Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

You haven't read the thread, have you, lol?:p

I'm stuck under 3 feet of snow too, didn't see a plow until 3:30 this morning and they plowed the driveway back in, and I certainly wouldn't trade places with anyone on that ship, passenger OR crew. I feel terrible for them. This cannot be fun in any stretch. Maybe okay for the first hour or a day, but not anymore. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly, and that can easily be seen as almost inevitable and unavoidable. :(

Just the horror of those moments from when you are informed there's a fire, and no where to go all of a sudden, and then realizing you may have to get in one of those boats? I would have aged ten years. Nothing can erase that.

I'll be interested in reading anyone that can do a minute by minute play and can write well.

Now that appears the Triumph will reach Mobile on Thursday will the passengers be given 3 extra days credit on their VIFP status?

I know this isn't the exact scenario, ... but

when our 'Sandy' cruise was cancelled (we never left the port), we were given credit for it.

I feel sorry for the passengers without a passport, but weren't they warned this is the very reason to GET ONE in the first place? We have always had them for everybody in the family just for this very purpose when cruisng, although air flight was not involved. Same as always, those that don't live by the rules will be the ones yelling most to have them broken FOR THEM.

Carnival needs to make this a cruis requirement, to protect idiots from themselves, as this DOES happen.

Sorry, but special circumstances call for special measures. As well as already in play.

And it's now all moot anyway, as the ship is heading for the U.S.

Just the horror of those moments from when you are informed there's a fire, and no where to go all of a sudden, and then realizing you may have to get in one of those boats? I would have aged ten years. Nothing can erase that.

I'll be interested in reading anyone that can do a minute by minute play and can write well.

I have no doubts there are quite a few people documenting as much as they can because any of it can sell, there is a hungry market for this in such places as Kindle E-books to youtube videos.

Most will be approached to not make public what is happening I also suspect.

I cant imagine living in conditions where 3000+ people have limited access to toilets for several days. And the mess it will be in when they are in port. Soft furnishings, bedding, curtains - everything likely to be inadvertently contaminated. Someone posted they'd rather be on a cruise like this, than at their work. They must have the worst job possible. Maybe they clean ships after crises like this.

Passengers were given bags & buckets.

Not sure how true this one is :cool:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Conditions-deteriorating-sewege-running-down-walls-on-stranded-Carnival-cruise-ship--190789381.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Being towed to Alabama is what I heard, but if thats correct why?

Carnival President and CEO Gerry Cahill said the ship has drifted about 90 miles north. “We had originally planned to tow the ship to Progreso, Mexico, the closest port to the ship’s location early Sunday. Since that time, the ship has drifted about 90 miles north due to strong currents. This now puts the ship nearly equidistant to Mobile, Alabama, and given the strength of the currents, it is preferable to head north to Mobile, rather than attempt to tow against them"

Those poor poor people, how many of them will actually be looking forward to a future free cruise after this? Traumatic experience for many, 5 days or more trapped with backwoods like conditions? I hope for those who feel that way, that they can get monetary compensation instead.

(I am giving my blessings for each and everyone of my modern day comforts right now.)

Also, thoughts go to their family, friends, SO's on the mainland who are not able to contact them for a while still yet....

Stay safe and sane Triumph PAX and crew! :(

PS I am thinking a River Cruise in Europe is looking mighty attractive....

It definitely makes me rethink any thoughts of a TA!

My goodness Carnival didn't want this to happen, its an accident, things happen just like things happen and accidents happen in all our lives everyday. Its a part of our daily living.

Just be glad it wasen't on a plane, she is safe, Carnival reimbursing full refunds plus their expenses they had onboard including the tips and giving equal cruise credit for another cruise. They will pay for all transportation for all passengers home and any fees they incur.

Its not the end of the world, she is safe she is coming home now that is whats most important. These things happen.

Of course they didn't want it to happen, it will shake stockholder confidence and hurt their bottom line. (If you think they care about anything else, don't kid yourself. They are a large corporation that exists for profit, nothing more, nothing less.)

The question remains, was it preventable? There is definitely some valid concern that it might have been.

Im thinking some will request it

But what about those that have booked this cruise to make Platinum:eek:

It's a pretty minor request in the big picture, and if that's what it takes to retain customer loyalty after an event like this, they'd be absolutely dense to not comply with the request.

Carnival President and CEO Gerry Cahill said the ship has drifted about 90 miles north. “We had originally planned to tow the ship to Progreso' date=' Mexico, the closest port to the ship’s location early Sunday. Since that time, the ship has drifted about 90 miles north due to strong currents. This now puts the ship nearly equidistant to Mobile, Alabama, and given the strength of the currents, it is preferable to head north to Mobile, rather than attempt to tow against them"[/quote']

People sleeping in tents out on the decks?

Sounds more like a Cuban migrant boat cruise to me.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, but I dont think anyone posted this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/stranded-carnival-cruise-ship-passengers-running-water-power/story?id=18463532&rss=rss-wabc-snippet-7091254

Apparently the ship is also listing. The article says its to be expected but any listing ship dead in the water would make me nervous.

Between there being a half dozen other cruise ships within a few hours of them, and the USCG being along side, if for some unforseen reason they needed to abandon ship, there would be immediate assistance available.

yep! given these circumstances, I'd rather be at work, also!!! I'm a CPS investigator!!

