HELP - New to cruising and going solo first time

angeleyez915

Ok ... so I have a ton of questions but dont even really know where to start other than I know what destination I would like... I am would love to do a Bahamas cruise and hoping to do so mid to late march. I know that is pretty short notice so i guess first question is how do i find good deals on cruise and flight combinations? I live in Ohio and would need to fly to the port of departure. Also, since i've never been on a cruise I have no idea what to expect. I am doing this because I am in desperate need of some "me" time and I have always dreamed of going to the Bahamas. I have read some of the other posts where people are talking about how there is plenty of food - my question about that is the food all inclusive? I have also read about alcoholic beverages being fairly expensive. What should i expect for activities on the ship as well as off. Biggest question is as I am going alone are there any do/dont's that could be suggested for personal safety.

There are sources for last-minute bookings, which is about what you are talking about. Even Cruise Critic runs CruCon (or whatever) that lists some upcoming cruises and some discounted fares. You can also contact the cruise lines and see what they have. I would think, but don't really know, that as the season winds down, there may be more openings.

Flights are another matter. I have used kayak.com and other services to find cheap flights. Again, the season is getting towards the end, so you might get lucky. It can be very hit-or-miss though. Look at Southwest and AirTran if you are near Cleveland.

As to what to expect --- a good, relaxing time. Bahamas cruises tend to be fairly short -- a day in Nassau, a day on the line's private island, and maybe a sea day. There aren't many stops in the Bahamas.

Food is included, though most lines charge extra for specialty dining venues. On some lines the specialty venues are not much better than the MDR (Main Dining Room), and on other lines the specialty dining venues are very good. You can ask some questions on the various lines' boards, and read a lot of posts to get the general average sentiment on this. Food is subjective, and wait for a bunch of responses. Soft drinks are free on some lines now, still charged for on others. Iced tea, lemonade, etc., are always free. Alcohol is not free, not even the drink-on-the-day as you board -- you will pay for that! On the other hand, it is your vacation, and you should try to enjoy yourself.

Every line has activities during sea time -- evenings and all day on sea days. This could be trivia contests, bingo, lectures, cooking demonstrations, etc., etc., etc. There are also pools, deckchairs to lounge on, etc. It is unlikely you will be bored. Spa treatments will be extra, and may be costly. Ships have exercise rooms, and you can walk around to your heart's content. Then too you will be meeting new people and that is often more fun than many of the other things. CC'ers will usually have a meet and greet the first day. Once you zero in on a cruise, join the roll call in the roll call section of these boards, and you will have a quick way of meeting some new people the first day aboard.

Ships are reasonably safe places. You shouldn't worry wandering around the ship at almost any time. The Bahamas can be another story, and you do need to be careful there, as on many islands in the Caribbean as well. On the islands, I would try to stay with a group as much as possible.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Since you are a Solo cruiser -- do you want a cabin alone? You may be too late to book one -- and the prices are higher for single cruisers.

Are you able to do a 7 day cruise? The shorter cruises tend attrack the "party" crowd.

Check out "Solo Cruisers" here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Yes i was looking to do a 7 day cruise. Why would going solo be more expensive than with two or more people?

Going solo is more expensive because you are the only one paying for the cabin whereas if there are two people, you are splitting the cost of the cabin.

Yes i was looking to do a 7 day cruise. Why would going solo be more expensive than with two or more people?

We solos have to pay a single supplement. You see, all cabins on a cruise ship charge based on double occupancy, and if a solo person books they have to pay the double occupancy. So, if the cabin you pick is $500 per person, a solo would pay $1000, minus the double port taxes. At times you might find the supplement a bit lower, but you can't count on that.

Of all the places I've been in the Caribbean, the Bahamas are probably my least favorite. I personally feel they're overrated as a vacation and cruise destination. But you can take a Bahamas cruise and judge for yourself.

I've done over 10 solo cruises, and highly recommend it as a good way for a single woman to travel. Use the same precautions you would use if you were traveling by yourself anywhere else. I've not found alchohol prices to be any higher than what I'm used to paying at a good restaurant here in Nashville. Food is abundant and available 24 hrs. in various venues, including room service.

I also recommend a cruise lasting at least 7 days. The solo cruisers board here is very helpful. You won't get negative reactions to solo cruising.

Roz

Archived