Airplane tickets

cruisinamy

I feel for your friend - I am on the heavy side but no where near where I need two seats (thank you). I always book an aisle seat so I am comfortable as well as my seat mates. I can see why they have to book 2 seats though - I have sat by extremely large people and it is not comfortable, they take up not only their seat buy mine as well and I have little to share - I paid the same price as he did but he is also taking over mine and that is not fair for to me. Have him check business class as some of those seats are bigger and of course first class he has his own seat and does not have to share with person beside him. Hope he can find some solution but very much doubt it.

At the present time, all major airlines (including Southwest) have similar Customer Size policies. The definition varies slightly from one to another (some require passengers to be able to sit with both armrests down, while others require passengers to be able to fasten their seatbelt without needing a seatbelt extender. Others may require both).

It's my understanding though that if the airline is able to accomodate the passenger without inconveniencing another passenger (for example, if the flight isn't full and the seat next door remains open), then the airline will not charge (or refund) the cost of the second seat.

Call each airline individually (even if its time consuming). You'll get more accurate answers than on a cruise line website...:o

He weighs like 380 pounds. Does that help?

Not really, since it depends on how the weight is distributed - shape is more important than the number.

Regardless, if your friend can't fit into a single seat (width), he'll need need to book a second seat. The size of the seat is pretty easy to determine - look on SeatGuru.com for the type of plane and airline, and it will tell you the seat width of the seats in all the available classes. He can then test at home if he can fit into that space. The seat width varies between airlines and plane types.

He might find it more economical to book a upper class of seat (business or first) rather than two economy seats - or maybe not, but it's worth checking.

Does anyone know of a airline that doesn't charge two seat fares for heavy passengers? A friend of mine contacted American Airlines and they told him he would have to buy two seats for the trip. Can someone please help?

No, if you want two seats, you have to pay for both of them. Most airlines have "Passenger of size" information on their webpages, or here's an article discussing policies on most of them:

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/13060972/airline-customer-of-size-poli/

Have him buy first class seats

Fully Refundable

No change ticket fees

2 bags of checked luggage free

Possible entrance to the airlines private lounge at the airport

Though buying 1st class is a good idea, a few corrections.

Some, not all are fully refundable.

Some, not all have change fees.

Very few domestic (if any) airlines give access to private lounge for first class.

I would for sure check into what first class is on your flights. It is often not more. Sometimes way more.

As to paying for two seats. Though this is policy, it is also reality. An airline sells you 18-20" of space to get from point A to point B. On the plane there there are 2, or 3 seats on each side. They expect to put somebody in each of those seats. If you need more than that 18-20" of space, it is not right for the person that PAID for their seat to give it up. It is simple business. Not mean airline people.

better still why don't you recommend that they just buy the airline.

why?

If buying 2 seats costs $500 in economy, they're probably not refundable, you still have to pay for checked luggage, you still have to pay for inflight meal.

Pay a little more and get it all free with better service and more comfort.

We have this problem when we fly as DH needs a seat belt extender. Some business class seats are only slightly wider than a coach seat and you can't put the armrest down. Review the dimensions at the airline web site. Of course there can always be an equipment change to add to problems! In coach we share the 2 seats, but it would be best to buy the extra seat. More recently we fly first class (which I have come to enjoy!) Remember that bulkhead seats have immovable armrests, so don't book that.

The days of an open seat next to you are long gone...planes are always packed.

Karen

In Canada the airlines adopted the 2 seats policy a couple of years ago. Someone launched a lawsuit claiming discrimination. Of course, the courts upheld for the complainant and the Canadian airlines can no longer charge 2 seats for persons of size. This bothers me to have someone spill into my seat and get more room for the same price, also making my flight more uncomfortable. It may seem petty, but I will not allow the person to put the arm rest up. Although many flights are full to capacity, I flew 4 differnt routes on Tuesday and not one was full. Two of them were about 3/4 capacity, and the last one, in a regional jet from LGA to Wilmington had 5 passengers. That was definitely not a money maker and I will not be surprised to find that it is discontinued as one of the other pax told me he had flown the opposite way 2 nights previously and there were only 11 pax on that flight.

It wouldn't cost them too much money - maybe in one row instead of 3 seats have 2 larger ones and reserve them for larger people until the day of the flight or something.

That does suck for travel with the Canadian airlines, I sympathize when I person can't fit in a small airplane seat, but then the the other person next to a larger person shouldn't be uncomfortable either

I wish the airlines would have at least two seats for larger people It wouldn't cost them too much money - maybe in one row instead of 3 seats have 2 larger ones and reserve them for larger people until the day of the flight or something.

They do, you just have to pay for them.

That does suck for travel with the Canadian airlines

I don't understand this. In this situation, Canadian airlines, by law, must provide you with an extra seat at no charge. It only "sucks" for the other passengers who are, of course, subsidizing this seat for the "passenger of size".

It wouldn't cost them too much money - maybe in one row instead of 3 seats have 2 larger ones and reserve them for larger people until the day of the flight or something.

You may not realize the razor-thin profits on a typical flight. A LAX-JFK transcontinental flight will make about $150 profit. That's for the entire flight, *not* per passenger. Going from 3+3 to 2+2 in one row will turn it into a loss which must be subsidized by other passengers. Airlines already have a 2+2 option where the passenger of size pays for it...it's called First Class :)

Archived