Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I keep seeing all these posts about how the fire was caused by a known problem, engines will have to be replaced, there is extensive damage, and Carnival knew the ship wasn't seaworthy, etc etc etc

Do you guys have any PROOF of this? You're speculating. Show us some proof or stop saying stuff like that until you get the facts.

Again I'll reiterate I am NOT a Carnival cheerleader; I've been on one cruise with them. Yeah, it was wonderful. After this I'm wary of using them again. However until we get all of the FACTS people need to stop making baseless accusations because you have NO idea what caused the fire, how much damage there is or what Carnival knew and didn't know! PLEASE! Let's keep this thread to facts!

This is a message board; not a court of law.

Personally, I know when and where I'm gonna get some semi accurate and opinionated statements, but I'm not worrying about it till communication is back up and established. Until then, it's sharing some stuff.

CNN has reported that they will be bringing to viewers an interview from 2 mothers whose children are onboard without them. Not sure if they are with the other parent or with friends, but still. :(

The live crew at the dock has a mother who is waiting on the ship, her daughter is on the ship with her ex and called after the fire. just more gas for the fire.

I feel sorry for the newbe cabin stewards that are walking around with big pooper scooper cleaning up after all the "FatCats" that are on vacation and pooping all over the place.

After reading about the pee and poop running all over the floor, maybe they should have the big security guards start catching the people that are peeing and pooping on the floor, grab them by the neck and rub their nose in it, like you would a puppy or kitty. I bet they would make sure they hit the bucket the next time.

Have you considered that the conditions may be a result of toilets -- in public areas and cabins -- overflowing and not people just deciding to relieve themselves in the halls?

Have you considered that the conditions may be a result of toilets -- in public areas and cabins -- overflowing and not people just deciding to relieve themselves in the halls?

This! Again, I'm sorry but there's no way people are popping a squat in public areas and letting others watch them do their business.

I am sailing on her (hopefully) March 30th. On our roll call we now have posters commenting that we should run for the hills and they are not even booked on our cruise. Really wish the speculations would cease and we try to keep some common sense on this thread and others.

when i was looking at one of triumph propulsion threads from a week or teo ago, i thought i saw some CC members being booked on this sailing. It will be interesting to read what they say if/when they get around to posting it.

just curious where people think that anyone is getting accurate information about existing conditions. the limited amount of power available for communication equipment is not about to be spent with someone keeping someone updated on living conditions or passenger comfort. there is a CG ship to monitor the situation in case of a more drastic problem, ie sinking. i am sure the captain and crew is busy communicating with the tugs and the coast guard while making arrangements with the port of entry. carnival is busy making sure 3000 pax plus crew will be assisted once the boat debarks. they need to line up dock workers, baggage handlers, customs, lodging, land transportation, air transportation. they need to make sure that people onshore are familiar with how people are to get home and direct passengers to the right areas.

i just don't understand the entitlement of families on shore that feel they need to know everything that is going on on the ship. you would think they are the ones involved in this event and that they are the ones having to experience the unthinkable. so, what if people have a few restless nights worrying about their loved ones, doesn't make them the victim. yes its hard to be the one left at home, but they know the ship is being towed and that their loved ones are safe and that they will be home by tomorrow. now what else do they HAVE TO KNOW.

If I had a family member on the ship I would want to know everything I could. What are the conditions? Are they sick? You could go on and on. It's my place to decide what I should know, not the corporation my family member paid money to. I don't think it would be good enough to conclude that someone else is looking after them so I'll just tune out and go about my business as if nothing happened.

The live crew at the dock has a mother who is waiting on the ship, her daughter is on the ship with her ex and called after the fire. just more gas for the fire.

I don't understand your last sentence. So is it your feeling that the media shouldn't interview anyone? Or that passengers and/or their families shouldn't grant interviews? What exactly is the problem with this mother being interviewed?

Here comes the interview on CNN intro'd with "sewage sloshing around the hallways". Wow... If and when the truth comes out, I'm gonna hold CNN accountable for the truth or lack there of and then go back to turning off my TV for another few months.

Edit: Father reported "sewage was coming up from the showers" and the daughters had to sleep in the hallways. :eek:

... lol and then the interview/segment is suddenly cut off by a commercial. I didn't hear the women confirm what the announcer said about sewage sloshing in the halls unless I missed it. Moar CNN hype and damage control?! Long live Noam Chomsky.

"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Perhaps Carnival should start adding towing functionality (to tow and be towed) into their new builds. Nothing like being proactive! ;)

Tom

LOL..Have a good trip...

