In-Suite Dining on Day of Embarkation

Cheesi

We're in a PH1 for the Tahiti cruise departing 4/7/13 on the Marina. At this point, the official version is that we don't get to board until 6:00 p.m. along with everyone else on the ship. Rather than dealing with the rush to the GDR, we're thinking of simply ordering our dinner to our cabin. Anyone know if full room service dining will be available on boarding?

I did a forum search but didn't find the answer to this one.

We're in a PH1 for the Tahiti cruise departing 4/7/13 on the Marina. At this point, the official version is that we don't get to board until 6:00 p.m. along with everyone else on the ship. Rather than dealing with the rush to the GDR, we're thinking of simply ordering our dinner to our cabin. Anyone know if full room service dining will be available on boarding?

Sorry, I don't have the answer but I do have a suggestion. Book a specialty dining room. We did that last time and enjoyed it.

We are also on this cruise but we are coming in 2 days prior. Many people are using the O air that comes in that evening. I would like to think that the GDR will be open since we are allowed to board at 6 pm and the GDR opens at 6:30 pm. In the past, we boarded early at maybe 2 pm and there was lunch on the Terrace Cafe. I would assume that you could order from the 24 hour menu to your room if you desire. There is a lot of confusion for this cruise.

Thanks for the responses to date. Hopefully someone will post who knows the answer.

Terrier1 - we're actually coming in 4 days prior to the cruise. Spending 2 on Moorea and then 2 in PPT before boarding the ship.

You're so correct on the "confusion on this cruise."

We had not planned on dining in our suite, but while dining in Toscana (on Regatta) on the first evening of the cruise I started to feel queasy, and they sent the revised entree, sides and dessert three decks down to our suite for our butler to serve us.

I much prefer dining lower in the ship, unless the seas are extremely calm...or we are docked.

Has anyone who has tried regular room service for dinner care to comment on how good (or not) it is? Also, can you order from the GDR menu along with the regular dinner menu for RS? FYI: We have a Conceirge cabin booked if that helps. And thanks for your replies!

While a little different with the late embarkation time but I'd still expect Room Service to be available around that time.

The GDR *might* not be as packed as you anticipate (depends so much on the make up on those on your sailing though). Some folks may have a late lunch on land & choose to eat later, some may want to unpack and unwind with a cocktail in one of the lounges, others choose to eat in Tapas for a casual dining after a long trip, the specialty restaurants will be open and there will be many with butler service who will be dining in their suite.

I am sure it will be busy throughout the ship that day but you will have options.

Enjoy Tahiti - should be an excellent cruise!

Has anyone who has tried regular room service for dinner care to comment on how good (or not) it is? Also, can you order from the GDR menu along with the regular dinner menu for RS? FYI: We have a Conceirge cabin booked if that helps. And thanks for your replies!

I have ordered from the Room Service menu just once. Good, prompt service & freshly prepared food. menu is reasonable in size with fairly standard selection; salads, (excellent) striploin steak, pasta as I recall, etc and very welcome after a long tiring day.

Sorry, no, the GDR menu is only available for cabins with butler service (above Concierge category)

Stayed in a PH on Riviera. Our butler served a number of dinners to us, course by course, from the GDR and from various specialty restaurants. We ate on the veranda. Very nice. Didn't try the first night (We dined at Polo Grill the first night. As I recall, there was not much of a crowd.)

Full Room Service in the Suites, and by that, I mean more than just canapes and cocktails, generally begins when the Specialty Restaurants start serving Dinner on the first night, which means that you are right on the money, time-wise.

However, with a 6 pm Embarkation, the staff will already have had rather a full day just turning the ship around, and with the Muster Drill to consider, AND crew breaks and mealtimes to schedule, that first day is bound to be a logistical nightmare for the hotel side of the ship.

You may depend on the fact that there will be In Suite Service, but you will probably need to be somewhat flexible about the time of your meal.

Excellent idea of enjoying the islands before you board the ship. On the dock in Papeete, at 6 pm, the Roulettes will have started their food service. Usually Crepes, Chinese and other French/local food. You may want to eat there before boarding. It's perfectly sanitary. Just a suggestion.

I am sure that everything will work out fine with embarkation and dinner as soon as you have settled into the Tahitian mood of taking it easy.

I have ordered dinner twice from the regular room service menu.

Once we ordered steak which was totally inedible. This was on Insignia. Another time on Marina a roast beef sandwich. I didn't know it was possible to slice meat so thinly. Almost invisible between the bread!

Avoid at all costs except for continental breakfast, a snack such as a cheese plate or dessert. The cheesecake and creme brûlée are quite tasty.

I didn't have high expectations, but if I had had none, even that wouldn't have been met....

My only real criticism of Oceania.

Mo

I have ordered dinner twice from the regular room service menu.

Once we ordered steak which was totally inedible. This was on Insignia. Another time on Marina a roast beef sandwich. I didn't know it was possible to slice meat so thinly. Almost invisible between the bread!

Avoid at all costs except for continental breakfast, a snack such as a cheese plate or dessert. The cheesecake and creme brûlée are quite tasty.

I didn't have high expectations, but if I had had none, even that wouldn't have been met....

My only real criticism of Oceania.

Mo

Remember that the Suite Room Service is not the same as that for the standard cabins. The OP will have the run of the Specialty Restaurant Menus.

We were on the January 16th Tahitian Breeze in a PH. You may want to check when the Oceania Air charters are scheduled to arrive that day. There were two charters, probably a total of 700 or so passengers. We were on the first to arrive (Air Tahiti Nui) at approximately 7:30 p.m. Since we had been up about 22 hours straight, we did not have dinner that evening. Our butler did not contact us until the next morning, probably because we had the Please Do Not Disturb sign up. The muster drill was held the next morning at 9:00 as the other charter didn't arrive until 11:00 p.m. or so. This would mean that the remaining 500 passengers were allowed to board at 6:00. On the day we left, departing passengers were allowed to remain in the public areas of the ship until 5:00. Apparently some of the embarking passengers (those with arrangements through Oceania) were allowed to board early. However, announcements indicated that they could not go to their cabins until 6:00 that evening.

"the boss" says yes...

Jancruz1

Excellent idea of enjoying the islands before you board the ship. On the dock in Papeete, at 6 pm, the Roulettes will have started their food service. Usually Crepes, Chinese and other French/local food. You may want to eat there before boarding. It's perfectly sanitary. Just a suggestion.

I am sure that everything will work out fine with embarkation and dinner as soon as you have settled into the Tahitian mood of taking it easy.

Great idea except that for our April 7th cruise we will have our luggage with us. Oceania hasn't made any arrangements to store the luggage until we can board at 6 pm. I really don't want to lug the stuff around the docks but I hear the roulettes are great.

On our Sept 2012 Riviera cruise, spouse was under the weather several days so we ordered plenty of room service (B4 Veranda, so no GDR/specialty restaurants).

Room service choices are generally slightly simpler than GDR, and portions a bit smaller in some cases. We thought it compared favorably to most hotel room service experiences-certainly our waits were shorter than normal land-side room service.

Spouse (who has very high food standards) really liked the pasta on the room service menu. He also particularly appreciated the beef consomme. I enjoyed both the steak (NY strip I think? didn't find the room service menu on the website to help jog my memory) and the roast chicken.

Archived