Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I don't think it reasonable to assume that passengers would not share their functioning shower.

If water is running then the waste system is also working so the chances of waste backing out of a shower approaches nil. Towels might have to be reused, but each person should have a beach towel and a bath towel which would account for two showers.

Cold is a relative term. My experience in the Caribbean is that even on a perfectly running ship the water out of the "cold" tap is warm to the touch after the first few seconds. With no air conditioning I would expect the water to be quite warm. Certainly showers will not be great without hot water, but they won't be cold.

I thinks it's very reasonable to assume that they wouldn't. I'm guessing very few people would invite a complete stranger into their cabin, let alone their bathroom. With no power the bathroom door would have to be left open. I'm not going to leave a stranger in my cabin with my stuff while I'm not there, and without being able to close the bathroom door, well, no thanks.

I also think it's reasonable to assume there are no clean towels as they've been used for other purposes.

Your idea of warm is obviously very different than mine, and I suspect most people's.

great! a patch job may not be the best thing right now in terms of Carnival's reputation....They would do best to perform the repairs correctly

I wasn't suggesting any type of patch job. My guess is that the Triumph will be at least a couple months being repaired, but it would take even longer than that to reassign another ship to take its place, given that itineraries, bookings, port arrangements, etc. are booked far in advance.

I think this thread will die down shortly after the ship docks.

A lot of the energy in this thread comes from piecing the story together, conjecture, and arguing. With so many first hand accounts available the piecing together and conjecture should fade away. The arguing however will go on. ;)

Don't forget the press will be at the pier with open checkbooks ready to pay-big time-for stories.

Hubby works for ABC. They had a helicopter fly over today. Look out for 20/20 on Friday.

Die down right away....not so sure.

Not sure it should till they learn. If Carnival is going to have this problem every 2 years or so, they should at least have better sanitary solutions than..........zip lock bags!!

I admit I have never been a fan of Carnival. Will someone give me the list of non-Carnival ships which have had problems as severe as this-multiple times.

In many states, and on the National Registry, paramedics are included among EMTs. An EMT may be basic, intermediate, or paramedic (EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P); if the EMT is also a member of the National Registry, s/he puts "NR" at the beginning of the acronym. The exact terminology varies among the different states.

My husband has taken the national test, he does not use "NR" in front of EMT.

I think you are correct that it varies by state.

Folks at work are coming up to me because we cruise regularly (and were on the Triumph in December to boot), and going on and on about how they would never get on a ship, and how no one would ever be able to cruise on the Triumph again, blah, blah, blah.

And don't you know the news media is going to use their "stupid" meters to find the dumbest, loudest, most over-dramatic people on board once the ship docks and the passengers disembark?

Of course not--that's my point. My husband is an EMT. He doesn't think he's a medic, and is very careful not to ever overstep what he is legally allowed to do--even though in some cases he's received the appropriate training to know how to do more.

EMT's aren't medics anymore than nurses are doctors. The quote implied that EMT's and medics are the same medical authority. They are not.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37115530&postcount=3479

That is why I asked a question I didnt see any sarcasm in you post

Good for your husband. hopefully he is working towards FF or has a good medic he is assisting to help trian him and further his career and not just doing the midnight conhome runs ;)

I agree. The timing of the announcement of the $500 additional compensation seems planned to help deaden the impact of the disastrous stories that are going to come out tomorrow. When Gerry admitted that conditions were "challenging", that's an indication that they're extremely bad.

Yep. "Challenging" is corporate-speak for "this is a complete cluster**** and we are screwed."

I don't think compensation should be one size fits all, it should be based on actual losses plus a one size fits all "pain and suffering" payment. I think it's an insult to offer someone who makes $100K a year a $500 payment. That's not even a day and a half of lost income.

But the person making 100K likely is not an hourly employee. The loss is much greater if you're not salaried. As an exempt employee, my loss would be limited to a couple of days' vacation time - no salary lost.

This will make me think twice about ever taking a cruise again, especially on Carnival.

Don't give up on cruising----just choose your cruiselines carefully based on what is important to you. Each has it's own charm/personalty.

I will never complain about those frequent crew drills in port anymore!

The report I heard said there were only 5 bathrooms working on the entire ship. I seriously doubt the showers are working anywhere.

My recollection is that on the 11th a Carnival said that power had been restored to the forward part of the ship, the forward elevators were operational, all forward cabins had power and water, all public toilets were working, and some midship cabins had power and water.

You've got to be kidding. Please say you are.

Nope, I am not kidding....I am Dead Serious!!!!

CCL has been worse than useless, 1 call a day from a pre-recorded msg, that only reveals what I have allready leaarned through the media, or here on this site. When you call ther "number" the persons answereing the phones are clueless!!!!!

I agree. The timing of the announcement of the $500 additional compensation seems planned to help deaden the impact of the disastrous stories that are going to come out tomorrow. When Gerry admitted that conditions were "challenging", that's an indication that they're extremely bad.

I do agree that the term "very challenging" suggests bad conditions on board that they'd rather not talk about. Could also be that after the second "ship adrift" incident in a few years, CCL feels it needs to go above and beyond to protect its reputation.

Of note is that they didn't offer $500 additional compensation for the Splendor incident.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37115530&postcount=3439

That is why I asked a question I didnt see any sarcasm in you post

Good for your husband. hopefully he is working towards FF or has a good medic he is assisting to help trian him and further his career and not just doing the midnight conhome runs ;)

He's a volunteer and doesn't have any desire to pursue it further and definitely doesn't want to be a FF (he has a career in the I/T sector), but thanks for your kind words.

I thinks it's very reasonable to assume that they wouldn't. I'm guessing very few people would invite a complete stranger into their cabin, let alone their bathroom. With no power the bathroom door would have to be left open. I'm not going to leave a stranger in my cabin with my stuff while I'm not there, and without being able to close the bathroom door, well, no thanks.

I also think it's reasonable to assume there are no clean towels as they've been used for other purposes.

Your idea of warm is obviously very different than mine, and I suspect most people's.

Carnival has stated that the forward cabins and some midship cabins have power. Stubborn insistence that this is not so is puzzling.

We know enough to know they aren't having a good time, but not how bad is it really is or isn't. Of the 3100 passengers on board, only a few seem to have made calls that have gone public. The ones here on CC seem to run the gamut from "It's bad but we're coping" to " The only thing that could make this worse would be zombies".

According to the news media, nothing is going right and people are swimming in their own filth and eating food we wouldn't feed to farm animals. Every report seems to indicate that it's a regular Lord of the Flies type of environment on board right now. Keep in mind that the old saying is true "If it bleeds, it leads". Who wants to see a story that says "Meh, it could be worse."?

I'm going to reserve judgement until we hear from a bigger cross section of passengers and videos start getting posted to Youtube.

Nope, I am not kidding....I am Dead Serious!!!!

CCL has been worse than useless, 1 call a day from a pre-recorded msg, that only reveals what I have allready leaarned through the media, or here on this site. When you call ther "number" the persons answereing the phones are clueless!!!!!

Not sure what you expect from the phone bank people, but it's obvious that Carnival did not learn any lessons in media communications from the Splendor incident.

But the person making 100K likely is not an hourly employee. The loss is much greater if you're not salaried. As an exempt employee, my loss would be limited to a couple of days' vacation time - no salary lost.

Vacation time has value, not to mention some people might not have had vacation time left to use.

If the delay were caused by weather or a volcano I would agree with you, but this is not an act of God.

Archived