Just back from NCL Sky

clwalkermn

Just returned from first cruise on NCL having cruised on HAL and Disney previously. We were on 3 night Bahamas cruise on Norwegian Sky. In short we were disappointed by the level of service as well as the quality of food. I will give NCL another chance in the future as I heard from staff on board that the Sky is their poorest example of their product which is okay because the cruise was very inexpensive, but it certainly wasn't what I expected.

Just returned from first cruise on NCL having cruised on HAL and Disney previously. We were on 3 night Bahamas cruise on Norwegian Sky. In short we were disappointed by the level of service as well as the quality of food. I will give NCL another chance in the future as I heard from staff on board that the Sky is their poorest example of their product which is okay because the cruise was very inexpensive, but it certainly wasn't what I expected.

So the staff that was performing poorly admitted they were performing poorly? Did you follow up and ask them why they don't improve?

Service was lacking. We only saw our stateroom attendant once the entire cruise. (On other cruises we've been on they greet you the first day and ask you how everything is, etc.) We are not big drinkers but the few times we went to a bar to get a cocktail we had to wait longer than seemed necessary given there was maybe one other guest at the bar at that time. The first day on board we ate lunch in main dining room and both ordered a steak. We were asked how we'd like that done and said medium to medium rare (some pink) and in both cases it was well done...we just ate it. Dinner was in Cagney's a specialty restaurant. Same thing...ordered prime rib medium rare...and it came well done. Again we just ate it. Also had a odd taste. The gratin potatoes it was served with didn't seem fully done.

We later chatted with the cruise consultant while considering buying one of the NCL Rewards certificates, which we did, and he said the Sky is probably the poorest example of their product and that Cagney's on the Sky is nowhere near as good as it is on say Epic.

We'll give NCL another try, but it will be on Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, etc.

I think it just goes to show how two different people can have two different experiences or at least have two different outlooks. My wife and I were on the Sky three weeks ago for the four day cruise and my only real complaint was that we wish it had been a longer cruise and it would have been nice to have more time in the ports.

That said, we noticed the steak thing too even in Cagney's. We ordered all the way down to medium and they always seemed to come out well done. One time medium well. However, we barely gave it a passing thought as the steak itself still tasted good.

We don't drink, so didn't try any of the bars except to get popcorn from Longboards. The bartender finished up the drink he was making for someone else and came right on over to see what he could do for us.

We also saw our room steward multiple times a day, but then we're also cabin people. We go do something and come back to the cabin. Go do something else and back to the cabin. Not sure about the OP.

I will say this, the Pride of America has a much better buffet design than the Sky. I don't think people on our cruise realized that the long buffet bar was actually repeated two or three times and so we avoided the buffet during meal times because it was just one long line. Great Stirrup Cay has the same bad design in my opinion.

I will say this though, any day on a cruise ship is better than being at work. I've got another cruise on the NCL Pearl booked for September and that won't be the last NCL cruise that I take.

I agree with the feedback that a day on a cruise ship is better than a day at work. All in all it was great to get away. We did have a good time on the cruise but wanted to share my observations.

We also are frequently at our cabin which is why it surprised us to see our attendant only once the entire cruise.

The cruise director did announce that after many, many years on the Sky that he was leaving and would be on a ship in Europe. In recognizing the staff on the Sky, he made the comment from stage that the Sky is a hard ship to work on...thought that was odd for him to say in that venue.

It seems you get two different reviews from this ship, the ones who go on the four day seem to like it but the ones on the three day seem to have a different cruise all together. It's very disappointing to hear employees talk that way. If they aren't happen then they should move on. We are going on the Sky in June and are looking forward to it. We are going on a four day.

It seems you get two different reviews from this ship, the ones who go on the four day seem to like it but the ones on the three day seem to have a different cruise all together. It's very disappointing to hear employees talk that way. If they aren't happen then they should move on. We are going on the Sky in June and are looking forward to it. We are going on a four day.

See my comments above. We went on two separate three-day cruises on the Sky. Would go again in a second.

