Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I have been trying to read everything but its been quite difficult!

I have to say this however, I've caught bits and pieces of info from CNN today and I want to say that the crew on board would not have much more information than the guests and are only following what they being told they need to do!

I'm not saying that anyone here is being negative about the crew just voicing what I know!!!

The crew (not the officers) are in a bad spot. They have to deal with horrific living conditions and then deal with passengers who are understandibly upset about the events and keep on working. I feel very sorry for them and I don't want one person to state that it's their choice.

but their ships have problems. We were on the Legend in Feb of 2010 that lost an engine when Captain Ego showed off, and yes I believe that he drug the boat and it was, ahem, glossed over. I am a believer in odds, but also track record. While in general the crews of Carnival are friendly and fun, there are serious management shortfalls with particular regard to maintenance that must be addressed. This affects the whole industry. Royal will now likely take a financial hit as cruising has been given a massive black eye. Yet the experience when done properly is not something just to walk away from.

Cruising provides a unique experience, a chance to relax and bond, and see new places, all for often less than a flight only to a destination would be. You can meet people, and learn a lot on ship. So I would hope that Americans refrain from a knee jerk reaction and don't cripple the industry. Things happen, they just do. I am relatively certain that this experience will inform the entire industry of both how to prevent and respond to future similar occurrences, hopefully rare, and that like with any grand progress comes stumbling blocks. Over time I expect we will see solar powered ships, thus negating the bulk of the issue, a lack of power. This is doable in the near future. Until that point, while we enjoy cruising, we might stick to coastal huggers, like the Boston/Canada run or the California wine trip.

[quote name='lawyerboy5555']What happened to CNN's live feed? We were getting good footage, and now all of the footage is painfully far away.[/QUOTE]

The smell was so intense they had to pull back:D

Machines break, now I ask you. Would you rather be in a 747 at 35000 feet and have engine fires or would you rather be on this cruise ship and have engine fires.

Really sick and tired of the media blowing this out of proportion!!! Things happen occasionally in life and people need to deal with the fact that things dont always go as planned. Yes I'm sure ppl were scared for a while but the boat is not sinking and no one's life is in danger. So they haven't had a shower or a hot meal in a few days....BIG DEAL!! Go camping for a week....no shower or hot meals and you probably don't have a toilet either. These ppl are not starving or in any danger. Has our society gotten so soft that we cant stand a few days on a cruise ship without hot food or running water??? Get over it ppl and toughen up a bit. You would have never survived in our grandparents days during WWII.

The difference being that when you are camping you are choosing to subsist off easy meals (which by the way, you don't have to wait hours for), use the restroom outdoors and sleep in the open air and you know how long you will be out there. Also worth mentioning, when camping you generally aren't dealing with those conditions with 3,000 other people. It's not the same at all. I can't imagine the folks traveling with small children or babies. At least if you are running low on supplies you can easily get back to civilization to restock.

I have talked to my wife numerous times today and this is what she said!

1. They did have to wait in line for hours for food.

2. They have been living on bread and fruit

3. They were sleeping on the deck under sheets made into tents. She called it "Shanty Town"

4. The crew has been working non stop to make them comfortable!

5. They had use bags for restrooms, but they also found random toilets that were working because there was a long line! They had to wait for that restroom because after every person the crew had to poor water to get it to flush.

6. There is sewage on the floors. The carpets were squishy.

7. She said the worst part of it was worrying about the babies. Last night Carnival made an announcement looking for anyone with formula!

8. Her biggest complaint was that Carnival was not updating them very much. I knew much more then her!

Definitely other way around. In the past few years, Carnival hasn't had a very good record wrt collisions with other ships. Legend crashed into the docked Enchantment of the Seas in Cozumel. In Puerto Vallerta, Splendor crashed into the docked Radiance of the Seas. In Key West, Fantasy crashed into the docked Imagination.

One of the Carnival Corp ships hit another ship in China.

If memory serves a Carnival ship hit one from Royal Caribbean. A couple of weeks later a Royal Caribbean ship had an argument with a pier. Could have been the other way round. Sure made for interesting reading on CC. Lots of crow eaten on both sides.

:D

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3462

3. They were sleeping on the deck under sheets made into tents. She called it "Shanty Town"

5. They had use bags for restrooms, but they also found random toilets that were working because there was a long line! They had to wait for that restroom because after every person the crew had to poor water to get it to flush.

7. She said the worst part of it was worrying about the babies. Last night Carnival made an announcement looking for anyone with formula!

8. Her biggest complaint was that Carnival was not updating them very much. I knew much more then her!

Thanks for the update. I know that your wife will be very happy when she sets foot on solid ground.:)

Cruise lines spend millions on publicity...to entice the public with fun commercials that show sumptious food, gorgeous ships, people having the time of their lives. They spend that money because it drives business: in short, PR works.

For those of you whothink this story will be just a blip, something the general public could care less about...you are right to a degree. But you are wrong in the way that counts MOST to the cruise line. This is millions and millions of dollars of air time, print time, prime time interviews, the morning shows...a budget no cruise line could possibly afford...and ALL of this PR will be negative.

It is a PR disaster,not because Carnival is an inferior cruise line, but because their handling of this terrible situation seems to indicate the bottom line trumps concern for these customers. The "busing to NOLA" might make BUSINESS SENSE but it does not make PEOPLE SENSE. It reeks of a lack of compassion and a sparcity of common sense. Anyone who puts themselves in these peoples places, tries to imagine their discomfort and what tney have been through, would think that there should be rooms ready in BOTH places...so whatever any individual needed...Carnival would be sensitive enough to provide.

