Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

So how are all of these people and news companies talking to the passengers? They are not nor have they been in cell rang for a long time. I mean some are saying they spoke to their families yesterday. How is what I would like to know.

These people are living in hell right now. I would not like to be on that ship that is or sure.

I have been reading posts about the ship getting close to areas where there may be cell phone reception. Since there are no new updates here, I am assuming that has not happened yet. Do you think Carnival would keep them out of cell phone range on purpose? I am sure they are not looking forward to the reports that will come out.

At this point, as a person with family onboard.... I would not doubt that they deliberately kept them out of range to prevent a torrent of reports from the ship to loved ones on shore that CCL would not be able to prevent ending up at the news networks, and roasting their goose further.

Does anyone out there have a reliable location of the ship as of this evening?

So how are all of these people and news companies talking to the passengers? They are not nor have they been in cell rang for a long time. I mean some are saying they spoke to their families yesterday. How is what I would like to know.

Most of the reports were from Monday and there were several posted in this thread. Haven't heard too many from Tuesday.

This is her original quote:

Whether it is physically possible (doubtful) or not, it is a ridiculous and uncaring suggestion. She may not have meant for it to sound like that, but that is how it came across.

1) Me=Man

2) That quote comes from a post responding to someone else, which came from a post responding to me, which came from a post responding to someone else:

For a synopsis, the debate was on how much lost work people had suffered and whether the compensation was enough. We were debating the amount and how it translated to people's earnings. The argument came up about how many days of work people missed, I said that people had missed four days of work. My worthy opponent had stated that it was a full week and thus the $500 would not come close to covering some peoples wages. I stated that it was difficult to work a full day on Monday, they stated that it was possible to work a full day on Monday. So I said, it was also possible to work Friday in this situation (not that it is the same, just that it is in fact possible). The debate was about compensation not about whether people would work Monday or Friday.

My thought was right now, as I understand the situation, I think the compensation is fair. I think the $500+returned money, will likely cover a decent amount of lost revenue and extra expenses. Conditions could have gotten worse and things could change in terms of arrival, but those are my thoughts.

At this point, as a person with family onboard.... I would not doubt that they deliberately kept them out of range to prevent a torrent of reports from the ship to loved ones on shore that CCL would not be able to prevent ending up at the news networks, and roasting their goose further.

The USCG said they were 108 miles off Mobile this afternoon.

A report on a fox local tv station said they would stay at Dauphin island about 50 miles off shore, overnight, and enter the harbor by day.

Does anyone have more definite info?

I doubt any of the passengers care about those things right now. A shower and hot meal is probably highest on their lists of wants.

Showers have been available in forward and some midship cabins according to a Carnival report on, I believe it was, Tuesday.

I hope she realizes that EMT's and Paramedics are about the same as nurses and doctors.

(Not directed at you!)

Really???? I disagree

I think you wrote earlier on this thread your husband is a first responder

So probably a Medic ....... Does he think he is an MD

And Im writing this question with no malice, Just curious

By the way, I was on that very same 4 day cruise on Triumph this time about a year ago. I would not at all call it a Booze Cruise, even though that is what one would expect. There was not the heavy drinking party atmosphere the stereotypes would suggest... quite a few older people and some families with children just having a nice time. It was more of a nice relaxing weekend getaway than you would expect.

And... the ship was very nice and clean and appeared well maintained. The food and service were also excellent, actually better IMO than on the very popular Ecstasy that Triumph replaced on this route. People should not jump to conclusions that this ship is an old rustbucket, it is not.

Does anyone know if Carnival has other ships somewhere in the world to replace a ship like this? that Galveston to Cozumel trip is very popular and I can't see how they could not put another ship in its place?

The Triumph was due to dock at Galveston on Monday so I don't believe that many people intended to debark and go to work on Monday so this can not be counted as a day of work missed.

When at first it was announced that Carnival would book hotel rooms in Mobile and New Orleans, there were instant remarks on this thread about who would get rooms in Mobile instead of N.O. and derogatory statements were already being made about the way Carnival was going to handle this.

