Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Actually, that's a pretty good summary.

I'll add in, they have a Coast Guard cutter flanking them for support/assistance.

There were 2 known medical emergencies requiring evacuation.

Following all of the data, I wonder how many of the procedures we have heard about came as a result of the Splendor. Things like individual red waste bags for defecation, possible power rerouting protocols, etc. We may never know, but it definitely sounds like its being handled better this time. That may be skewed however by the availability of the nearby ships to provide logistical support.

There are about 4 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

The pax are eating veggies and there is some coffee.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

Did I miss anything?

I read that Carnival is chartering planes to fly from Progreso to Houston (not sure which airport). I wonder if passengers without passports, but just their birth certificates and driver's license, can fly home on a charter? This is one reason most of us say cruise passengers should have passports.

Of course having a passport would be first choice. However I don't see any problems with them flying in on a charter aircraft. It should be just like arriving by ship.

A non ship passenger/crew won't be allowed on the plane, so it should work as if they never left the ship as far as the passengers go. However for the feds, and the cruise line, it will take a bit more work. When the ship arrives the feds handle all the folks at once. With several aircraft, it will require better keeping up of the check list of who on the manifest has cleared.

It's all about people control! Only crew and passengers get on the ship. Only crew and passengers get on the plane.

I'll add in, they have a Coast Guard cutter flanking them for support/assistance.

Following all of the data, I wonder how many of the procedures we have heard about came as a result of the Splendor. Things like individual red waste bags for defecation, possible power rerouting protocols, etc. We may never know, but it definitely sounds like its being handled better this time. That may be skewed however by the availability of the nearby ships to provide logistical support.

What was the other evac??? I read about a broken leg.

And,

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!

some people, these days, can't take a piss without letting someone else know.

That would actually be useful info right now since we have spent about 20 pages debating, arguing, and speculating on the state of the toilets on board. :D

And apparently even CBS is interested in the answer. ;)

There are about 4 posters who have family/friends on the Triumph and are getting sporatic updates from them. (please keep them comeing)

News releases say some of the toilets are working, but it appears some on the ship do not know that.

The tug boat is/was running late. The ship may or may not be in route to the Port in Progresso.

The passport problem will probably not be an issue as there can be exceptions in certain situations.

The pax are eating veggies and there is some coffee.

They are also allowed in to their rooms now, (as seen by the recent picture), but it's hot w/o the AC running.

Did I miss anything?

I'll add, some pax are sleeping on deck under improvised tents.

Of course having a passport would be first choice. However I don't see any problems with them flying in on a charter aircraft. It should be just like arriving by ship.

A non ship passenger/crew won't be allowed on the plane, so it should work as if they never left the ship as far as the passengers go. However for the feds, and the cruise line, it will take a bit more work. When the ship arrives the feds handle all the folks at once. With several aircraft, it will require better keeping up of the check list of who on the manifest has cleared.

It's all about people control! Only crew and passengers get on the ship. Only crew and passengers get on the plane.

I think you are over simplifying it. Some people won't be US citizens. Others will have passports. Even if they don't force everyone to get a passport through the Embassy before they leave Mexico, there will be extensive delays as they positively verify everyone without a passport via any number of extra screening procedures. Anyone without a passport should expect to spend hours at CBP on their way back into the US.

I could be wrong, but I'd expect CCL will give priority to those with passports--possibly sending them home via commercial flights where seats are available. Just like an airline does in an irr ops situation, re-book the easy ones first and then move on to the rest.

The other was a dialysis passenger.

Oh wow. TY. Yes, someone suffering with kidney issues can't hang out at sea for 4 more days. I had a gf cruise with me once who had to get a treatment immediately before boarding so she could last the duration of the cruise. She had to get a treatment in port canaveral as soon as she debarked, prior to going home. She could not have hung out on that ship for 3-4 more days without going into total failure.

... flying in on a charter aircraft. It should be just like arriving by ship.

A non ship passenger/crew won't be allowed on the plane, so it should work as if they never left the ship as far as the passengers go...

Interesting. do you know that this has actually been done before?

If you have to ask , maybe you don't have real good grasp on how the Mexican Govt operates .I imagine they don't do anything until they extort plenty of dollars out of somebody first . People sick and dying is no big deal in Mexico .:mad::mad::mad:

Really :rolleyes:

Im sure they are doing everything they can to help Carnival out.

My mom just texted me from the Triumph. "No power in room. Pooping in bag. Peeing in shower."

So sorry to hear that. OK, you are now the fifth different person who has reported this. When the first one did, they were flamed by numerous people saying they were lying - that Carnival said bathrooms were working so it must be so.

One poster even said - why would Carnival lie. As I responded then - public relations spin

Now that we have five different independent reports from people actually on the ship contacting loved ones that the bathrooms are still not working, it is clear you can not believe the Carnival PR

Yet some here will still argue the bathrooms are working because Carnival said they were. If that were the case, why would people on board not know. Why would Carnival not let THEM know instead of telling them to pee in a shower and poop in a bag?

Oh Geeze. :( Hopefully they will stay down there and do a mini land vaca so the whole thing isn't a bust for them.

I called my cousins after I found out about Triumph from CC this afternoon. Turned out they had only just found out they were not going. They were upset at first because they were so looking forward to the cruise. But now they all sound upbeat again, talking about doing a road trip around TX to Big Bend National park. They were also planning on visiting family in Houston after the cruise and that part is still on. I am sure they will have fun, but just not the way they planned.

And after reading this thread, both they and I are thankful they are not on Triumph right now.

:confused: Like what? Blowdrying your hair? As a pax, you couldn't go and cook your own food if you had electricity, as a pax you could take a shower with hot water if there was electricity, but there isn't electricity, so with the little power they had for some time and being able to tap into another ships cellular at sea signal, what else would be more important than letting the people at home who love you and who are worried about you know that you are okay? Thank you for another one of your valuable posts lol. If you were the one home with someone close to you aboard that ship, wouldn't you want to know they were okay if they had a charged fone and could tell you? Forget I asked that. It's almost rhetorical.

I agree. In case of emergency, keeping the line of communication open is extremely important. Especially when there is nothing else within their control that they could do or help.

I think it is safe to say that part of the ship has working toilets. Lets assume half the ship has working toilets. Take 2000 people who would normally be using their commodes back in their cabin for a good percentage of their "movements" and only have a few working public bathrooms and you will probably still have a need for a high percentage of the 2k people using the baggie technique.

I live in a condo complex of three 15 story buildings. Over the summer my building lost power for 3 days. Major underground line shorted and also blew our board or what ever you call it. We had water but not hot. We resorted to using the club house showers. If you wanted a hot shower, you had to wait a long long time during certain parts of the day. The other 2 buildings were not affected.

Oh wow. TY. Yes, someone suffering with kidney issues can't hang out at sea for 4 more days. I had a gf cruise with me once who had to get a treatment immediately before boarding so she could last the duration of the cruise. She had to get a treatment in port canaveral as soon as she debarked, prior to going home. She could not have hung out on that ship for 3-4 more days without going into total failure.

Interesting. do you know that this has actually been done before?

My father was on dialysis and needed treatment every three days for 3 hours. I was surprised that patients were allowed to even travel, but I saw on the Carnival web site that dialysis machines were permitted on board. Dad's machine was bigger than a washing machine so obviously things have come a long way over the years.

Archived