Are they to ride the buses in stinking clothes, perhaps stained with feces, urine, vomit? How many people might already be sick....are they to be herded like cattle?

This is milions of dollars of horrific publicity...not just with questions about maitenance of the ships,but Carnival's LOYALTY to those who choose them, who cruise their ships. If their choices were limited as to how to handle the fiasco onboard,they are only limited by MONEY as to how to handle on land. At this point, a free cruise on Carnival probably has little appeal to some onboard. If you suffered several days in the hospital from food poisoning, not everyone is thrilled to rush back for a "free" dinner in the same hideous place. Not everyone who is on a plane that has to crash land, is jumping for joy at a chance to board another flight. Yes, the jealous ones who are spitting mad because someone got something, they DID NOT... see this differently.

BUT take care of these poor people AS SOON AS THEY return..in whatever way,THEY WANT.

All the millions on commericals going forward is chump change to the VALUE of the negative vile image of the Carnival "publicity"we are about to see.

Are any of the cheerleaders willing to step up and say that Larry, the man giving the live interview on CNN from the ship, is a liar when he says there is sewage in the halls and dripping down the walls from cabins above?

That would be first hand information, why would you doubt that?

Splendor crashed into the docked Radiance of the Seas. .

We were on the Radiance when the Splendor came in hot. The Skipper of the Splendor the next day was airlifted with chest pain.

Side note we were on the Mariner 7 weeks later, again in PV, when the fake phone threat happened

Cruise lines spend millions on publicity...to entice the public with fun commercials that show sumptious food, gorgeous ships, people having the time of their lives. They spend that money because it drives business: in short, PR works.

For those of you whothink this story will be just a blip, something the general public could care less about...you are right to a degree. But you are wrong in the way that counts MOST to the cruise line. This is millions and millions of dollars of air time, print time, prime time interviews, the morning shows...a budget no cruise line could possibly afford...and ALL of this PR will be negative.

It is a PR disaster,not because Carnival is an inferior cruise line, but because their handling of this terrible situation seems to indicate the bottom line trumps concern for these customers. The "busing to NOLA" might make BUSINESS SENSE but it does not make PEOPLE SENSE. It reeks of a lack of compassion and a sparcity of common sense. Anyone who puts themselves in these peoples places, tries to imagine their discomfort and what tney have been through, would think that there should be rooms ready in BOTH places...so whatever any individual needed...Carnival would be sensitive enough to provide.

Are they to ride the buses in stinking clothes, perhaps stained with feces, urine, vomit? How many people might already be sick....are they to be herded like cattle?

This is milions of dollars of horrific publicity...not just with questions about maitenance of the ships,but Carnival's LOYALTY to those who choose them, who cruise their ships. If their choices were limited as to how to handle the fiasco onboard,they are only limited by MONEY as to how to handle on land. At this point, a free cruise on Carnival probably has little appeal to some onboard. If you suffered several days in the hospital from food poisoning, not everyone is thrilled to rush back for a "free" dinner in the same hideous place. Not everyone who is on a plane that has to crash land, is jumping for joy at a chance to board another flight. Yes, the jealous ones who are spitting mad because someone got something, they DID NOT... see this differently.

BUT take care of these poor people AS SOON AS THEY return..in whatever way,THEY WANT.

All the millions on commericals going forward is chump change to the VALUE of the negative vile image of the Carnival "publicity"we are about to see.

Agree and hopefully every other CEO of the other cruise lines are paying attention to this whole disaster and the way that it has been handled by Gerry Cahill and his crew. They can all learn a lot about NOT how to handle a situation like this.

After watching this ordeal, I think if I was designing a cruise ship, the one thing I would have is a redundant system to make damn sure the sewage system works. Ive been on ships all my life and its entirely possible, by making the system able to be isolated from the original operating system, but using the same piping. The problem is the commodes are vacuum flush and the holding tanks. Both need a power source to operate them. Give them there own axillary power source in the front of the ship or away from the engine rooms, to be used in case of emergency or if needed.

Money, a a bit of space and designer attitude are the only things that would be stopping this from happening.

In both CCL instances, if you take the sewage out of this equation it makes the rest seem rather tame.

Just thinking outta the box like I've been known to do once in a while.

billd

Uggers. Did I read it right than NONE of these people have a room to stay in in Mobile? They all have to go to NOLA, and all the rooms in Mobile are for Carnival shoreside personnel only?

My thoughts since early this AM...they need option 3....rest, food, hotel and shower there in Mobile for passengers...I think they are saying 2 options..Bus to Nola and flight tomorrow; which it will probably already be when there; or bus to Galveston.

Terrible..now they get there tonight late and have to keep going...that to me is also stopping interviews and info from passengers right away.

Machines break, now I ask you. Would you rather be in a 747 at 35000 feet and have engine fires or would you rather be on this cruise ship and have engine fires.

Given the number of commercial airplanes in the skies every day and the number of cruise ships on the water every day, and the number of incidents that each have had in the past 20 years, I'd argue that air travel is proportionally safer than cruising. Stronger government oversight of maintenance in aircraft is very likely a factor.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. From your wife's account and the reports on Facebook, it appears that the crew has been a true shining star in their efforts.

Can you believe it? Someone early on said the plane because the ground sanitation would be better:eek: Yes, someone said it.

Archived