Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Nope. The average fare on that cruise is under $400. There are additional costs not being covered. He would still be out a week of work. Your math is wrong.

Who will be out of work a week? Do you know that no one has vacation time?

As stated before, all costs are being reimbursed, and if so, keep the money for a future cruise.

I read that Carnival is chartering planes. I wonder if passengers without passports, but just their birth certificates and driver's license, can fly home on a charter? This is one of the reasons most of say cruise passengers should get a passport.

you don't think a PP exception will be made? I do.

and I travel with a PP always, even to Florida, btw.

As one of the original posters on this thread, I thought it was going to be a place where people with family members on board would be able to update each other. Wow, I was completely wrong.

This thread is so out of control it's unbelievable. The fact that some people believe that people who have received texts from family members aboard are lying is insane! Why, would we lie? We have no reason, we were just trying to keep each other updated.

I've read stuff about the auto industry, the Titanic, passports, speculation, compensation, medications, drinking kool-aid, camping, job security, discounts, tents, the blizzard in the north, post saying they wish they were on the ship because then they would just get another free cruise, and many more totally unrelated remarks! It's basically become a thread for just trash talking each other!

I mean for heaven's sake there was even a CNN reporter on the thread spying at one time who contacted me and wanted to do a live interview with Solidad O'brien this morning, which I refused!

I guess the point of this is to say that this thread is absolutely useless and to be honest has disgusted me! If this thread is a good sample of the kind of people who are on Cruise Critics, then I really have no reason to ever come back here!

P.S...Go ahead, let the flaming begin! It's what you guys do right?

Not all of us are trash talking.....said it earlier, and I'll say it again. I'm praying for all of those onboard for a safe return, and praying for the families that are worried about loved ones. I sure hope your wife is at least comfortable.

Absolutely no way will a bus trip be attempted. Carnival is not going to take that safety risk. Imagine the news reports if one of those buses gets hijacked.

Progreso is a port city in the Mexican state of Yucatán, located on the Gulf of Mexico in the north-west of the state some 30 minutes north of state capital Mérida by highway.

Progreso is a port city in the Mexican state of Yucatán, located on the Gulf of Mexico in the north-west of the state some 30 minutes north of state capital Mérida by highway.

I was talking about busing to Mexico City or the US border. Obviously, they are going to have to bus to the airport location. That is actually one of the few areas of Mexico I would feel somewhat safe riding a bus in right now.

The Super Bowl power outage was not the result of an extraordinary event beyond the control of any of the parties .

I' ll take the blame on the Superbowl. I pulled the plug on the power supply.

Since my 49ers were stinking up the place I didnt want to see anymore:eek:

Speaking of stinking the place up. THe Triumph is getting pretty ripe about now. Even with half the commodes working thats alot of people backing up the plumbing

I was talking about busing to Mexico City or the US border. Obviously, they are going to have to bus to the airport location. That is actually one of the few areas of Mexico I would feel somewhat safe riding a bus in right now.

I was pointing out (or TRYING to point out reality in this thread, which is very diminished at this point :rolleyes:)

Merida is a huge city with many hotels, and the logical place to spend a night or two, if needed.

I was pointing out (or TRYING to point out reality in this thread, which is very diminished at this point :rolleyes:)

Merida is a huge city with many hotels, and the logical place to spend a night or two, if needed.

I'm not sure I'd call it a huge city. It is a large city. I'm not sure how many of the hotels would combined have 1000 or so rooms that I'd want to put my passengers up in if I were CCL.

As one of the original posters on this thread, I thought it was going to be a place where people with family members on board would be able to update each other. Wow, I was completely wrong.

This thread is so out of control it's unbelievable. The fact that some people believe that people who have received texts from family members aboard are lying is insane! Why, would we lie? We have no reason, we were just trying to keep each other updated.

I've read stuff about the auto industry, the Titanic, passports, speculation, compensation, medications, drinking kool-aid, camping, job security, discounts, tents, the blizzard in the north, post saying they wish they were on the ship because then they would just get another free cruise, and many more totally unrelated remarks! It's basically become a thread for just trash talking each other!

I mean for heaven's sake there was even a CNN reporter on the thread spying at one time who contacted me and wanted to do a live interview with Solidad O'brien this morning, which I refused!

