Cabin assignment???

winncruiser

We booked on the Caribbean Princess on Feb. 1st for a balcony gty for the March 23rd sailing. Our cabin showed up in the personalizer about a week after we booked - Caribe deck, mid-ship balcony. In the past, we have booked gty with Royal Caribbean and got our cabin assignment within a week of the departure. :cool:

still no cabin assignment....still hoping for an upgrade...sweet SUITE perhaps???

On my last cruise, we only got our cabin assignment a couple of days before sailing. No upgrade, just one category up from what I booked, L -> K. Don't hold your breath waiting for a big upgrade.

We booked a GF guaranty in September for a cruise this May and just received out cabin assignment yesterday. We got a BE on Emerald deck. Final payment is due on Friday.

Our TA does assure me that we remain on the upgrade list. But, looking at the deck plan this does not look like a bad location. We can always hope for another upgrade later.

Sue

Last time I booked guaranty, I was given my cabin number immediately, 18 months in advance. We got the lowest of the low. I would guess that your chances of a pleasant surprise improve if they cannot find a spot for you until the last minute.

Of course they could always make someone else an upsell off to clear a space at your level. You just never know. They have a lot of juggling to do and they do what it takes to keep accommodate everyone. Try not to miss any phone calls from the cruiseline or your TA. :) Last year we paid $400 for an upsell about 2 weeks before sailing for a cabin that would have originally cost us $3700 more.

We booked a GF guaranty in September for a cruise this May and just received out cabin assignment yesterday. We got a BE on Emerald deck. Final payment is due on Friday.

Our TA does assure me that we remain on the upgrade list.

I assume you meant booked a BF.

With the number of cabins in each category with the reclassification, upgrades of any kind, even within the same type of cabin, will occur much less than in the future. Where there used to be as few as four cabins in a category, now there can be almost 300. The Island, for example, now has 294 BE cabins.

If you think there is a better BE location you would prefer, your TA (or Princess if booked directly) would be willing to move you to any available BE cabin.

Loving all the responses to this thread. Still no cabin assignment. When I spoke with someone at 1-800-PRINCESS he said that cabins would be assigned afer final payment is due when some people may cancel; (sailing Ruby 3/10) so not exactly sure when that is/was.

Loving all the responses to this thread. Still no cabin assignment. When I spoke with someone at 1-800-PRINCESS he said that cabins would be assigned afer final payment is due when some people may cancel; (sailing Ruby 3/10) so not exactly sure when that is/was.

You are now well within the final payment period (and the Princess rep should have known that). Hope you get your cabin soon! :)

When I spoke with someone at 1-800-PRINCESS he said that cabins would be assigned afer final payment is due when some people may cancel; (sailing Ruby 3/10) so not exactly sure when that is/was.

Final payment was due 12/25/12.

STILL NO cabin assignment and sailing in FIVE days!!!
Patience. It is a guarantee, which means you could get an assignment as late as when you check in at the pier!

You are guaranteed a cabin at the category you purchased, or higher.

WELL....the upgrade fairy was KINDOF good to me....if Riviera 230 is good..that's what we got. I really was hoping for Caribe!!! or a mini-suite...oh well....now I'll know if I really want either of those I'll just have to book them!

WELL....the upgrade fairy was KINDOF good to me....if Riviera 230 is good..that's what we got. I really was hoping for Caribe!!! or a mini-suite...oh well....now I'll know if I really want either of those I'll just have to book them!

That looks good to me for a guarantee !! You have cabins above you and cabins below you. Should be a pretty quiet cabin and one floor from the Lido deck. Enjoy yourselves, we are cruising on the Ruby the week after you!!

Safe Travels.......:)

I searched for threads on guarantee cabins and this was a recent thread ... hope some of you with experience are still around. I will be traveling with my 83 yr old mother who has mobility issues. She is not confined to a wheel chair so we don't qualify for the handicap cabins (we can manage fine). I do however rent a wheel chair for her use. It is to be delivered to the cabin and we leave it there when we leave. I booked a guarantee Cabin for the first time and now wonder if that might cause a delay in getting the wc delivered (if cabin assignment is not made until check in). Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

I searched for threads on guarantee cabins and this was a recent thread ... hope some of you with experience are still around. I will be traveling with my 83 yr old mother who has mobility issues. She is not confined to a wheel chair so we don't qualify for the handicap cabins (we can manage fine). I do however rent a wheel chair for her use. It is to be delivered to the cabin and we leave it there when we leave. I booked a guarantee Cabin for the first time and now wonder if that might cause a delay in getting the wc delivered (if cabin assignment is not made until check in). Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Please excuse me for asking the obvious, but have you called Princess directly and discussed this with them?

We hear so often on CC that people who have no need for a handicap cabin are given them, simply because they are available. It seems to be that your mom is more entitled to one than most and she will need room to store the wheelchair even if she is not totally dependent on it. Why not ask if you can have one if there is one available?

Please excuse me for asking the obvious, but have you called Princess directly and discussed this with them?

We hear so often on CC that people who have no need for a handicap cabin are given them, simply because they are available. It seems to be that your mom is more entitled to one than most and she will need room to store the wheelchair even if she is not totally dependent on it. Why not ask if you can have one if there is one available?

Actually I did ask last May (2012) when I first scheduled this cruise for Aug 2012. We had to cancel that when my Mom was diagnosed with cancer. Her health is now restored & I promised to reschedule. Back to the issue, last year I was cited a Jan 2011 change in how handicap cabins are assigned. They are first assigned to those confined to wheel chairs. There was something requiring a signature to demonstrate I was abiding by this policy. Since I do know that others have deliberately reserved those special need cabins when they had no "special need", I have no problem with a strongly enforced policy that addresses these minimal number of cabins. Our needs are defined with Princess and it is possible that we will get assigned one those handicapped cabins if there is not a more demanding need. We will be able to manage in either case, but I want to ensure the WC gets delivered.

As long as your name is clearly identified, it'll be delivered to your assigned cabin. Even if someone arrives at the pier without an assigned cabin, the porters look it up by name and put a luggage tag on it. The same should hold true for the wheelchair. If it's not there after boarding, I'd go right to the Passenger Services Desk and inquire about it.

Good luck with your Mom. Celebrate her recovery and have a great cruise.

Pam, you are such an incredible source of info. 30,000 plus posts --- WOW!! I have followed your posts for several years and have probably learned more about cruising from you than any other single person. I sincerely thank you for your contributions, and look forward to the possibility of meeting you on a cruise some day.

However, with out a HC cabin, the wheelchair may not fit through the doorway into the cabin unless it is the foldable type. And the wheelchair cannot be left in the hallway instead of in the cabin.

I would contact Princess and see if a HC cabin is still available.

Archived