We were on a 3-day on the Sky and had a fantastic time! It was our first ever cruise, so had nothing to compare it to, but it gave us a taste for cruising.......and a taste for NCL!! :)

Our experience on the Sky was of good food, good atmosphere.....and most of all.....excellent staff anywhere we went! We would certainly sail the Sky again. :)

The cruise director did announce that after many, many years on the Sky that he was leaving and would be on a ship in Europe. In recognizing the staff on the Sky, he made the comment from stage that the Sky is a hard ship to work on...thought that was odd for him to say in that venue.

Cruise director Archie and his cruise staff were a highlight of our 4-night sailing on the Sky last December. I understand completely what he is saying about working on the Sky, as the Sky crew have to turn over the ship twice each week. No other crew in the fleet does this. It requires much more enthusiasm and energy to bond with 2,000 new passengers knowing they'll be gone in a couple more days.

I'm sorry your cruise didn't meet your expectations. It's particularly a shame given that so many of us have had fantastic sailings on the Sky. Better luck next time. And I hope I see Archie on the Spirit in September. :p

Sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you'll give NCL's longer itineraries and newer ships a try.

I'm one of those on the 3-day and had a pleasant time. The Sky is one of the oldest ships in the fleet and predates newer ships designed specifically for "Freestyle Cruising". I believe the Sun, built two years later, was first designed for it. However, I still enjoyed the consistency of the product on the Sky, friendly crew, and overall very nice service. The buffet lacked the nice layout or variety of the newer ships but I still found things I enjoyed.

I only saw my steward the very first time to hunt her down to give a tip the day before leaving, and another time later in the hall in passing. I can tell you the bright grateful smile she gave was priceless. My stateroom was made up and tidy each day and I can only imagine how hard the stewards work to make up cabins for new passengers twice a week on what is billed as a "party cruise" running short 3 and 4 day itineraries.

We will be traveling on the Sky in June. It will be our first NCL cruise after many with RCI and a few with Princess. We are curious to try something different.

Not long after booking online (a couple if days, a cruise consultant from NCL called me and tried to talk me out of the Sky. He said it was a poor representation of their brand and we should reconsider. That was his exact words. I was shocked to be honest, but not deterred. We want to give it a shot.

We will be traveling on the Sky in June. It will be our first NCL cruise after many with RCI and a few with Princess. We are curious to try something different.

Not long after booking online (a couple if days, a cruise consultant from NCL called me and tried to talk me out of the Sky. He said it was a poor representation of their brand and we should reconsider. That was his exact words. I was shocked to be honest, but not deterred. We want to give it a shot.

Wow, I'm surprised by the PCC's comments. Just out of curiosity, are you doing the 3-night or the 4-night? That extra day makes a big difference, plus something about the mid-week crowd rather than the weekend crowd. :cool:

We're doing the 4 night.

We've done 7 night cruises in the past few years but my wife just wants a quick cruise to go along with a few days on the beach (in Miami). The rates were good and I'm curious to try NCL since they have some nice itineraries to Bermuda and other places that appeal to us.

But yeah I was shocked by his comments. To be fair, I think he thought we might be disappointed after being on some of Royal's new ships but we actually like the older ships too.

And we've done the 3-4 nighters on the Sovereign class ships many times and it's the same way. The 4 night is fun and a little wild with families. The weekend is crazy.

We are excited to try NCL's freestyle dining though we realize the Sky is a bit limited. Can you get reservations for the pay/fee restaurants in advance? Are there any restrictions for kids? We have an 11 year old daughter with an adult palatte.

We are trying the Sky next weekend and I am pretty excited. I love the Sun and we will be boarding her 2 days later but we figured since we had to fly to Miami anyway, we would extend our trip by doing a weekend cruise. So excited to try a different ship.

I don't have a lot of expectations based on some of the things I have read but I do expect to have a great time! Like people have said, you can have two people on the same cruise and have different experiences. I am positive ours will be great! Although I will be a little embarassed to be boarding a weekend cruise with 2 50lb pieces of luggage:D

Archived