of HSBC is probably the easiest building to spot. When the train departs Colchester you will have about 10 minutes to gather yourself, and your belongings together, before you reach Manningtree.

Enjoy your train journey and have a FAB cruise.

Edited by Happyboating

Hi Cynthia

You will be fine to purchase a ticket on one of the regular trains as the "boat trains" are actually there to connect with the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry service and actually nothing to do with the cruise ships although, of course, they are convenient.

Greater Anglia run a direct "cruise train" only on the days a cruise ship is embarking/disembarking.

http://www.harwich.co.uk/cruise_trains.asp

Aging is not for sissys.

Thank you

I have not done the transfer at Manningtree, but I have seen pictures of the underground tunnel (somewhere here I think). You would have to be very slow indeed to not be able to transfer in 5 minutes.

That being said, I'm pretty sure your ticket would be good on the next train to Harwich if you missed that one - others with more experience can confirm or correct this.

Are there any issues with buying the tickets for the return trip from Harwich to Liverpool street at the station on the day the cruise returns or would I be better off buying the tickets in advance? As far as price, there doesn't see to be a difference. And as far as flexibility, this seems to be buying the the day would be better.

We want to use the 'cruise train' that departs LST (Liverpool St Station) at 12:28 and arrives HPQ (Harwich International) at 13:48 on June 3rd (Monday).

Should we purchase online thru Greater Anglia in advance or wait till we get to LHR on May 31st and purchase in London? And, if so, where would we do that?

Apparently the price is the same for the cruise train, a non-stop ride, and the other times that have a change in Manningtree.

I did not see this thread before I started a new thread with this question..

Susan

• 3 months later...

Aging is not for sissys.

Thank you

We just returned from our cruise from Harwich. We caught the 9am train at Liverpool Street Station on a Monday morning. We got on coach C near the front end of the train. It was not crowded and we had no problem with our two large suitcases and two carry-on size cases. We purchased the tix online earlier for only £8.00 each. We arrived in Manningtree, got off and were right at the stairway, which was easy to pull luggage behind as we went down the steps and a little bit of a pull up the next steps, but not bad at all. We come out right at the train and got on. It too was almost empty except for a few other cruisers headed to Harwich. Train pulled up at the pier Harwich International, at 10:17am, on time. Got off walked about 100 yds and turned the luggage over to the cruise staff.

Susan

1. There's absolutely no point in buying 2 separate tickets: One from Liverpool Street to Manningtree and one from Manningteee to Harwich.
  2. It is cheaper to buy a "return" ticket (Liverpool Street-Harwich-Liverpool Street) than to buy two singles. You don't have to specify the date on which you want to make the second journey.

Going by train other than the train scheduled special, I would not do it, if you have any problem handling luggage you will have a problem. If you struggle to put your bag on the scale at the airport the train is not for you. We took the train to Ipswich, the one you would go on to Harwich and transfer at Manningtree and it was a problem for my wife. It was fun and cheap but not easy.

If I buy train tickets in advance online, how does that work? Will I be able to print the ticket and bring it with me, do i have to access a ticket machine at the station to get the ticket or what? I'm not sure I want them to mail the tickets to me in the US, even if that's an option. What is the downside, if any, of waiting until we get to the station to buy the tickets, other than possibly having to stand in line?

Our TA purchased our tickets online. They were printed out for us and all we did was board the train in the coach indicated on the ticket. We had designated seats as well. Just have your printed tickets ready to show conductor if they ask for them. It was real easy.

• 2 weeks later...
If I buy train tickets in advance online, how does that work? Will I be able to print the ticket and bring it with me, do i have to access a ticket machine at the station to get the ticket or what? I'm not sure I want them to mail the tickets to me in the US, even if that's an option. What is the downside, if any, of waiting until we get to the station to buy the tickets, other than possibly having to stand in line?

