Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Hard to tell when the camera is so far away. Looks like it could just be a lighting effect too. I would guess optical illusion based on the earlier shots.

More concerned that the window may be closing on them getting in tonight. They pretty much need to get most of the way across Mobile Bay before dark. Not feeling confident that they make it unless the get back under way in the next 30 minutes.

I know. Those poor people. I'm including the crew in that, too. Everyone must be exhausted. :(

The tow rope did break and damaged one of the boats, but luckily, no one was inured.

Wasn't Progresso closer at one point? And of course, due to passport issues, they chose not to dock there.... which leads me to believe that in the near future, passports will be mandatory on ALL cruises, for such an occasion of breaking down. Don't know about you all, but I always travel with my passport! Never know when it will come in handy.

Passports weren't the only issue; the currents were a bigger issue, according to Carnival. The tow would have supposedly been more difficult to progreso because of currents.

If Carnival thinks the only (cash) compensation they will have to pay out is $500 per person they are in for quite a shock. The lawsuits will be massive. They will be lucky (very lucky) if they only have to pay out $10,000 per passenger, especially after this latest snafu where the passengers look like they will have to spend yet another night on that hot smelly ship overflowing with raw sewage.

On the live feed, the list looks like it's becoming more pronounced (looking at the whale tail and the bow)-- and the ship is actually moving backward. I don't understand WHY they only had one tug out there and now their line snapped and they're hosed for even longer. This is just insane...

ETA: Wow, look at that! Really does look like tent city on those pics from the Houston station!

You really want to take a ship with no power under the Sunshine Skyway bridge on a breezy & rainy day... then two hours to dock in a narrow channel?

I have never sailed from Tampa and was not aware of the logistical problems of docking there. I didn't know there was a problematic bridge or a narrow channel. I was merely asking if it was an option, seeing as how they seem to be having such a difficult time getting to Mobile.

On the live feed, the list looks like it's becoming more pronounced (looking at the whale tail and the bow)-- and the ship is actually moving backward. I don't understand WHY they only had one tug out there and now their line snapped and they're hosed for even longer. This is just insane...

There are four tugs on scene. Only one tug can actually pull the ship forward, though. If you have two tugs trying to pull the ship forward, they will crash into each other. Instead they have one tug pulling, one tug dragging behind for steering, and two tugs on the sides to keep the ship straight-ish.

There are four tugs on scene. Only one tug can actually pull the ship forward, though. If you have two tugs trying to pull the ship forward, they will crash into each other. Instead they have one tug pulling, one tug dragging behind for steering, and two tugs on the sides to keep the ship straight-ish.

I was only seeing what looked like one tug at the front and a pilot boat on the side on the live feed. Thanks for clarifying!

It also looks like, on the live feed, that there's smoke coming from the whale tail. Is that an optical illusion?

So can someone help me with this question.

I understand why they aren't tendering people. However, why aren't they using the emergency boats already on the ship? They don't have to worry about people walking across a plank. 40 miles out, they could be to shore in just a few hours.

I presume you mean why don't they get everyone to their muster stations and abandon ship. This would involve even more risk than using the lifeboats as tenders. Google Thomson Majesty.

Not trying to bash here, but CEO said in his press conference that passengers were given updates every hour. It appears this did NOT happen. It has been reported by someone on board several points and this was point 8 as told to her husband:

"8. Her biggest complaint was that Carnival was not updating them very much. I knew much more then her! "

This does not bode well at all.

Indeed. the misinformation campaign from Carnival will come back to bite them

I have never sailed from Tampa and was not aware of the logistical problems of docking there. I didn't know there was a problematic bridge or a narrow channel. I was merely asking if it was an option, seeing as how they seem to be having such a difficult time getting to Mobile.

Only the smaller ships can sail under the Skyway Bridge which crosses the bay between St. Petersburg and Bradenton and they have to wait until low tide to do so. I've sailed on the Carnival Legend & Miracle out of Tampa, and its pretty cool

What we are seeing on our news here in Chciago within the past fifteen minutes is that a line from the tugboat snapped and they are drifting again.

They can see Alabama shores. Passengers are hanging help & SOS signs from the balcony's.

We prayer for them that do not have to endure anymore..

What I have seen here in the last few days is that no matter what is done, people will criticize and bash Carnival for it. Jesus!!! Even because the ship has rotated in the area I see people here flaming Carnival for choosing Mobile. On CNN they had a quite detailed explanation on what it takes to get the ship into the channel. It's complex enough for a ship under power to get in, imagine a huge ship with no power and the wind pushing against it. They are fighting against the wind to get ship in position. Let them do their job and stop criticizing from your armchairs.

Actually, both can happen simtaneously.

I also don't believe any discussions here will be used as advise to the conclusion of this saga. Again, this is a message board. It is not real life.

If Carnival thinks the only (cash) compensation they will have to pay out is $500 per person they are in for quite a shock. The lawsuits will be massive. They will be lucky (very lucky) if they only have to pay out $10,000 per passenger, especially after this latest snafu where the passengers look like they will have to spend yet another night on that hot smelly ship overflowing with raw sewage.

Ch3 in Pensacola had a Maritime Atty on this morning with the whole Carnival 12 page contract you sign. He said that its been proven in court, more than once, that bascially the only way they are libel for anything would be personal injury due to their negligence. Duress and mental anguish have never held up in court. Actually they dont even have to, by law, or contract, refund your trip money.

I think the same has already been mentioned on here.

I was more amazed at the 12 page contract. I have never seen it, but guess its available.

Again I'm not a lawyer......

billd

Trip Advisor "stars" aren't reliable as they are based on experience and nothing more. So someone happy in a Motel 6 could give it five stars, when we know the reality is that there is no Motel 6 that would get five stars. You need to look at AAA diamonds or Mobil/Michelin stars to assess the type of hotel it is. There might be a handful of four star hotels in Mobile, there are none that are five stars in the entire state.

TA is an EXCELLENT souce of hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc.. I'd probably say it is number one in the WORLD.... I know all about AAA and dropped that archaic organization probably 20 years ago... probably time

to modernize research websites... :rolleyes:

Archived