Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I agree, Carcinval should have put people up in Mobile. As someone who has lived there, I see no reason that it could not have been accomadated, but I think the Carnival offices and the governmental offices of mobile do not see eye to eye since Carnival pulled out of Mobile. This was a slap in the face to the Mobile city who was left holding a huge new docking center built specifically for Carnival, and now with no ship.

That is the one thing I currently see that could have been done differently, but othersiwse they are making the best of a terrible situation.

Haven't RCCL not crashed one of their ships into a Carnival one (sure it was the Legend) in the Caribbean somewhere. Or was it the other way around? There is a video of it on YouTube.

Other way around

That wasn't human error that caused the crash, it was a massive gust of wind that caught the ship broadside and pushed her into the RCl ship.

Weather isn't cooperating. I'm no expert, but I think they really screwed the pooch when they chose to go to Mobile instead of Progreso.

Are you watching CNN? I don't see how they can navigate the channel with the weather the way it is...

Nope. Not looking good. Can't get the ship lines up right.

Just got a call from my friend Nancy who is onboard. She seems in pretty good spirits although she said conditions were gross.

She is reporting that three people died on the cruise? One in the engine room fire? She also says that the Customs and Immigration people have boarded the ship and that there were people inspecting and flushing the toilets she thinks it may have been the Coast Guard. I guess we will find it all out for sure later today.

Carnival claims no fatalities. If they are lying about that, then this all becomes criminal.

I would be interested to hear all of the arm chair quarterbacks hear tell me how Carnival could have handled this situation much differently.

I have heard some say that passengers should have been transferred to another ship. Obviously this statement was made by someone who has no idea the dangers and difficulties in doing something like this between a large ship with no propulsion or stabilazation. Not to mention what would have to be done with people's luggage and the logisitcs of getting that stuff back to them in an effecient and timely manner.

I have heard complaints about taking the ship to Mobile and whynot somewhere else. Well, those decisions were likely made by the people running the salvage boats based upon the prevailing winds and currents and the diffculty in taking a powerless ship of this size thru a narrow waterway into the port, such as the excursion from the Gulf into the port of New Orleans.

Many are suggesting that these folks need to be put into a position to take a shower before being bused to their hotels. Do you have any idea how long something like this would take? or the lgoistics of providing hot water and soap for over 3000 people? Imagine someone taking a long hot shower while others wait in line to get their turn. Folks are complaining about waiting in line to get a sandwich, and you want to subject them to this?

I am really amazed at the "sue" mentality of people and how a company who was providing a vacation service to people is ready to be sacrificed at the altar of the courts for a few measly dollars that will likely mostly go to the lawyers.

I for one would be happy that I was alive considering the implications of what happened. I have traveled extensively in some third world countries and I know that these should not be compared, but the stench of sewage is not going to kill them, and certainly is not worthy of lawsuit.

BRAVO!!! Well said. :)

The narrow channel and current info now on CNN...oh my..makes a 4 football wide channel and this "windage" issue just horribly tough navigation...the need to communicate more to keep the people on ship more aware...if they knew more info a day ahead of time of what it would take to get there and the whys..some of these issues...I would want to know what to wrap my mind around to gut it out and do my best then just let go and pray and help with companionship and support of getting myself and folks home...

Just got a call from my friend Nancy who is onboard. She seems in pretty good spirits although she said conditions were gross.

She is reporting that three people died on the cruise? One in the engine room fire? She also says that the Customs and Immigration people have boarded the ship and that there were people inspecting and flushing the toilets she thinks it may have been the Coast Guard. I guess we will find it all out for sure later today.

If their we're deaths I am sure they are trying to stay quiet until next of kin can be notified...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know this because I DO work in the healthcare field, and specifically in infectious disease. The smell of sewage is not dangerous. ingesting fetid water or contaminated items is completely different.

So you must know that raw sewage spilling down walls and on the floors as described presents a health hazard? The reason the ship smells of sewage is because it apparently is uncontrolled hence the health concern. So while the smell in and of itself may not present a health hazard, the spilled sewage around the ship creating the stench most certainly does.