I bought our tix online at http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/tickets-fares and it was super easy. They will assign you a seat. Choose the option to have your tix emailed, then print from the email. We showed the printout to the lady at the entrance to the train platform (# is on your tix) in Liverpool Street Station. We boarded the train and found our assigned seats. We found the train to be almost empty ( this was a Monday 9am) so we moved to a more comfortable seat we liked better. It was not a problem at all. We were on coach C. No need to find a ticket machine, you're all set with the email printout. I can send you an email link to a copy if you want to see it. My email is below.

Susan

This is something I've often wondered:

If you take the cruise train, does a whole train load of people arriving at the same time mean that there are long lines to check in?

I bought our tix online at http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/tickets-fares and it was super easy. They will assign you a seat. Choose the option to have your tix emailed, then print from the email. We showed the printout to the lady at the entrance to the train platform (# is on your tix) in Liverpool Street Station. We boarded the train and found our assigned seats. We found the train to be almost empty ( this was a Monday 9am) so we moved to a more comfortable seat we liked better. It was not a problem at all. We were on coach C. No need to find a ticket machine, you're all set with the email printout. I can send you an email link to a copy if you want to see it. My email is below.

Susan

That is exactly how we did too. Very easy. Except we were going to Ipswich. The train we were on left at 8:30am.

Edited by boards

We are going to drive around for a few days before our cruise--have already done London a lot. Will probably stay on the East Coast (NE/E of London) for several days--any town suggestions would be appreciated.

We get off Infinity on Thursday AM, 24 October 2013. If we have a 1400 flight from the airport, which is the best return mode to use? Don't want to pay an arm and leg for private transfer, but don't want to do transfers either. It sounds like the cruise train just goes to London proper.

Thank you!

We get off Infinity on Thursday AM, 24 October 2013. If we have a 1400 flight from the airport, which is the best return mode to use? Don't want to pay an arm and leg for private transfer, but don't want to do transfers either. It sounds like the cruise train just goes to London proper.

Honestly, with a flight that early (remember, Heathrow is over 100 miles from Harwich), either a cruise transfer or a private transfer is your best bet.

If you want to save a buck or two, you'll need to be on the 8:33am train from the dock. That will put you at Liverpool Street at 9:56am. Roll your luggage directly onto a Circle Line train via Victoria and get off that at South Kensington. (You don't need to go over any bridges but I think there are three or four steps down.) At South Kensington you can either go down deep into the Piccadilly Line for Heathrow or stay on the same platform and catch a District Line train (note: MUST be a Richmond or Ealing Broadway train, not a Wimbledon train). If you take the District Line, stay on it to either Barons Court or Hammersmith, then cross the platform to a Piccadilly Line train. Overall, your trip on the Underground from Liverpool Street to Heathrow will take about 75-90 minutes. The walk-up fare (from Harwich through to Heathrow) is £35.60 each (i.e. about $50 per person). You can save by booking in advance.

The next train after the 8:33 is the 9:33, and you'll be pushing it to get to Heathrow in time. (If you catch the 9:33, you'll probably want to go the other way on the Circle Line from Liverpool Street, go to Paddington, and catch the much more expensive Heathrow Express.)

Edited by MarlboroBell

We are arriving at LHR at 7AM on Sat Aug 17th. We have reservations for Premier Inn Harwich for Aug 17 and Aug 18.

What do you recommend for a 1 way transfer to Harwich. We need a reputable service as I think the trains and transfers would be too much for us.

Thanks for all the info.

• 9 months later...

Hi! We have used the cruise train in the past and thought it was great. A very pleasant ride and you are right at the cruise terminal when you get off at Harwich International. I would suggest you go online to view the Liverpool Street Station "map" to see where the platform is that you will leave from and allow yourself some time to find that platform once you get to LST. But, there were plenty of helpful people at the station too if you need to ask. Each train car has a luggage rack area to put your bags during the journey.

We are going on the cheaper version (one stop, to change trains at Mannington) for 8.5£ the day after you, July 14. Have a great cruise!