I guess the point of this is to say that this thread is absolutely useless and to be honest has disgusted me! If this thread is a good sample of the kind of people who are on Cruise Critics, then I really have no reason to ever come back here!

Yup, this is pretty typical, unfortunately. It didn't used to be this way; sad that it's come to this.

I'm sure your family member(s) will be just fine and will make it home safely. While not the trip they signed up for, they'll certainly have stories to tell...

Take care.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Yes these kinds of threads always have some junk in them, you just have to go past those.

I am glad to hear that you are not letting the press get to you. There was a guy on the news here whose wife is on the ship and he said that he talked to her and no one was doing anything for them and that she was hysterical (sp). I find it very hard to believe that Carnival is doing nothing but that is his take or his wife's. I am sure things are not good but this should be one of those times that everyone pulls together.

I have been on two ships (one NCL and one RCCL) where we lost sewer facilities for about 8 hours and one were there was a small kitchen fire and they were not able to prepare hot food for dinner one evening. I have to say the one without sewer people were much more understanding than the no dinner. When they brought out sandwiches and cold items for dinner people were grabbing like they had not eaten in days. It was very entertaining seeing people hoarding food in bags like they were never going to get to eat again.

I hope you have been able to talk to your wife again and all is well with her. It does sound like they have been able to restore some functions on the ship.

I hope you are able to ignore the posts with anything that is disturbing to you and go to the next one.

I didn't miss the point. If a future cruise will involve all those expenses, how did they get the money in the first place (this is being returned) So they can keep the reimbursed money, voila, next trip paid for. As for lost wages, we don't know that. Most have paid vacation, others retired. If a few days lost wages makes makes or breaks things for a lifetime, they shouldn't be be spending that money in the first place.

Rather glib dismissal of other people's losses. Hope you never suffer the same.

There have been several cruise ship fires over the past ten years or so but it seems to me that Carnival has had more then their share. (And they also own Costa ??)[/quote]

Yes - unfortunately you can add Concordia to the list.

Followed by the Allegra fire, the QV engine failure at sea, the list goes on.

Im glad to hear this!. Things dont seem near as dire as everyone has been making it out to be. Yes, im sure its not ideal circumstances but sounds like Carnival is trying its best to make the situation more tolerable. The worst of it will be getting everyone home!

no the worst of it would have been having to go to the bathroom in bags and buckets for 24 hours while being forced to sleep on the op decks packed in like sardines

Agreed. Saying that first hand accounts received are made up, is outrageous. Thanks for taking the time to post the info you had.

no the worst of it would have been having to go to the bathroom in bags and buckets for 24 hours while being forced to sleep on the op decks packed in like sardines

I can tell you that wouldn't fly with me. There's no reason that people with outside cabins couldn't go to their cabin last night if they had a flashlight with them (many people pack those, it's pretty common sense. Keeping people hostage on the top deck overnight when there is no good reason for it is a terrible violation of basic human rights. They should have allowed people to go to their cabins where they'd have some privacy, comfort, and far more hygienic facilities.

Makes sense that the lower decks were off limits. The lack of toilets would lead to the lower decks being use as public latrines. The Tropicale engine fire in Sept 1999 where that ship was stranded in the Gulf had desperate passengers going to the bathroom in hallways and stairways.

I wouldn't want the hassle for a free cruise. I don't mind a camping trip when it is on my terms. Not really a good way to spin this as a positive for anyone. At least three days of finger foods and no air conditioning in the muggy Gulf of Mexico. They are really lucking out on the weather. I've seen some bad February weather come through the Gulf. Then you finally get to port, bus ride in land to the airport and then hope that you can get on one of the earlier flights and are not stuck for another day or two. Finally get home after a whole extra week of vacation burned up, or not being paid at all, for no real enjoyment. Anyone who thinks this is a good deal is crazy. My concern is just making sure that Carnival gets everyone back home as quickly as possible and doesn't give them the run around on reimbursements. However, the primary concern is getting everyone home safely first.

Late Wednesday into Progreso they are saying.

So the ship was never fully without power, toilets are operational in some sections. Some elevators are functioning. Even hot coffee and some hot food is available.

The ship was on emergency power only for 24 or so hours. Bathrooms were not working for 24 or so hours and people were forced to go to the bathroom in a bag or bucket. There was no hot food available and only now is there very limited hot food. But I am sure all is peachy

Archived