I should not be reading and catching up...or really making a post but..

This was good...and reallly not a bad idea for any line...

Just hope we really know the answer and can be assured things will get better about knowing the details and how badly "unrepaired" is ok for a ship to go out..better policies for all of us that like to cruise or dream about cruising all lines..

Sarah

PS..And praying for all in this situation directly..may they get to comfort and safety soon and may they stay well.

So should they not interview people who may have been in contact those on board? This is very big news for those of use who like to cruise and I'm glad it will get coverage from all the networks rather than hiding the information like the cruse lines would prefer.

This! Again, I'm sorry but there's no way people are popping a squat in public areas and letting others watch them do their business.

There is roughly 1 crewmember for every three passengers on this vessel. Having been on a number of these cruises I cannot imagine that the crew is not working nearly around the clock doing everything they can to keep conditions as sanitary as they can under the circumstances. They are usually obsessed with 'clean'.

That said, there have probably been some nasty messes to clean up and a lot of red bio-hazard bags to collect and remove from the hallways. Not a pretty sight, but I am sure the crew is working very hard to keep things as sanitary and comfortable as they can.

We shall see in a few hours what things were REALLY like, as opposed to that portrayed by vivid imaginations on Cruise Critic and CNN.

I would bet there were many real humanitarian heroes among both the crew and passengers. We shall see soon.

Here is an interesting read, along with some good photos:

"Boss of Carnival cruise ship adds insult to misery by going to basketball game as 4,000 suffer aboard 'stinking stricken ship' with urine-soaked carpets and sewage in cabins".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277914/Carnival-Triumph-CEO-Micky-Arison-takes-basketball-game-thousands-suffer.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

EDIT: Don't know if this is fact or fiction ....

By the time the Triumph was hooked up to be towed it was Tuesday. 250 nautical miles at 5 mph would be a 50 hour tow. Wouldn't that put the time of arrival at noonish Thursday. Sounds entirely right to me. Why would people think it was today?

I am also amazed at the number of family members who think this experience is all about them and feel that they are being consciously kept in the dark. Let's see 3000 pax having assorted parents, grandparents, husbands, wives, kids, grandkids, aunts and uncles, best friends, employers, the local mailman all calling Carnival to get an up to the minute update on their loved ones....can't even begin to imagine the amount of phone traffic directed at "somebody" at Carnival.

I also feel for the Mother standing on the dock in Mobile waiting for her child. But if the child is with their Father I would think he is being responsible for the welfare of that Child. Trust CNN to pull out the most heart/gut wrenching fluff piece to air on their telecast. But then, they must fill the multitude of hours of "news" that they have committed to every day.

ETA: Oh, and I am sure that CNN will set the history of Father's rights back a few years, once again, since WE ALL "know" that a Father can never care for their child like a Mother can.

If I had a family member on the ship I would want to know everything I could. What are the conditions? Are they sick? You could go on and on. It's my place to decide what I should know, not the corporation my family member paid money to. I don't think it would be good enough to conclude that someone else is looking after them so I'll just tune out and go about my business as if nothing happened.

My wife is on board, and calling CCL is useless. The "representatives" you speak with have no information other than the same stuff you hear in the media or see on their website. CCL has really dropped the ball on this. i am so glad the fire department I work for is not so ill prepared1 the citizens would be at grave risk every day!!!

Does anybody have a recent location on the ship? GPS/AIS etc?

Care to provide examples???

Regarding RCCI ... we were on a cruise with RCCI and had a bad outbreak of Noro the last night of the cruise. In the am for debarkation they made everyone go into the theater. We were there for 3 hours (at least) with hundreds of people in varying stages of the illness. There was ONE restroom with a huge line and not a glass of water or any beverage available. They would not let us leave to use any of the other rest rooms and the only thing they offered was airline type barf bags.

Luckily we were with a great group of passengers and if anyone in the line said they were in bad shape, the rest of us let those people go ahead. We sort of had a triage going all on our own with no help from the crew.

My wife is on board, and calling CCL is useless. The "representatives" you speak with have no information other than the same stuff you hear in the media or see on their website. CCL has really dropped the ball on this. i am so glad the fire department I work for is not so ill prepared1 the citizens would be at grave risk every day!!!

Does anybody have a recent location on the ship? GPS/AIS etc?

I know FB is forbidden on CC and I hope they'll forgive me for this one:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carnival-Triumph/261195987345823

There is a group for families and friends of those on the Triumph. They've been passing on information as they get it. Best of luck to you and your wife.

Archived