Breeze - dining/food questions

cruiseawaits

We're sailing on the BREEZE March 2nd, and I have a few "foodie" questions. Specifically: Does Cucina del Capitano serve lunch on embarkation day? Also, on Carnival's dining site it mentions that there are additional charges at Bonsai Sushi and the Red Frog Pub. But is there a charge for the following venues: Fat Jimmy's BBQ, Blueiguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Joint and The Punchliner Comedy Brunch?

Also, are reservations required for The Punchliner Comedy Brunch?

We're sailing on the BREEZE March 2nd, and I have a few "foodie" questions. Specifically: Does Cucina del Capitano serve lunch on embarkation day? Also, on Carnival's dining site it mentions that there are additional charges at Bonsai Sushi and the Red Frog Pub. But is there a charge for the following venues: Fat Jimmy's BBQ, Blueiguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Joint and The Punchliner Comedy Brunch?

Also, are reservations required for The Punchliner Comedy Brunch?

I can definitely help you with all your questions. Yes, Cucina serves lunch - you fill out a card picking your pasta, sauce, salad, bread if you want it. It is not family style like at dinner. (and it is free for lunch) Try their lasagna - it is very good! There are no charges for Fat Jimmy's (open sea days only) or Blue Iguana (try their breakfast burrito - it is great!) or Guys, or the Comedy Brunch. You can't make reservations for the Brunch - just go to the dining room on a sea day, and they will seat you.

Thanks for the info. At home today as office is closed due to all the white stuff outside-35 inches here, what about you?

I though trying Cucina del Capitano for lunch on emarkation day might be a good idea as everyone won't know about it when they arrive, and it will be less crowded than the buffet. I haven't read much about The Taste Bar. Did you try it? What are the hours?

I though trying Cucina del Capitano for lunch on emarkation day might be a good idea as everyone won't know about it when they arrive, and it will be less crowded than the buffet.

We did this on our recent Breeze cruise. There were lots of tables available. Also went on last day for lunch - by then many more had discovered it.

Fat Jimmy's is open on sea days - weather permitting. We were going to try it on the last sea day. It starting raining about 11:30 - after about 20 minutes they canceled it before they even started serving food.

Thanks for the info. At home today as office is closed due to all the white stuff outside-35 inches here, what about you?

I though trying Cucina del Capitano for lunch on emarkation day might be a good idea as everyone won't know about it when they arrive, and it will be less crowded than the buffet. I haven't read much about The Taste Bar. Did you try it? What are the hours?

The Taste Bar is open only in the evenings 5-8 (?) trying to remember, but like the sushi bar on other ships. Times and "menu" will be listed in each day's fun times. You get a couple of interesting small bites of food, typically one soup, one meat dish. Can be meh to very good, depending on your palate.

Another spot to take advantage of on embarkation day, or any day, is the Tandoori Grill on the port aft side of the Lido. Never a line always good food, especially the tandoori fish (which if you're creative can be used to make a fish naan sandwich. My fav is to grab a bunch of tandoori fish, then rush/walk fast back to mid ships to Blue Iguana and stand in a short taco line, not longer burrito line, and request extra tortillas, then make your own fish tacos--muy better than the ship's--using all the condiments at the salsa bar).

We're sailing on the BREEZE March 2nd, and I have a few "foodie" questions. Specifically:

Does Cucina del Capitano serve lunch on embarkation day? Yes, and you can get it to go or eat there. NO line and hardly any occupied tables when we got on.

Also, on Carnival's dining site it mentions that there are additional charges at Bonsai Sushi and the Red Frog Pub. But is there a charge for the following venues: Fat Jimmy's BBQ, Blueiguana Cantina, Guy's Burger Joint and The Punchliner Comedy Brunch?

Charges for Sushi and Red Frog. No charges for the others mentioned. Bonsai is VERY reasonably prices and very good. Try the Tempura Roll.

Also, are reservations required for The Punchliner Comedy Brunch? No.[/quote]

HTH

If you plan on going to Cucina del Capitano on embarkation day if you look in the fun times it will state what time it opens that day. It said 11am on our fun times so since we were on a b2b we went there at 11am. Needless to say the girl told us it was not open. Told us they were not opening until 12pm. I told her what the paper said and she said I was wrong...it opens at 12pm. Unfortunately I did not have the fun times with me to prove her wrong lol

Go on embarkation day and enjoy...it was great. We were on the ship for 14 days and I think we ate lunch there about 8 or 9 times.

Another spot to take advantage of on embarkation day, or any day, is the Tandoori Grill on the port aft side of the Lido.