One of the events you reference was clearly human error. A stand-down would be pointless for this.

I'm not sure it's valid to suggest a trend based on two incidents occurring three years apart and involving equipment designed and built nearly a decade apart. But the Bahamian Maritime Authority with the aid of the NTSB will produce an exhaustive report on the Triumph mishap and that will surely provide a starting point for corrective action. Standing down 90 vessels seems like overkill until these reports are in.

How can a mechanical failure NOT be human error? It is either going to be a poor design, poor maintence, poor inspection or failure to replace when required. I guess the only time a mechanical failure could not be contributed to human error were if a natural disaster occured, tidal wave, hurricane, something that allowed water or wind to damage mechinical parts. But this was not due to a nature disaster, so it pretty much has to be human error somewhere along the way.

I was on the Splendor when it caught fire and drifted so have been following this story with great interest. I have an idea of how these people feel and what they are going through. They have it worse in that our toilets were only out for 24-36 hours, not the entire voyage, and although our AC was also out, it wasn't as hot where we were. And we were fortunate enough to have good weather.

Apart from lack of basic facilities, lining up hours for "food" (as did we) and having, if you're very lucky, cold showers the worst thing is the absolute boredom. There is nothing to do. No TV/movies to watch. No Internet. You can't read at night because it's dark. You can't eat out of boredom because there is nothing to eat. The smell of rotten food is bad enough - if you have to compound that with human waste on their ship I can't even begin to imagine what it's like. The highlight of our journey was the morning we knew we were pulling into San Diego - at least it was over. And our voyage ended in a city that could handle the 4,000 extra people at once. I can't imagine how these people feel now if it is true, as has been reported, that they might now be delayed another day. I hope this nightmare is over for them all soon and everyone is okay.

I flew 747s and will take the 747 engine fire any day. Airlines are well maintained (have to),There are two seperate fire supression systems on each engine and the rare engine fires

while serious are usually put out in seconds and the aircrafty can fly for hours after the event.

Who in their right mind would ever consider a Carnival cruise again?

Look at this live coverage on CNN -- absolutely horrendous. It's always a Carnival ship or Carnival-owned ship that's having issues.

I'll stick with Royal. They know their stuff.

It does seem that that Carnival has a string of bad luck.

This it the last thing they needed. They are already looking at $500MM tab on the salvage work going on off Italy. And if that operation fails watch out. This company could be in big trouble.

I’ve been on 10 cruises. All but 3 on CC. I’ve had nothing but wonderful experiences with Carnival but I’m not going to push my luck anymore.

You know how many people complain about the costs of the sruise already, yet the comapnies are tasked with turning over the ship in a matter of hours, providing a clean hotel like environment and decent food for the guests. Every cruise I have ever been on I see people who run on board and head for the buffet like it is a feeding trough. I have seen people run over others to get in line at the pizza or burger lines, and this is during a normal cruise. I cannot imagine how people would act in the current situation. Most of the choas is probably being created by the passengers if you want to know the truth.

A lawsuit to force CCL to do something differently is not something to help anyone. Reguslations should come down for all the cruise lines. I know of a couple recently who were to depart on a very expensive cruise out of Miami on another line. When they got to their room they discovered the bed was infested with bed bugs. They left the ship and came home. I probably would have asked to have another oom and if it was in the same shape I might have left, but that was their perogative.

Anyone not willing to spend an extra $5-10 per day for a safer ship is playing with fire.

I saw the trough scenario on my first DCL and my RCCL cruise. We didn't get to the buffet on my second DCL cruise until everyone else was long gone so I can't say. There was zero "troughing" on my Windstar cruises.

Weather isn't cooperating. I'm no expert, but I think they really screwed the pooch when they chose to go to Mobile instead of Progreso.

Are you watching CNN? I don't see how they can navigate the channel with the weather the way it is...

The live pictures are showing relatively calm seas so it's just the wind that may be causing problems. CNN reports that Triumph is traveling at less than a knot.

I expect Progreso / Mobile will be debated for years.

Archived