God bless you. I lasted in the CPS legal department for six months before I had enough and moved on to another type of law. What you guys see and deal with on a daily basis--well, people just have no idea how terrible people can be to children. The worst details of the worst cases never make it to the public. :(

The report I read said it was going to Alabama. It had drifted North 90 miles, and it would be much less complicated for passengers with no passports. Not to mention can you imagine how long it would take for 4000 people to fly from Progresso. How many flights could possibly go out of Progresso a day.

It looks like they typically handle about 20 flights (inbound and outbound combined) a day, although private planes vary the load. most are regional jets, I'm not seeing anything larger than a 737 landing there.

Weather conditions also make Mobile the better choice. Wind will be out of the S to SW the next couple of days but will shift to out of the NW later Wednesday to Thursday. The less you have to tug the ship directly into the wind and can use the wind, the quicker the trip will be. A New Orleans or Galveston route has more difficulties than a Mobile route. Plus, it also has an open cruise terminal that is not in use for other ships. Mobile does make the most sense for speed and lack of logistical conflicts. Not a great situation but will be easier than Mexico. Probably able to get everyone back to Galveston who needs to go back on Thursday if they get in early enough. It would have taken until Friday or Saturday to get everyone back from Mexico. Some folks may be able to just be bused to New Orleans for flights out with the really lucky ones being able to fly out of Mobile.

I agree that Mobile makes it a lot easier to get people home. It not only eliminates the international component, it also allows them to make more direct arrangements for people who don't need to go to Galveston to get their car.

I'm sailing on Carnival Magic on the 17th (also out of Galveston). I Noticed the available cabins go from lots to nothing in the space of 3 days between Friday and today. I'm guessing a lot of people who were supposed to sail next on the Triumph got bumped/switched onto our sailing.

The more the merrier!

They haven't switched anyone. They've been pulled from booking until they know whether the ship will actually sail. If they let people book it and have to cancel, that's more people they have to give that 25% discount to.

It's not looking good for March cruisers, sorry to say. I don't think we're going anywhere on the Triumph. And someone asked about those set to cruise 20-60 days out. We're still in the penalty phase. If we cancel, we'd be assessed the usual cancellation fees since our cruise hasn't been cancelled yet. My future SIL's parents tried to reschedule their 3/2 cruise to the Magic for the same week yesterday. Wouldn't let them do it without paying the penalties. But I also read a report around here somewhere of someone who was able to reschedule without penalty. So, as usual, it varies, but most have been told no go without paying the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

my ipad is almost and i will not be able to read all 50 plus pages before it dies. can anyone tel me what are they eating? can they cook? as a parent with a child with special food needs, how they handle these basic things is very imporant to me.

also, when it happened the last time, did people come back with stories, photos? or did they have to sign a non disclosure agreement?

They are feeding vegetable and cheese sandwiches, pastries, coffee, water, that's about it that we've been told. No cooking.

There's no way CCL can force people to sign a non-disclosure. To be honest, the media would pay far more for photos than what the cruise refund and future cruise credit are worth.

Solar panels will generate orders of magnitude less electricity than what a ship needs. Even if you want to have them for emergencies, you don't actually save anything because you will still need emergency generators to run at night. You might save some fuel for the generator, but the ship has more than enough fuel to burn for emergency power.

What they would provide is hot water for sanitation purposes--something that would be very useful right about now.

I don't see any issue with clearing Customs in Mobile vice Galveston. If the ships cruise was totally uneventful, all 900 without passports would still have to go thru the same procedure in Galveston as they will in Mobile, assuming they are US citizens. All that is required it that you clear customs at you first US port after having stepped on foreign soil. A passport, birthcertif or what ever you used to leave should work upon return. All your doing is telling the US government: Honey, I'm home, and I've been here and here and bought this and this....... All the foreign passengers probably will have less problem if you think about it.

My theory on why power is restored to more of the ship is this. The aft engine room is basically closed for business. Even if it could work, they wouldn't use it, because they have already used all there firefighting capability in that space, by punching off the CO2 or Halon system. Once you dump it, it all goes. If they were to use something in there again like a generator (assuming one worked) and you had another fire, you would be really screwed. So basically, you have half as many or less generators as you need. Think of it this way. That ship would never leave port without and operating emergency firefighting system. There not gonna be firing up a bunch of systems at sea, without that same system.

I've been in that same situation on a Coast Guard cutter for three days. It was fun at first but got old fast, and we only had about 70 of us and we were trained fro that kinda stuff.

The passengers should get double triple days on there VIFP card though!!

billd

Cant believe I've read every page.......my wife thinks I'm crazy

Not to mention that there is probably highly flammable hydraulic fluid all over that room at this point. Even if there was a fire suppression system still available, the last thing you'd want to do is start an engine or spark anything until that was cleaned up, or within minutes you'd have another fire on your hands.

Between the news on TV and the thread here, I have been reading and listening to everything.

I feel so sorry for all the passengers and crew going through this.

And now another day on the ship as she heads to Mobile.

Not only should Carnival require everyone to have a passport, I believe that all cruise lines should require all passengers have passports no make how long the cruise is or whether it is a closed loop cruise. JMO

Archived