Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

According to Mapquest, 487 miles from Mobile to Galveston. I don't think I'd want to be on a bus for almost 500 miles after going through that experience on the Triumph! I hope Carnival can get most passengers out from airports closer to Mobile, but I do feel sorry for those who drove to Galveston and now might end up on a bus.

WE are scheduled to be on that boat in 4 weeks.. There is no way I want to be on that ship for health reasons.

What are our options?:mad::mad::mad:

Um, cancel and find another cruise? It most likely won't be back in service in 4 weeks anyway.

Just curious, how far is it between Mobile and Galveston?

Driving distance from Mobile, AL to Galveston, TX 488 Miles / 785 Km. How many hours? 7 hours 26 mins.. I just got back from Galveston yesterday, and the motels was flooded with people for the Mardi Gras.. Those poor people!!!! Plus most every bed on the Seawall has bed bugs!! I am sure once they get to land they'll not care about that however!! A hot shower and food and getting home to their loved ones in more important:)

WE are scheduled to be on that boat in 4 weeks.. There is no way I want to be on that ship for health reasons.

What are our options?:mad::mad::mad:

Call Carnival and see if they will let you change ships without penalty

Than Look at cruises out of New Orleans

Are you sure there are 3000+ 4 star vacancies in Mobile? We'll see what is provided upon arrival. I suspect a fleet of busses will be available to transport many of them to Galveston - especially the drive to port folks. If I could quickly take a porta-shower before getting the H out of there, I think I'd jump at the chance. (and I AM a fan of 4 star hotels)

...and as to your earlier claim that they'll probably use busses rather than planes because CCL is cheap. Again, we'll see. But as you mentioned only regional jets serve the airport. I'm sure it's a matter of logistics. It's relatively easy to charter a fleet of busses (although getting 60 busses for 3000+ people is still a challenge) - arranging a fleet of small jets, not so much.

They'll still need hotel rooms in Galveston, Houston or even New Orleans or Montgomery to house those who need to fly home. It's high season down there, (spring break and two days after Mardi Gras) so I'm sure they'll get what they can get. The price differential between a Days Inn and a Marriott wouldn't be all that different given the industry rates they pay and is probably minimal in relation to the total expense of the disaster.

Coach USA could have 60 coaches in Mobile on 24 hours notice.

A big lesson. Most importantly it is the questions and research I need to do for myself and my family ahead of time is of critical nature so that I can promise my family that we are in safe hands throuighout any given circumstance while in the hands of the Crusie line during our trip.

In my opinion it is unforgiveable to be the caretaker of over 4,000 souls without being able to prepare and communicate with assurance about their vessals for just this type of situation. I know that the reason I acknowledge the expense of this trips is that I am paying for the expertize.

Those things must include being able to provide temporary beds/cots, food, water, shelter and communication with assurance to future cruisers. That all situations are basic emergency training for them and sending out productive ongoing communications to news media is a matter of practice.

It not what we have heard with previous incidents, nor any specific info concerning this one. Again my plea is for us to be better consumers and demand this kind of information before it is needed. Its more than just a muster drill its how do we manage emergencies, and it should be in all of our cruise documents. Step by step.

This lesson tells me that instead of just focusing on destination and price, the cruise I take should be judged on who has the better plans in place to keep my family safe no matter what.

Really? Then why would Carnival be rethinking that rule? What have they td you?

Individual cruise lines get to require whatever documents they want, as long as they *at least* meet minimal state department and DHS standards.

Again- I direct you to

The following cruise lines require a passport for all sailings, regardless of destination or port of departure: Azamara Club Cruises, Crystal, Cunard, Fred. Olsen, Hurtigruten, Oceania, Orion Expedition Cruises, P&O, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, Star Clippers, Swan Hellenic, Voyages of Discovery and Windstar.

Carnival certainly has the right and the power to require passports, and some would argue- a responsibility given what *could* go wrong.

Free CRUISE plus FREE FUTURE cruise, plus all traveling expenses reimbursed, plus a STORY for the AGES. Suck it up for a few days, everyone is going to be just fine. To be honest, put me on that ship, I wouldn't mind the adventure. I dont think SAFETY is an issue at all. People are making a big deal out of nothing. The PAX are getting compensated nicely. So, you sleep in tents on the deck. There is no buffet, or unlimited ice cream for a few days. My golly, only 3 square meals. Heaven forbid. Send me on that ship, I'll take that compensation package any day for what the PAX are going through.

Onions in mayo on a hot dog bun or a cole slaw sandwich...nah I'll pass...not a square meal to me. But truthfully, the food is not the biggest problem. As most have expressed it's the sanitary conditions that I would find the most worrysome.

I think I'll wait for the next ship ;)

LOL.... Fox News.... yup there is a ship in trouble, lots of poo, towed to Mobile.

NBC..... There is a ship out there and it is in trouble.

CNN..... Ship covered in poo, passengers sleeping in tents and it is dire.

You pick your spin I guess...... Got to love the worst possible view from CNN.

Got to love our Media these days. :rolleyes:

We are scheduled to be on it in two weeks. I'm still hoping that by some miracle it is fixed by then. I have seen how efficient the crews are at cleaning up nasty messes and have no concerns about that aspect. It is the mechanical issues that could take longer.

We just canceled. Were on the feb 25th cruise. No penalities full refund and now have a room on the norwegian star out of new orleans starting feb 23

Archived