The Tandoori Grill is on the starboard side, not port. The port side is the pizza station.

2069590477_ScreenShot2013-02-11at3_50_23PM.jpg.0c0bdf60d3e17ba1513b51637c40ff8b.jpg

We did Cucina for lunch and it was one of the best meals we had on the ship. I chose linguini and added alfredo sauce, garlic shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, spinach and broccoli. I also ordered their "meat lasagna" which seemed to have shredded pork, shredded beef and a ground meat. The only bread I ate on the ship was at Cucina. :) Unfortunately Cucina is directly underneath the basketball court, so there was a lot of thumping coming from above us during lunch.

Blue Iguana was also one of the best. It's like Chipotle in that you tell them what you want added to the burrito. I ordered a shrimp and steak burrito with a bunch of veggies. Then I realized the other side of the bar had a taco station, so I ordered a pork taco and a fish taco. There's a fixins' bar where you can add a variety of salsas, hot sauces, etc. I didn't eat but half of what I ordered, but I wanted to try everything! The fish taco was a weird breaded "pocket" of fish and was the only thing I disliked from Blue Iguana.

We had Jimmy's C-Side BBQ on our first sea day. We waited in line for about 10 minutes, but in the end it was worth it. A couple of the items were on the lukewarm to cold side, but the food was exposed to the breezy conditions, so there's no way it was going to be piping hot.

The first meal we had on the ship was from Guy's Burgers. Delicious as well!

The food at the Punchliner Comedy Brunch was average. I had a tomato soup of sorts, grits, bacon and "Funny French Toast" which was encrusted with Froot Loops. Coating french toast in cereal sounds "fun" in theory, but it was cold and stale. The comedy portion of the brunch was pointless because the comedian didn't tell any jokes. He was onstage for 5 minutes promoting his shows later in the evening and trying to sell CDs. We only went because we had to use our free drink coupons in the MDR.

We stumbled upon the Taste Bar on the first evening. There was quite a line, but we had nowhere else to be so we waited. The tastes of the evening were from Cucina's dinner menu. Meatballs and bruschetta. Apparently they bake the meatballs in really small batches because we waited forever. In the end, it was just average food. They charge $12 for dinner in Cucina and what I tasted didn't warrant the extra fee. Our MDR tablemates said that they had a made to order salad bar at the Taste Bar on the last sea day during lunch which was very good.

I was excited to sail on the Breeze since it's the newest Carnival ship and because I'd never sailed on a ship with the 2.0 upgrades. In the end, most of the upgrades were just more food venues which I wouldn't necessarily miss on a smaller ship. BUT, I made sure to visit as many of the food venues as possible and was impressed by most of them. :D

The Taste Bar is open only in the evenings 5-8 (?) trying to remember, but like the sushi bar on other ships. Times and "menu" will be listed in each day's fun times. You get a couple of interesting small bites of food, typically one soup, one meat dish. Can be meh to very good, depending on your palate.

Another spot to take advantage of on embarkation day, or any day, is the Tandoori Grill on the port aft side of the Lido. Never a line always good food, especially the tandoori fish (which if you're creative can be used to make a fish naan sandwich. My fav is to grab a bunch of tandoori fish, then rush/walk fast back to mid ships to Blue Iguana and stand in a short taco line, not longer burrito line, and request extra tortillas, then make your own fish tacos--muy better than the ship's--using all the condiments at the salsa bar).

GREAT Suggestion! :):):)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone eaten on the Lido deck for dinner rather than the main dining room? How was the food? Wondering because sometimes after a day in port we come back and end up taking a nap and have missed our dining time.

I just came back from the Breeze and did Lido Dinner a few times and it was fine. I don't have any complaints. I wouldn't go every night but I there are times that I just don't feel like getting ready for dinner.

Joanne

The Taste Bar is actually open at all dining times. In the morning even though the Fun Times says it only has a Continental Breakfast they also serve scrambled eggs, oatmeal, warm toast and croissants.

And then at lunch they have turkey wraps and custom made salads.

Has anyone eaten on the Lido deck for dinner rather than the main dining room? How was the food? Wondering because sometimes after a day in port we come back and end up taking a nap and have missed our dining time.

I occasionally eat in the Lido Buffet in the evenings (especially if I'm not dressing for Elegant Evening). I think the food is okay, there is a wide variety of salads and usually a couple of different entrees, fish, chicken, beef...a few sides, and a carving station.

The deli on the Lido is also open until 11pm and of course Pizza is 24 hours a day.

Archived