Can you wear nice jeans?

izodlacoste

My brochure says that torn jeans are not allowed in the dining room but the website says "no jeans" Anyone know if you can wear nice jeans on the first night in the dining room? These are nice, expensive stylish jeans and are not ugly or raggedy so don't flame me

Feel free, lots of people do, including myself.

If you are neat, clean and like the way you look, enjoy.

I'm am sure that you will have others here state that you shouldn't on any circumstance wear jeans. Just remember it's your cruise, be comfortable, and you will be among plenty dressed the same.

Cheers,

Peter

Not that we really need another 20page thread on this topic but I don't understand why there is any debate at all.

Directly from Princess's cruise answers book :

----

We require passengers use cover-ups over bathing suits when

entering the ship’s public rooms. Also, jeans and shorts

are not permitted in the dining rooms during dinner.

-----

This is pretty clear and not really much room for debate. Jeans are not permitted in the dining room for dinner .. period. And in fact it says this in two different places explicitly.

Just because Princess doesn't highly enforce the rule does not mean it is not a rule. Do you like chair hogs ? No ? What they are doing is no worse then you wearing jeans to dinner both are violations of Princess's rules.

Saving a chair affect others looking for a place to sit. Someone wearing a pair of neat jeans affects no one.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm with you on this one Peter, saving a chair take one away from other cruiser where I could care less if someone wears jeans. I personally don't own a pair, but I saw an awful lot of them at dinner on our cruise on the Golden out of San Juan this past October. Must be a cultural thing as it seem like it was a lot of the locals wearing nice pressed jeans along with a beautiful top/shirt and nice shoes. I always had on a skirt or dress pants and it didn't bother me one bit that anyone else had jeans. While I'm on vacation I'm there to enjoy myself and worrying about what others are wearing just doesn't top my list at all!

Whatever you want to wear, as long as it is not dirty, is fine with me.

Anyway, most cruiselines DO allow jeans/shorts the first night due to some folks not receiving their luggage in time to change for dinner. This is usually notated in the Princess Patter.

Have a great cruise!

June

Go here for the latest 2005 Princess Cruise Answer Book to find answers to questions such as these... http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/ You can search on the site or download the book as a PDF file so you can print and read at your leisure. This is the book that is provided with your pre-cruise documents. Page 2 and 6 provides the answer to the OP's question.. "No Jeans allowed in the dining rooms during dinner.. "

The problem is Princess is not consistent in its statements about jeans. On the website FAQ about evening dress, it says, "Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, 'torn' jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room."

Most of the Princess website has not been updated in a long time. The definitive and correct information is provided in the 2005 Princess Cruise Answer Book that is sent with your pre-cruise documents. You can also download this book from the Princess Site.. http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer

The Standards are there for all to see, i.e., no jeans in the dining room. However, many people ignore that as well as many other standards and rules onboard the ship. Unfortunately, Princess doesn't apply these standards or rules and allows people to do what they want. On our recent Royal Princess cruise, there were some older teenagers who came dressed in sloppy, wrinkled shirts and rapper-like pants on Formal night and nothing was ever said.

In my book, smart casual is just that - casual clothing that makes you look "smart" or "in-style" or "sharp". Jeans are not what they used to be. I'm not planning on wearing K-Mart or Wal-Mart brand jeans, or Wranglers or anything like that. I'm not talking about baggy down to the backs of your knees jeans. I'm talking about great fitting, great looking, great big price-tag ($148 +++) jeans. I don't see a problem with pairing a pair of my dress jeans with a nice fitted jacket and a pair of heeled boots or sandals. I wear it all the time when we go out to nice restaurants.

I think when most people think "jeans" they automatically think "ripped, baggy, acid washed" (I'm shuddering at the thought). Jeans just aren't what they used to be anymore for women or men. My husband has many pairs of dress jeans that look nicer and crisper than most pairs of khaki's that other men insist on wearing because they think they don't have any other option.

Personally, I believe if you would like to wear jeans to dinner, you should dine at the buffet. The dining room is meant to be somewhat elegant and people not wearing the proper attire takes away from this. Does it keep me up at night? No, but it sure does annoy me.

HERE WE GO AGAIN:eek:

I dress according to the "GUIDELINES" for the evening dinner(my personal choice). However, I have seen all kinds of dress at both the formal and casual dinner times. If someone's dress, mannerism's, attitude. etc....affects how you judge your vacation.....I suggest that each indivudual has a decision to make. Are you in fact going to let such things affect your attitude and time spent away from work, or on the other hand.....you can entertain the thought that if something upsets you, do not focus on it. Truth of the matter is you will likely never see the mass of people you cruise with ever again. Just think of it as your "ignore list" of life.:rolleyes:

I just love these dress code debates. It's all about trying to impose your own beliefs on others. I personally do not wear jeans in the dining room, and wear a tux during formal nights, but that's my choice. I couldn't care less what other people wear. Frankly I've seen some individuals wearing what technically complies with the dress policies, and I'd much rather have them all covered up in a nice pair of jeans!

A former co-worker who recently retired cruises quite a bit. When he returns from the cruise, he spends hours spouting off about these kids wearing baseball hats in the dining rooms. That appears to be his big dress thing.

Bottom line, everyone has their own view about what is "proper". The world would be a much better place if everyone worried about how they conduct themselves (dress, speak, vote, worship, etc....) and not concern themselves with the way the others choose to conduct themselves.

If you read the original post, the question was asked about wearing jeans to the dining room. I don't think answering that question qualifies as trying to impose views. If you're going to ask a question, be prepared to receive answers you may not like.

I just love these dress code debates. It's all about trying to impose your own beliefs on others. I personally do not wear jeans in the dining room, and wear a tux during formal nights, but that's my choice. I couldn't care less what other people wear. Frankly I've seen some individuals wearing what technically complies with the dress policies, and I'd much rather have them all covered up in a nice pair of jeans!

A former co-worker who recently retired cruises quite a bit. When he returns from the cruise, he spends hours spouting off about these kids wearing baseball hats in the dining rooms. That appears to be his big dress thing.

Bottom line, everyone has their own view about what is "proper". The world would be a much better place if everyone worried about how they conduct themselves (dress, speak, vote, worship, etc....) and not concern themselves with the way the others choose to conduct themselves.

Well said. It is a matter of choice. There are no fashion police on board because if there were, many people would be arrested for lack of taste or lack of a mirror. Jeans? Go ahead. I too would rather judge a person by how they conduct themselves than by what they wear. This doesnt make them anarchists because they havent followed some standards which quite frankly are a bit dated. Sorry definitely do not want to start a debate (I do folllow the standards but have relaxed a bit as I have seen fewer and fewer tuxedos and long gowns on formal nights).

If you read the original post, the question was asked about wearing jeans to the dining room. I don't think answering that question qualifies as trying to impose views. If you're going to ask a question, be prepared to receive answers you may not like.

Agree... Some people cannot stand to see a simple answer to a simple question..

Archived