Now that Carnival has announced that they are still booking about 500 rooms in Mobile and the remainder in New Orleans because Mobile doesn't have enough rooms, posters are still complaining because Carnival is going to use the rooms in Mobile for the crew and other Carnival workers who have to work on the ship daily and are sending the passengers to rooms in New Orleans where there are plenty of rooms available.

Do those posters actually think it would be better to send the crew to New Orleans and have them commute back to Mobile daily?

And have you checked the prices of hotels in New Orleans and Mobile? The rooms I have checked are more expensive in New Orleans.

It makes a lot more sense to bus everyone to New Orleans to a few hotels then pick them up the next day and bring them to the airport than it does to bus people to different hotels all around the Mobile area Thursday, then pick them up Friday morning and bus them again all the way to the New Orleans airport where they would probably arrive 2 hours later than if they stayed in New Orleans.

Yikes - think a new thread should be created for its arrival into port on Thursday, February 14, 2013??????

Media chaos / video chaos / photo chaos - I think the links to Youtube, links to instagram, links to Flickr, links to shutterfly, links to smugmug, etc. are going to overwhelm this thread.

Thoughts?

Best guess was somewhere 50+ miles off the coast...

I really hope that isn't the case (that they stayed away from cell signals) (wouldn't shock me if it was). I would hope they would get as close to shore as safe then come into port as quickly as possible (I know nothing about the tides or the best place to put the ship for the night). I hope your family is safe and that they are able to get off tomorrow and call you first thing. Hopefully, conditions have improved since Monday... Sometimes when we've got nothing else, we just gotta have hope.

The issue in my mind is that these ships are poorly designed. All the electrical power generation is in one space and if that space is flooded or has a fire then everyone one onboard is screwed. It's obvious that these ships (Splendor, Triumph and Concordia) are designed with insufficient redundancy as far as damage control goes. These ships are very similar in design and that appears to be the common flaw here.

I gave up on sailing Carnival last year due to poor service and food (just too many cutbacks), but it's obvious if any of these ships of that common design have a major engineering casualty, then almost all power is lost. I am not sure how other companies design their ships as far as redundant power sources, however, it's obvious that Carnival Corporation cut corners here to save on shipbuilding cost!

I recognize and sympathize your extreme frustration, worry, and concern. But it seems doubtful to me that CCL would purposely delay the inevitable. Whether it happens tonight or tomorrow, it is going to happen.

CCL's actions on Sunday and Monday indicate, to me at least, that they have no interest is preventing passenger contact with the outside world. I'm referring of course to the fact that when Elation and Legend were nearby passengers were able to get calls and text through to loved ones.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=C6FN5

I've been using this particular tracker since Saturday....

Yikes - think a new thread should be created for its arrival into port on Thursday, February 14, 2013??????

Media chaos / video chaos / photo chaos - I think the links to Youtube, links to instagram, links to Flickr, links to shutterfly, links to smugmug, etc. are going to overwhelm this thread.

Thoughts?

I think this thread will die down shortly after the ship docks.

A lot of the energy in this thread comes from piecing the story together, conjecture, and arguing. With so many first hand accounts available the piecing together and conjecture should fade away. The arguing however will go on. ;)

Showers have been available in forward and some midship cabins according to a Carnival report on, I believe it was, Tuesday.

I would hope so because the Elation would be returning to NOLA tomorrow morning. Because the two ships will be so close the Elation could dockup with the Triumph again and give some cooked food and cell service.

Got some friends on the Elation right now and waiting to hear what they saw.

I was watching Brian Williams KNBC news story on the "chaos". They talked to one woman who's mother was on the Triumph, she said she wanted to curl up in a fetal position over what her Mom is going through.:rolleyes:

Seriously? You have got to be kidding me?

I have been reading posts about the ship getting close to areas where there may be cell phone reception. Since there are no new updates here, I am assuming that has not happened yet. Do you think Carnival would keep them out of cell phone range on purpose? I am sure they are not looking forward to the reports that will come out.

Cell phones work when another ship comes near, like they do when dropping off supplies

Archived